Growell lightwing

Disco Paul

Hello all,

I have bought one of the Growell lightwings, cool white flourescent tubes, 110 watts, for vegging my little ones.

Reading the instructions for this, available on their website here, it says that the lights must be kept at a fair distance from the plants, even 8-10 inches for mature plants, and a whopping 2-3 feet for cuttings in a propogator.

My c99 sprouts are just a few days old. Although there are no specific instructions for seedlings, I thought I had better leave 15 inches from the tubes to the plants.

The heat given off by the tubes is not that great. You could touch the tubes without burning yourself, and the back of my hand can barely feel the heat at a few inches.

But I am concerned that the new born c99 is exhibiting a bit of stretch. Here is a photo:-

baby1.jpg

What do you think?? Does this look normal or are they light seeking? I have a book on growing cannabis and it says that you should ignore general distance recommendations made for grow lights as cannabis required more light than most plants. But I am not sure if Growell's instructions applies to my little seedlings.

Incidentaly, how do I upload to uk420 webspace? I have checked the faqs and sticky and cant see how to do it. Do I need to upgrade my account? :mashed:

Hi cookaloid

Get 'em as close as you can without them getting too hot.

I've got seedling exactly the same size as that just now, and they are about 4cm away from 3x20W energy savers. They love it!

You'll be able to tell if it is too hot if the surface of the soil is drying quickly.

Wilbur

Edited by Wilbur Nutsack

The seedling looks fine cookaloid, totaly normal and healthy.

The distances given are for guidance and might be a bit conservative but are probably not far off. Follow the guidlines on temperature aswell and move it closer IF temps are ok.

As for uploading; you can post pictures and upload an avatar and thats your lot I think.

yea i got 11 seedlings and there under 5 20w fluros and there close as in nearly touching there doing great they love it keeps the stretch down

Be carefull cookaloid, your light uses psyicaly small 55w bulbs(good for light penetration). I use 23w comact fluros and have them very close like every else. But with 2x55w you have a bit more juice.

Alright Boys(+Girls)Don't know any lady growers :huh:

I'me using a 600w HPS at the moment. And have got 1 seedling under it, but on the very edge of

the garden. I was looking at those high out put lights, would one of them be beter than a 250w MH for seedlings?

Hydro :mashed:

Be carefull cookaloid, your light uses psyicaly small 55w bulbs(good for light penetration). I use 23w comact fluros and have them very close like every else. But with 2x55w you have a bit more juice.

Yeah I am kinda thinking I would have been better off with the standard flouros rather than shelling out £90 on this. :mashed:

I have read on here that the heat test is to use back of the hand at plant height to check for comfort. I assume that for lil seedlings I have to be more careful than this. I can just feel the heat on the back of my hand at about 4 inches. Would I be safe to use this distance do you think?

Move it a couple of inches at a time, no hurry. 4" might be a bit too close for the seedling in the picy, its still only a baby.

Compacts are ok for seedlings but they lack power for ideal veging, gets the job done though. I think when you get the hang of the light you got, you will find it is more versatile and usefull than CF's.

@Hydro, the 250mh would be better for veging but more than you need for seedlings, so it depends on your priorities.