Earthing my reflector

grower23

I know this has probobly been covered before but my searches aren't unearthing what I'm looking for.

Took delivery of 400 W light today. Been wiring bits up but I need to know where to put the earth on the reflector/bulb holder end?

Thanks.

g23

hiya grower23, there should be a hole on the reflector, just behind where the bulb sits ? make sure you have enough uncovered cable and simply feed it through the hole and wrap it around, secure it to the back of the fitting and your good to go ;), you did also get a contactor didnt you ?! if not DO NOT plug that 400w light strainght into your house electrics please. you can pick up a contactor for £20(ish) from fastlight i cant remember exactly why you cant plug them in you just cant trust me on this one.

if there is any other help you need please post away okely dokely.

keep safe, remember if you get stuck or arnt sure stop and ask, your safety is more important than a couple of plants !!

hemlok

Thanks for that I didn't realise you had to have a contactor, I thought it was only if you had a timer on it. I've got a contactor anyway.

There is a hole for the cable at the back. So if I'm getting this ritght I've got to attach the earth wire to the back of the bulb holder - in between the bulb holder and reflector right?

;)

Picture:

post-17-1054569009_thumb.jpg

And also on the issue of safety first is an uncovered ballast, as shown below safe to use?

thanks agai,

g23

post-17-1054569125_thumb.jpg

firstly, yep for the ground wire, as you pass the cable through the holder you wire the brown and blue wires to the lamp holder and the ground just poke it through a hole on the plate where the lamp haolder is fixed and bend the wire over so it doesnt move.

great that you have camera, please keep posting if need be :wassnnme: actually, wire it up as you think it should be then take a piccie ok !? should make this a little easier for us both.

and yes your ballast looks just like mine budd, if anything not having a cse on will help it run a little cooler.

keep up the good work

take care

hemlok

:headpain: bingo, thats exactly like mine, and so far i have had no probs :wassnnme:

what are you gonna put under it ?

nice work

take care

hemlok

And here's a pic of my wiring job on the ballast

If that's all ok, just two questions left:

I now need to put a bulb in. Now I'm aware I could blow it up by getting greece/ shite on the bulb so what's the best way to handle them?

AND

Can you use the light throught a contactor that's plugged into an extension cable? I can't see why not as the circuit works he same way as a mains.

Thanks

g23

:wassnnme:

post-17-1054577375_thumb.jpg

I've got an indoor mix bag from sensi seeds to put under them. I had a few seedlings on the go but most of them went yellow and died. Got a couple in my cupboard which I'm thinking of flowering as quickly as poss to make way for new ones I'm potting in the next day or so.

Thanks again you've sorted me out well :wassnnme:

g23

my pleasure, anything we can do to help just ask away :wassnnme:

handle your bulb with a good old duster, just give it a wipe and check there is nothing on the bulb before you fire her up.

do you mean, rather than connecting both contactor and timer plugs to the mains, connecting them to the mains through an extension ? if so yes you can :headpain: well i do. now personally just for that extra bit of safety i use THESE ext's, like i say it's a personal thing you dont have to go out and buy them :execute:

indoor mix, should give you a good range of budd, will you be posting pics of the babies ? always love to see pic's.

take care bud

hemlok