Sick Growroom Syndrome

Fluxism

Hi all clever people,

Now, I've read on other threads that certain types of man made wood (MDF / PLY) Can lead to so called sick room syndrome, but is there anyway to avoid these problems? I would hate to build by 2 chamber growroom, only to find the plants were always ill.

For example, could I use MDF, and then seal the wood with a varnish? Might this lead to additional problems? What about paints, do they lead to SGS too (gloss / matt etc?). Silicone sealant, is this safe? Maybe it would be easier to ask which of the likely materials used would be safe for my plants?

:P

Flux.

you've probably already spotted this, but according to OT1 most of these fibreboards can vary from batch to batch, i.e. theres no way of telling without trying.

The main problem seems to be volatile compounds which are used in their manufacture, particularly some formaldehydes. I now know that it is possible to obtain formaldehyde-free MDF, but I have no idea how to do so in the UK. If you find out how to do so, let us know.

As regards varnish / paint seals, I'd reckon that it would help. Provided you use low volatile organic content seals. Don't know if there are any low VOC varnishes though, so I'm staying away from them. Silicone sealant is inert and should be safe.

Personally I'm hoping, really, really hoping that low VOC paints work.

Hi labrat,

I think the way forward is as you suggest, low odour 'as environmentaly safe as possible' varnishes and gloss paints... So long as the room is aired for a good week or two, should be ok (I HOPE!!!!).

Flux.

If you are using MDF, for gods sake remember to use a face mask when you cut it, because the dust is highly carcinogenic.

Infact, I believe that the stuff is banned in the US, so be careful

• 5 months later...
If you are using MDF, for gods sake remember to use a face mask when you cut it, because the dust is highly carcinogenic.

Infact, I believe that the stuff is banned in the US, so be careful

Have you got any references for these statements?

Here's one of many that says its all bowlarks mate?

http://www.safety.ed.ac.uk/resources/occ_h...ne_update5.html

Hope this helps to construct a balanced opinion on the stuff...

Cheers

kes

That report still states you should wear full on protective gear, and if those precautions are taken, then there are no problems.

Thing is, I for one am not going to take the chance based on something found on a website. Dust of anykind is bad when breathed, but if there is even a chance its carcinogenic, then taking precautions is only common sense.

As for the formaldahyde gasses that are given off - that report says they are at a level that does not cause concern, fair enough, but I would still rather not have them escaping into my growroom. What is ok ish for us could well do damage to out plants, and affect us when we smoke the buds that have had 2 or 3 months constant exposure to Formaldahyde gas.

Yeah, i accept that there is a lot of talk about MDF, but its always better to be safe than sorry. If only half of it is true, then its a good enough reason to treat the stuff with caution

HI I Read ith interest.

Is it you are woried about the cupboard material or the room or your plants ?

Maybe I go back to the start and read again all replies.

It is only the cupboard think outside the square your in.

I know I am not adddressing the issue but perhapst i should just offer some alternative as I don't think your infering that the room is Non- existant, or that you could pick up an old bit of furnishings of the street - youd be amazed.

goodluck and keep at it - a solution is only an idea away - wait a day or 2, think - think B) ;)

hars an idea of mine for a small cupboard and you can go from there

post-21-1063627893_thumb.jpg

Well I have re-read and come to the conclusion your problem is materials what type.

My only idea is a "fridge shell or large empty metal chest 4-6' stood on end, light proof, accessable, adaptable, even when you cosider venaltion issues they can all be fixed and you'll end up with a totally controled micto-environment in a shell - ideal.

It can be Lighted/light tight, exhausted/ventalated - thremostically controled (heated even for winter when you think about it). Winters not that far off in your hemisphere I take it.

If you have a room & if i have misread on my revisit , or totally off the track re you problem; or point point about materials bad toxic materials and your looking or somethin that is soilless I'd be happy to correspond re the advanages of PVC Pipes 2" & interchangeabe for flowering using seteup in 4" PVC. this soilless medium using 'hydrotron' working wonders and so stable and not costly - although the fridge design idea will need some $ input & an elecrition if your not one or possess the knoledge or ability which only comes down to confidence and caution,

I'll find my 211/2 x 5' space pic doe you 10 to 15 in it and required an enlarfged area following use of th 4" setup.

post-21-1063631165_thumb.jpg

As I said your space is probably your limitation and I have no poblem there (I had to infer this as anoher restricting factor)

Now I've made use of my space .

good luck with the soluttttttttttion - whit there is just around the next idea

post-21-1063632375_thumb.jpg

do you know if your wood is definatly MDF??? i ask this because i thought my wardrobe was made out of MDF and i nearly got rid of it, but i then found out it was accually hardboard and its ok with plants [thank god]

[b-Dr]

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all! :stoned:

Just thought I'd add my personal experience to this topic.

Using MDF as growroom material is hardly uncommon since it is the most freely available 'cut to size' wood you can easily lay your hands on.

However reading the last few posts about feeling sick from formaldehyde gasses escaping from the wood adhesives- I can definetely confirm that this happened to me.

This summer has been quite hot and I installed a 250w lamp in my cuboard initially without ventilation- :bangin: stupid newbies eh..

The wood gave off a glue smell after a few hours of being near the lamp.

After a few weeks though the smell seemed to decrease.

But during those first few weeks I felt quite light headed and 'down' I put this down to the gasses escaping from the wood.

So just to clear this up yes using MDF is bad for you but over time and applied heat this seems to decrease.

The dust subject I never had to deal with cos the place where I bought it from cut the wood to my growroom specs- handy! :magic:

But coming from experience I wouldn't inhale any dust man its just got to be bad...

Peace :yinyang:

• 2 weeks later...
apart from MDF, does anyone know of any other matierials that shouldnt be used??????

Chocolate, Napalm, Plutonium.........

Sorry, I couldn't resist it :)

npk

• 2 weeks later...