Professional opinion

reefman

Allright chaps i need a bit of help please.

I have been looking to start growing my own as im fed up lining the pockets of dealers. I saw a complete setup on an american website www.discount-hydro.com

The set comprises of 2 10" pots, a smart valve and lid (whatever that is), grow mediums and nutriants, a 400 watt sun-system econogrow m.h or H.P.S (whats the difference and which one is better)? with remote ballast and heavy duty light timer. This for about £200.

Does this sound like a good deal? all i want is couple of plants for personal use.

Cheers.

reefman,

you may have a few probs buying american systems

for two reasons,1) there is a high proberbility the customs and excise will be wanting some form of taxation/duty,2) the difrence in electric currencies..i would recommend you check out...

www.growell.co.uk.they have a free catalogue and an 0800 telephone order line.i am no way connected with this company,only a satisfied customer.hope that helps.

spliffdaddy :mad:

dont forget you may end up being crippled by thr price of shipping

i asked about a gro system from america but the shipping was 160 dollars more than a 150 dollar system

more than twice the price ???

Keep it UK I say,

the other thing is that The Man in the States tends to keep a closer eye on grow equipment suppliers than in Europe. You never know what info. may get passed to your local law enforcement dudes.

I'm not paranoid honest (twitch! twitch!)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Reefman.You can get the following from www.highlight.to.They are E.midlands based but you can get them to deliver your gear for a postal charge depending what u buy and weight of parcel.

400w switchable hps(for flowering)metal halide(for veg) £150.0

1 bag canna coco £15

1 A+B canna coco nutes  £10

I suggest using coco because you dont have to worry about the p.h so much because the canna nutes are quite good and stabilise on most water types ive found and the coco itself is quite stable.

For the rest of your room you can buy 2 10Litre pots for about £7-8 ,an oscillating fan from argos for £10 and you'll want an extractor fan if you want good results but these are quite pricey at about £40 up to £80.Also a good idea is a temperature and humidity meter, you can get normal thermometers and hygrometers quite cheap from diy/garden centres but highlight do an electronic one which measures both for £20 which is ace.You can also try www.agthydroponics.co.uk which is also E.Mids and does online ordering.Hope this helps.............Orinoco :oldtoker:

Oooh forgot to add you can get an electronic timer to run your 400w from argos for £8.99.They are 3000w rated and am running one on each of my 400w hps.

Erm.just read my reply to reefman.I also do not work for any of the companys i,ve suggested but am only a satisfied customer like spliffdaddy...................Orinoco :oldtoker:

i thought i would point out womble that a 400watt hps (your light) has an inductive load of about 3-3.5 amps at startup

the timer you are using is rated for 2 amps

it might last a wee whilst but eventually your contacts on your timer will fuse and your timer will fail

i would suggest either building or buying a contactor/relay ,this will protect your plants as they are an investment

check out this link for info

make a contactor ,protect your plants from light failure! :thumbs:  :oldtoker:

I think he's got the one for 3000w which does work with heavy duty loads - it's the segment timers which fold when you go over 2 amps - they're 3 for £8.

Thanks for the URL D.O.C :stoned: My timers have been working fine but i have been meaning to get a safe electrical system for some time but hav'nt had the money to spend on growshop readybuilt ones because as you say they are expensive for the sum of their parts.I,m install two more double sockets and build a couple of them relays.cheers bud..............Orinoco :oldtoker: