William S. Burroughs: 10 Years After

big ghost

"You reckon ill who leave me out -- when me you fly I am the wings."

post-4514-1186045226_thumb.jpg

August 2nd 2007 marks the 10th anniversary of the death of William S. Burroughs. In honor of the occasion, Lawrence.com offers an excellent commemorative edition of interviews, memoirs, and articles commemorating Lawrences most famous man of letters

http://www.lawrence.com/news/burroughs/10yearsafter/

Salutations Bill.

(Even the Ivans . . . : http://www.russia-ic.com/news/show/4433/ )

(Ta : http://realitystudio.org/ )

Edited by big ghost

Guest Dr Benways Assistant

I'm sure I've heard of this guy, some kind of writer. :applause:

Edited by Dr Benways Assistant

All praise to Uncle Bill,

Purveyor and conveyer

Of cosmic truth and thrill.

Pale gaunt exterminator

Of The Man and His Plan.

Namer of Steely Dan.

He isn't gone,just altered, dream on Bill.

I'm sure I've heard of this guy, some kind of writer. :yinyang:
Alright, clever clogs, put your clothes on and eat your dinner. :yinyang:

Just had me dinner.

Loads of good reading in that link, annoying that you have to download the story about him shooting his wife though.

Recommended it somewhere else but if you can find it read The Adding Machine by Bill a collection of essays, I reckon it's one of his best books. Especially if his normal writing style is a bit off putting for you. I'd also recommend El Hombre Invisible an autobiography.

Guest Gert Lush

I know that he has acquired some supposed cult and "beat" status, but I always found him singularly unappealing.

For one he was a poser, living on his rich family's money (Burroughs adding machines, later computers), while "slumming it" for max effect.

Can't really see why anyone would want to glamorise anything of this guy. He seems like a total creep to me.

Gratuitous gross out for its own sake...

Have a look at a brief bio and see what you think

http://www.litkicks.com/BeatPages/page.jsp...lliamSBurroughs

Guest Gert Lush
Yeah, wouldn't exactly say he as a nice guy or anything.

Not exactly, no. :)

Bearing in mind the recent brouhaha on this site, concerning the redneck kiddie that shot a pig, Burroughs shooting of his wife to impress his friends is particularly illuminating. Also, as the bio said, it's interesting that he outlived Kurt Cobain...

A merchant of ugliness, in my view, the fact that he sold it "intelligently" counts for shit.

Used car salesmen sell dud cars intelligently, too - does that make them folk heroes?

I liked all his books that I've read, even the cut-up bits make sense once you kno what they are. He were a genius for me. Gert is perfectly entitled to his opinion and much of it is valid, he was a merchant of ugliness in a way, not necessarily in a bad way though. .

Guest Gert Lush
Burroughs? Read his books.Preferred his drugs. :yinyang:

;) You're the expert, doc!

I'm not saying he's not amusing or observant. But then there's blokes from the Aryan Brotherhood that are amusing and observant.

All I'm saying is that I don't have to buy their shit, just cause they're amusing and observant. It's not the primary consideration.

A modest proposal:

I am quite shocked at your ignorance Gert, but not really surprised. You really are very arrogant, and what does that prove ? Funny how it's the subject matter you find offensive, very Christian of you, ta.

Bill brought an enormous richness to my life through his writing, what you say merely shines an interesting light upon you. Most people I meet would most probably think like you, dull conformists.

In my eyes the only 20th century novelists who measure up to Burroughs are Kafka and Ballard.

And we are pretty ugly ourselves Gert, or have you found reason not to look lately?