Epsom Salts question

Gee.

Hi folks,

I'm growing totally organically in my soil garden, My question is....

Are/is(?) Epsom Salts considered organic as minerals?

I have a shit Hard Water thing here and I need Mg probs sorting out.

HELP!!

G. :)

I'm saying yes :)

I just has a Google and Epsom salts are included in some organic feeding recipes.

Wilbur

Cheers Wilbur, I appreciate the quick reply.

I think I need a few more opinions before I go and put it in there. I think I agree with you, as (and I work in an organic wholefood shop, so I have information! :) ) Table salt, sea salt etc is unable to be classified as organic, even though it's 'organic'.

I think it's OK to use, Anyone else care to chuck an oar in? ;)

Higha Gee

Are you growing outdoors then?

I ask, because technically {as I understand it, and I am no great brain} you cannot grow organically indoors {I think there's a post somewhere from OT1 about this, "soil association" and all that}; I suppose us indoor non-chemical weedies will just have to call our plants "Biological" or summat?

Anyhoo - Epsom Salts. I concur with the others M8, I think {?} they're OK. Hope so, 'cos I is using them!

:)

I ask, because technically {as I understand it, and I am no great brain} you cannot grow organically indoors {I think there's a post somewhere from OT1 about this, "soil association" and all that};

i didn't know that.......... :)

cheers

sr

SR - there's a post somewhere from OT1 that talks about this. I am citing from weed-soaked memory {nearly wrote "mamory" there, oooh-errrr}. Makes sense when you ponder it, an indoor grow is bound to be un-natural, even orgainc soil surely loses a ton of natural processes when it is in a bucket under a load of HPS?? :med:

Bloody 'ell! look at the time, goota go turn some lights off.........

:cat:

• 2 weeks later...
Higha Gee

I ask, because technically {as I understand it, and I am no great brain} you cannot grow organically indoors {I think there's a post somewhere from OT1 about this, "soil association" and all that}; I suppose us indoor non-chemical weedies will just have to call our plants "Biological" or summat?

Golly Gosh folks, who'da thought that Organics could be confusing, eh?!

OK here it comes...

You can grow indoors organically in the true sense of the word. The Soil Assoc. put their stamp on Land if it's farmed Chemical -Free for four years. If you're selling a product which claims to be Organic, you need to get checked out by them for a Stamp, or you can't call it Organic.

All the products I use on my plants, including the soil have a Soil Association Label, so.....doesn't that make it totally organic? Epsom salts, to my knowledge, are mineral which,like table salt or water Cannot be classified by the association.

Sorry folks I work in the Organic Food trade and I'm being petty!!

Nice to hear some more opinions, though

Gee. :ninja::unsure:

Gee the soil association is only one of several organic verification bodies in the uk.

In the USA sulphate of potash is allowed as as organic supplement, it is mined, in the uk the soil assoc and all other uk organic assoc’s classify it as a chemical fertiliser and its use in banned in organic horticulture.

As far as I know epsom salts are allowed by the soil assoc. They are certainly sold by chases in their organic gardening catalogue and recommended by the HDRA as an Mg fix where there is a deficiency.

Epsom salts are a thing I remember with dread :soap:, it was the dose you got, to give you a good turn out as a kid,:ninja: I don’t think it did me any harm and I don’t think it will harm your plants in any way either.

I still can’t forget the bitter taste or the amount of time it caused me with my shorts round my ankles. :)

:smoke: NIMHO Bish, mine never had to put up with sulphur in black strap molasses, caster oil or epsom salts.

It was supposed to be good for us, Personally I’m surprised that despite all that was done to us we survived.

:)

sulphur in black strap molasses, & caster oil

Sounds like something straight out of Madam Marina's dungeon!!! :smoke::geek:

Aaah, the good old days - NOT!

Jeesh, I still recall my prep school days: Spoonfuls of horrible malt extract every morning, a cold bath every morning save for the winter term, shorts all year round - they rubbed zinc in when the skin split! -, and the cane for just about everything......

Like OT1, I'm surprised we survived it........

• 3 weeks later...

In the USA sulphate of potash is allowed as as organic supplement, it is mined, in the uk the soil assoc and all other uk organic assoc’s classify it as a chemical fertiliser and its use in banned in organic horticulture.

I think the reason Sulphate of Potash is banned in the UK is because of its effects on topsoil. Im not sure why but I know that it drains the topsoil of nutrients, and this gets worse the more you use it. Like a junkie, the soil needs more and more for less and less :smoke: