Lights Lights Lights Lights!!!

Heavly Weeded

IM trying to grow in my bathroom... cuz the window provides nice sunlight and cuz its prolly the best place to keep it concealed... I have 2 100 watt bulbs set up that each produce 1690lumens each... and I havea mirror that reflects the rays aswell....I was wondering if this would be enough to get it into the vegging stage?....if not....then what could I buy that WOULD accomplish this within... the 30-50 dollar range??

Im in america ^_^ :bush:

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vlad (the impala)

• malawi monster

• BushDoctoR

• sittingrelaxing

IM trying to grow in my bathroom... cuz the window provides nice sunlight and cuz its prolly the best place to keep it concealed... I have 2 100 watt bulbs set up that each produce 1690lumens each... and I havea mirror that reflects the rays aswell....I was wondering if this would be enough to get it into the vegging stage?....if not....then what could I buy that WOULD accomplish this within... the 30-50 dollar range??

Im in america ^_^ :bush:

in a bathroom,full of nasty condensation that will help your bud rot,nice window to provide light,and let everyone see your furry friends and lose light from your 2 100w lights which we havent the foggiest what sort!And to top it all off he,s got a mirror to eat even more light,wow what an amazing plan!listen BUDDY ....1st id do a little homework,<take a look round the boards>then id try raise just a little more than thirty or fifty dollars unless you plan to buy some SOAP for your bathroom :puke:

Hey Heavly Weeded,

Well, what malawi was trying to say, was use the search option and do a search on lights, ventilation and such like in the site. It will tell you tons of good info of what to do and more importantly what not to do.

The basics for lighting are - regular house hold lights are no good, they give out the wrong sort of light. Fluoresant lights ( normal or compact ) are okay for starting out in but don't expect great grows. There are several places to get cheap High Pressure Sodium lights on the web, and many have been talked about on this site...do the search thingy... :(

Same with ventilation, and watering etc....just do a wee search and all your answers will be found.

Oh aye, a bathroom is not a great idea. Ignoring all the grow factors, what if you get vistitors? friends family? or worse..the police? and they need to go for a piss? Best advice is to grow somewhere no one can see or hear. lLike a converted wardrobe or inan attic or basement or somewhere similar.

Good luck.

Edited by Nagual

c'mon MM don't be a meanie! I see no reason why a plant shouldn't be grown there -it may not be perfect, but with a bit of care it should be possible - if he gives them a minimum of 18 hours a day of light until vegging - then uses blackout blinds to cut it down to 12 hours a day - anything that helps bring more light in helps (dunno why people have this odd idea that mirrors "suck up and destroy light" -they reflect it!) If the sun doesn't shine for long enough, I'd add a few compact fluorescents - cheap, cheerful, and great for vegging!

Flowering the perishers will probably need more light, but the main problem here is maintaining 18/6, then 12/12 - the sun will be wonderful for them, it just has this habit of not being there all the time when you need it! :(

wassup HW??

the best place to go for cheap lights is building supply shops

i dont know american prices, but you should be able to get at least a 70w HPS for less than $50

he,s got a mirror to eat even more light

mylar is 98% reflective, a mirror has got to be at least 99.5% reflective, i cant imagine much light getting "eaten", and it sure beats wallpaper :(

listen BUDDY ....1st id do a little homework

good idea MM :ninja:

>>BushDoctoR<<

post-29-1059685414.gif

thnx everyone, the reason I was using those lamps is cuz HC.com said that 2500 lumens persquare feet should be enough light...and I thought that If I had 2 lamps that put out 1690 + a mirror and a window with good lighting.. that it would be enough...

but since you guys have taught me different...I moved the current pot outside in a good lighted area... and Ima save up around 300 dollars until I try to grow inside again...

cuz If Ima do it inside.....Ima do it right... so next time Ima get a HPS light and a good spot....

the other set up was just the result of me being in a rush....(wont happen again :taz: )

bushdoctor im sure if you do your homework aswell you will find that my :ninja: mirror eats light theory is correct so whistle away mate :wassnnme:

Guest cali-trap
bushdoctor im sure if you do your homework aswell you will find that my :ninja: mirror eats light theory is correct so whistle away mate :wassnnme:

http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~flavios/proplit.htm

question:

if a mirror is a smoother and more polished surface than mylar, why would it eat light?

your mirror eats light theory is completely, utterly and horrendously wrong. if a mirror ate light then you couldn't see yourself in it.

Indeed if a mirror ate light you wouldn't be able to reflect the sun with it and dazzle somebody. And some Roman bloke used light reflected off of peoples sheilds to set fire to something, once, sometime in the past, urm I think.

bushdoctor im sure if you do your homework aswell you will find that my :smug: mirror eats light theory is correct so whistle away mate :smoke:

:rolleyes::blub::magic::magic::wassnnme:

found these little thingys :

How do mirrors work? 

We see objects in a mirror, because a mirror, when hit by particles of light called photons, reflects the photons back to us and some reach, and enter, our eyes. Photons that hit a rough surface will bounce off of the surface in a haphazard manner, while those that hit a smooth surface, such as a mirror, only bounce off of the surface at the same angle at which they hit the object. The scientific term for this phenomenon is reflection.

Not all smooth surfaces reflect photons back to us, even though, technically, they should bounce back at the same angle at which they hit the surface. This exception to the rule results, because some smooth surfaces absorb the light particles hitting them, making it impossible for them to bounce back.

Another apparent exception to this rule is that, although our bodies are rough, uneven surfaces, off of which light bounces at random angles, our images reflect off of a mirror. The reason for this apparent contradiction is simply that when we stand in front of a mirror, some, but not all, of the light particles bouncing off of us will hit the smooth surface of the mirror. The ones that do reflect our images back to our eyes at exactly the same angle at which they hit the mirror.

In other words, photons that bounce off of any part of our bodies and hit the mirror reflect back to our eyes from only one place on the mirror, and at only one angle. It follows that each point on our bodies that reflects back to our eyes from one point on the mirror produces an image in the mirror. All of the images together make up our reflections, like it or not. And remember that mirrors don't lie!

From here

and this:

8. Do mirrors ever absorb light? - No they reflect light

From here...

And another one....

:innocent::yep:lol:(

I don't think it eats light but I thinks it creates a hot spot somewhere because your light bulb is focusing it's light on a single spot on the mirror and the mirror will reflect that light more intensly so you get double the light on one sp[ot of the plant or something like that nature...

-F1ve

Guest cali-trap
Indeed if a mirror ate light you wouldn't be able to reflect the sun with it and dazzle somebody. And some Roman bloke used light reflected off of peoples sheilds to set fire to something, once, sometime in the past, urm I think.

greek. parabolic mirrors reflect and concentrate light. they also use them in laser technology, i think.

Malawi means in comparioson to white painted walls or mylar in a grow room mirrors would reflect less light. The glass supposedly reduces the light transmitted back from the reflective surface so white paint or mylar reflect a greater proportion of the available light. In the 250 to 600 watt world we all live in though does it really matter. And just for clarity mirrors dont eat light, the will eat your last custard cream though so watch the buggers.

it is us that reflects the light it is the mirror that absorbes it :yinyang: but if you wanna argue it,dont bother try it :unsure: in reference to naqual,s little finds:MIT SCIENTISTS,by bruce schechter...quote<most significant advance in mirror technology><there INVENTION which they are calling the PERFECT mirror combines the best features of the TWO previously known mirrors by reflecting light at ANY ANGLE with vitually no loss of ENERGY.It promises to have significant applications in many fields,incuding fiber optics,celluar telephones,energy conservation,medicine,spectroscopy and even perhaps CAKE DECORATION. well at least it will come in handy somewhere if not the grow room,there u go thats the difference between a normal mirror,so unless yor a scientist or have a serious amount of money to buy one of these mirrors,id stick with the paint or mylar........u guys just crack me up......................cheers naqual :(:):)

Edited by malawi monster