too many plants for my system?

vinyljunkie

well as most of you already know from my constant questions ive got an NFT setup from growell (205 gro-tank) with a 250w light.

so at the moment ive got 6 plants in the hydro, reasoning for this was i knew id have to pull the males, so im hoping for 4 ideally. they've been in the actual NFT for nearly a week and my biggest plant is about 8", germinated about 20 days ago.

thing is now the foliage of the plants is getting bigger they're overlapping leaves etc.. what is the best option for me now? would it be ok to keep 6 in there until i start 12/12 and can determine sex? should i alternatively force early flowering, find out sex, take out the necessary plants and revert back to Veg growth until they are a bit bigger? or, something else?

thanks one again :)

ps - everyones invited round mine after ive harvested  :rock:   ;)

Guest THE PUFFER

My preferred method is to take a cutting from every plant, label them up, that way you will have an exact replica of each one. Obviously wait until they are a bit bigger before taking cuttings though. Then put the plants into flower.

taking individual plants out of a gro-tank is a pain in the  :moonie:

since the roots intermingle in the tray ,some dead roots might decay and cause bacteria

also

if you dont have a seperate cloning area and are working on one light (250w) you will not be able to clone them on a flowering light schedule

you will need a seperate area with lights on 18 to 24 hours a day (preferably flouro's as clone root better under less intense light)

i think you might have overdone it witt the six plants on the wee system

four would have been an alternative (and feminised for quickness) :thumbs:

ok, cheers guys....so, what to do? i could probably take out 2 plants easily enuff cos looking at the roots they dont seemed to have inter-twined yet....suggestions?

doc....seperate cloning area isnt really viable at the moment.....as im in halls at uni i'll be moving out in june so i figure it isnt really worth it at the minute....and as im growing in my wardrobe i dont really have anywhere else for the cloning area to go. next year tho.... :sarcasm:

haha you  :mad:  nutter

six plants in the halls of residence hahahaha

you will smell that all the way down the hall :rock:

right it sounds like your only option id to flower them all and as soon as signs of sex show (should be males first) get them out

if you want to take cuttings then i think you are gonna have problems

you will need to 18-24 hour light schedule them

you might want to leave the cuttings for now and just see what girlies you have and smoke them ,and try for the perpetual harvest next time

or you could buy an ottoman (chest) for the foot of your bed (preferably longer than two feet and higher than 18 inches) and paint it white

and whack in 2 two foot double flouro's

this is an ideal cloning/rooting chamber  ;)

:) its all good - had police and uni security walk past my room when ive had the door open smoking before.....only one who said anything was security 'hmmm, nice smell coming from there'. haha...my room is next to senior residents you see so they have to come right past to get to his :) he a good lad tho and has a smoke with me now and again.

i wasnt gonna bother with cuttings anyway cos i have to leave the halls......so i dont think my parents would be too happy with cannabis cultivation at my house! next year when we go into rented houses then yeah ;) we could quite easily set up a cloning room in my mates room cos he got an idea cupboard, but as i said not much really as gonna got enuff time for one crop this year.

will do as u said...onto 12/12 to find out sex, then revert back to 24/7 to Veg until they are a bit bigger yeah? right gotta go out and get me a timer now  ???  maybe shoulda done it earlier! :)

since the roots intermingle in the tray ,some dead roots might decay and cause bacteria

Try Cannazym, Growell do it, it breaks down dead roots as well as adding vitamins etc.

You can generally get away with taking the piss a bit in Uni halls. The cops need to get permission from the Uni to search and they're not gonna go thro' the hassle without very good reason. Think how many students they'd have to nick. All the same VJ it's best to keep your grow as close to your chest as possible if y know what I mean. The senior resident may have a puff now and then but how does he feel about growing on Uni property - could be his ass on the line too.

exactly MrBenn, which is why i havent told him  ;)  am planning on giving him a view just before harvest, hahaha!! should be a nice suprise  :)

Hi bud,I had just enuff room for 3 plants, 4 at a push when i used the same system as you .When i spotted the male i removed  it by lopping it of close too the base,i left the rock wool and roots in and they remained healthy. Hope this helps im no expert but it worked for me. Happy  harvest dude!

Hi bud,I had just enuff room for 3 plants, 4 at a push when i used the same system as you .When i spotted the male i removed  it by lopping it of close too the base,i left the rock wool and roots in and they remained healthy. Hope this helps im no expert but it worked for me. Happy  harvest dude!

just a bit of advice

i only have two plants on the go just now WITH VENTILATION in flowering and you can still smell them quite pungently :D

thankfully i dont get many visitors so its not a problem for me

but it will smell more than you think

in the morning after a good nights sleep my whole house smells of fresh bud :P

(imagine you are having a smoking session 24-7 and it will smell like that , only fresher cause its not burned) ;)

I use a 250w and I think 4 plants is about right.  A lot of varieties show preflowers before you put them onto 12/12. They usually do this after a few weeks of veg. growth. Keep an eye out for single flowers, or "balls" if its male, at the leaf nodes.

Oh and you might have smell probs. in the last couple of weeks, hopefuly by then it'll be warm and you can just keep your window open.

They really can stink!