Advice on organics please

ICaneBud

Hi there folks,

Just about to start my first proper grow.  I'm using a 600W HPS (Osram Planta-T) and have 6 "Haze 36" (presumably Haze#1 bred with itself 36 times?) clones ready to start vegging.  

Can anyone advise good rich organic compost to use that is widely available from garden centres/DIY stores?  I want to minimise messing about with perlite etc. if possible.

Also, what organic ferts are available for vegging and flowering, what do you get good results with?

Finally, do you get much better crytallization with lower temperature and drier air during the last 2 weeks + 48 hrs dark?

Thanks and good growing.  :oldtoker:

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Arnold Layne

• Artificial Emotion

• TrichomeUK

• ICaneBud

Hi Icanebud (:oldtoker: @ the name!!),

Welcome to the site.

I get reasonable results (see my posts in Grower's Pics) with the following soil and nutes..

BioBizz ProMix soil, Canna Terra Vega + Flores, Earth Juice Catalyst.....

This shit is all expensive ,specially if you buy in one go, and many growers tell me they get great results with Tesco compost and a bit of Miracle Grow....I got confidence and peace of mind so I use the above.

Sounds like you've got great lamp ,and cuttings too, you'll get posh results whatever you do, and you'll never have to go back to paying for rubbish again.....( judging by your name though you obviously don't use Trankbar anyway)

Good Luck with it, you'll get loads of help here if you have any problems...

Mono...x

The story behind the name's a long and boring one :oldtoker:

You're too modest Mono, your Blueberry looks amazing :D

Thanks a lot for the tips, sounds (and looks) like very good stuff.

I won't touch MG or any non-organics (I eat organic food whenever possible too).

I've been smoking pretty much every day for about 14 years and I hate shite gear of any type, sticking with pollen and sativas when I get the choice.

I can also taste hydro non-organic stuff really badly hence my choice of method.

Well chuffed I found this forum, it was really hard to find UK advice on overgrow, thanks for the friendly welcome.

Sorry mate I misled you aa bit.....

The Canna feed I use is not organic, it's used for soil growing but it's not organic....

For organic feed I used to use BioBizz Grow and Bloom......it's messy smelly shit but I was pleased with the results...and happy in the knowledge I was growing organic pot...

Having seen the results from the Canna feeds I see more crystals, more solid buds, not MASSIVELY, but it's better....BioBizz nutes are a fair bit cheaper than Canna though as ewll....Depends how committed you are to your organic principles, I must admit I'd feel happier if I had Canna's results from an Organic feed.....

Mono....x

Guest The GreenFinger

Hi Guys,

Bio Bizz is the busines indeed. Do you use All Mix or any of the other soil mediums as well?

B`cuzz I`ve not considered because they are way expensive, but I hear good results.

What about Bio Nova, they are 100% organic. Never used them but was talking to the uk distributer recently and he told me it has got cow pee in it somewhere which sounded interesting. Maybe it`s used in the composting and liquifing of the raw materials?

Mooo  :mad:

Tgf

Hi greenfinger,

Yeah, I use the AllMix,If I said Promix before it's a mistake( I baan saying ProMix for months but I just checked the bag!).I do add some vermiculite, and I top off my pots with a couple of inches depth of vermiculite too.

I also use their Alg-A-Mic(Organic micronutrient supplement) occasionally....because I'm now growing SOG style the roots don't have so much space so my fuzzy logic tells me to give a micronutrient boost now and then.....I probably go overkill on the goodies but the plants seem to love it, make sure if you're trying to use nutes AND growth enhancers AND supplements you don't OVERfeed.....keep a ver yclose eye on your girls as it's easy to give them too much.........

Mono....x

Guest THE PUFFER

Indeed mono, in fact Im tepmted to say don't use any ferts if you want real organic...try Jonny Innes no.3 for richness and of course throw a mix or perlite in if thats your tipple.

Thats what its all about...experimenting.

You don't get to become a guru until you've made enough mistakes :oldtoker:

i use hydrotops one part organic ferts,it's easy to use.the only distributor i know is www.growzone.org.uk.though i dare say there are many others.good luck with ya grow.

spliffdaddy :mad:  :oldtoker:

Guest The GreenFinger

All mix rocks Mono. Do you mean Premix? that is an exclusive fertilizer made of all sorts of weird and wonderfull goodies and is also sold by bio bizz, its not a soil though but a nutriant in soil form, if you plant directly into that your plants will become a part of it in no time :P

When the plants are in all mix they require little feed as the mix contains all they will need.

Tgf

growth technology's IONIC range is organic and suitable for both hydro and soil growing ,good results so far :thumbs:

:P

Just my two pennyworth - I stick with John Innes No.3, and Alan Titchmarsh's Organic Flower food. It's cheap and works as well as any other. To be quite honest, I tend to steer clear of the expensive "specially for cannabis" concoctions. The weed is a plant like any other and needs no special treatment [its a landracer for chrissake] so I give it the same as the other houseplants.

Too many businesses jockeying for Growers' cash means loads of false hype and inflated prices.

Just my H O

:mad:

Thanks for all the advice guys - I've not decided on the ferts yet figuring I've got 4 weeks so it can come out of next months pay :oldtoker:

the mix I'm using is:  4 parts Innes no.3, 2 parts multipurpose (dark, coconut based) 1 part perlite

I'm gonna start a new thread on this forum that will be a running report on my grow.  No pics yet cos no digi cam and I'm slightly para but we'll see how it goes. :P

:oldtoker:

I look forward to hearing your progress M8, as I'm sure do others. We are all learning.

May He who said of creation "it is Good!" radiate your grow with His goodness! [well, it is Sunday!]

:mad:

Hi folks

Light's up and running at last ;)

Thanks for all the replies

Anyone got experience with seaweed (norwegian kelp/"maxicrop")?  I've read a fair bit about it being great for cuttings and general growth promotion due to various hormones.  In fact I'll dig out the links...

<rummages about a bit>

There's a good general thread on organic ferts and seaweed  here but its a bit US biased.

Kelp info

here

• 3 weeks later...

Congratulations on your light running, 'sgood to go through others dramas.  My tuppence worth on your soil amendment options, much as I love Arnold's KISS soil approach, I like trying to get the process as dialled in as possible.

I have used a jargon full of products claiming to do this or that, and have abandoned most.  I still use two amendments, seaweed growth booster (esp in vegg) and two forms of bat guana (fresh dried, high N, fossilised, high P) and that is it, oh, in a version of supersoil (heavily amended organic, growing mixture whcih plants love).  It works, I have a bottle of superthrive looking a home though. :oldtoker: