why grow organic?

BushDoctoR

hellooo 420,

is there a reason why people choose organic over hydro?

im growing in soil at the moment but was planning DWC for my next grow, would DWC with organic nutes be organic?

>>mArLzTaH<<

:smoke:

Mostly some people believe that they rather be 100% organic to be as close as nature has done it. But the other reason I can think of is because "what goes in must come out". Therefore when you stuff your roots with mucho amounts of synthetic chemicals, well you get the idea. Some people grow without flushing during the end and the toke can make you :wassnnme: .

Detoxed

yea i grow in soil and try to keep as organic as i can for the reason i dont want to smoke what i put in but then i do flush aswell even tho im in soil and using organic feeds

Same but I must stress that in hydro you don't really have a choice unless you want to encounter all sorts of disasters.

Detoxed

aquaponics?

ive got a fish tank!!!

anyone got any links to do some reasearch???

>>mArLzTaH<<

:wassnnme:

Absolutely I do have some links. For general stuff, check out Aquaponics.com.

There are a few different discussion boards that talk about it as well, like Overgrow.com, cannabisworld.org, and weedpost.com. I don't want to ruffle any feathers linking to them, but search for aquaponics in google and there are lots of hits.

It's a fascinating subject, check it out. Maybe we can start up the interest here. :cat:

mArLzTaH do you know what you are asking. How are you defining organic, ie: like white sugar is organic as a chemical. Or what is considered certified organic produce for human consumption.

In Europe and even more so here in the uk. Organic food and products are very strictly regulated. Take the end of the food chain say a beef bull.

He has to be raised on land that has only been cultivated with organic products and specified methods for at least 3 and usually 4 or 5 years before the bull calf is moved onto the land.

Before that land gets its organic certification samples are tested to check there are no residual chemical fertilisers, fungicides, insecticides and herbicides. Any additional food the calf is fed has to be produced on organically certified land and also tested clear of GMO’s. No hormone growth promoters are allowed neither are routine antibiotics. If the animal gets sick it can be treated with antibiotics but it has to be isolated and penned, all its waste has to be collected and disposed of off the farm until after all traces of the antibiotic have cleared his system. If it was treated in the field and crapped their, if found out the farm would loose its organic standard.

The amount of animals that can be stocked to the acre is severely restricted and animal welfare is of the highest order. The whole thing is about making a sustaining environment in a natural way.

It means when you buy an organic lettuce that any manure dug in to fertilise the ground came from animals fed and grazed on land that was also completely chemically free, its a closed circle.

I try and grow my plants as close as I can to organic principles, but because 1. I grow on pots. 2 I grow under lights. Even if puff was totally legal in the uk I could not sell it as an organic product! Final crops in pots are not allowed and even worse I’m being an environmental polluter using all that electricity and the Co2 it produces.

I recycle my compost, tilling it into my allotment I grow fruit and vegetables on it.

In the good old US of A the so called organic farmers can use chemical like sulphate of potash and loads of other things, in fact more than our intensive chemical farmers here can. American corporate firms have tried to push organic hydro here for strawberry and tomato production. All hydroponics and bioponic are classed as worse than chemical farming now.

How many puff growers do you think take their waste water to a recycling centre. I bet none, what happens to it? Where does it go to?

Knowing the size of the uk’s underground industry I would say its several thousand gallons a day. Not much you might think, but its virtually impossible for the water extraction companies to remove the nitrites, nitrates and phosphates. Where do we start caring for the environment we live in. What is the cost, who should pay and what does organic mean, dammed If I know, you tell me.

• Like 17

????????? :laser: ?????????

This is a forum about organic growing.

The answer to your questions is that: indoor growing under lights is not organic, as defined by the organic movement in europe.

As a system of growing: no hydroponic/bioponic system is defined or considered as organic.

Aquaponics are part of the intensive factory farming culture just the same as battery chicken are.

• Like 3

i understood u ot1 and i think youre quite right in trying to define the terms we casually bandy about.

strictly speaking 'organic' means that the molecule concerned has carbon attached .however the term now represents a plethora of modern initiatives that are not so easy to understand.

to return to the original question , if all you are concerned about is your smoke then grow with chems , apart from nefarious 'karma' issues the puff grown in your 'nf tea tray' will be no better or worse for you personally than 'organically' grown stuff.

however .. if you care for the planet and your fellow inhabitants then you must consider the more natural option .

its a bit like organic food in tesco, no one can categorically state that the stuff is better for you despite the current debate about pesticides and growth promotors,but there is no doubt that it is better for everyone else and the environment (and therefore ultimately you as well)

BUT....theres a war on ...and to win it we must sink the opposition with a tidal wave of THC , and if we have to take up the weapons of nft , co2 etc. etc. to do it then so be it .

i want to see my brothers and sisters growing weed and if the thought of carrying half a ton of bat guano up the loft ladder is going to stop them then we should be encouraging them to do it any way they can until this ridiculous prohibition is over

love and light

c f

• Like 2

nice one, :yep:

so my plants will not be organic, got it ;)

if you care for the planet and your fellow inhabitants then you must consider the more natural option

i will keep that in mind :ninja:

>>mArLzTaH<<

:laser:

if you are growing hydro with an "organic tea solution" you are going to have serious ph and nute level problems, the thing about hydro is getting all the numbers right, you can't just throw any old fertilizer in and hope for the best or you will probalbly end up with sick plant. Remember the chems are design specifically for hydro to give the plant the proper balance of nute that they would normally get from the soil.

Just a thought.

Well I have to agree that the term 'organic' is somewhat ambiguous and open to interpretation.

I guess the definition most people believe it to mean is no chemical fertilizers, pesticides or herbicides. But whether or not that is the manufacturers definition is a different story - after all, free range hens can be stuffed 1000 to a shed, never getting out and still be called free range if they're not penned into individual cages.

As far as using organic fertilizers go, they also contain nitrates, etc. from natural sources.

I am somewhat on the fence about this whole organic thing - on a scientific level I guess the base nutrients are exactly the same molecules but as far as more complex molecules go they can be left or right 'handed' (due to the geographic asymmetrical composition of the atoms in the molecule) and only one form of handedness is usually found in natural sources - amino acids, etc.

Personally I grow NFT - my plants have never felt the rays of the sun or the dirt between their roots but I have started using Earth Juice.

As mentioned further up this thread pH is a problem, and the lack of any serious chemical composition data (all they give are NPK ratios) means your guessing and leaving it in the lap of the gods. (OK, so it's from natural sources and compositions may vary somewhat from bottle to bottle but a ball-park set of figures would be nice)

I mainly feed my girls with Canna Aqua, but I use the EJ as a booster and I'm planning to flush with the organics. The problem is that (apart from all the damn silt) the pH seems to rise quite quickly after I've added the EJ (Canna Aqua is pH buffered to 5.5) - yesterday after flushing the tank/remixing nutes the pH was 5.5 - majic, but 6 hours later it had risen to 6.5! - still thats what phosphoric acid was invented for!

Edited by Acid Mutant