80cm Parabolic reflector

Guest budzilla2010

Guest budzilla2010

Hey Guys,

The new Para's just arrived. one problem, seems to be no instructions with it. :spliff:

Can anyone give me a hand??

I assume the triangle shaped plated need to be layered like a fan but do i bolt them in so they are underneath the top octagon or do i bolt them to the top of the octagon??

Also i assumed screw head to be on the reflective side and nut to be on the outer (non reflective side)??

any help would be awesome, asap please!!! i really wannna get it in now!!!

Cheers

...BudZ...

Guest budzilla2010

Also, this octagon thing at the top with teh vents in, should the vents be pointed up and out of teh hood, so its flat on teh reflective side?

The louvres on the top of the octagon, the plates overlapping and bolted on top of the octagon, with the nuts to the top.

Hope that helps.

Bloke

Guest budzilla2010

Louvres on the top so the bottom is flat and the top is raised yeah??

Did you have to bend your wings where it meets at the top to get it to fit?

Cheers,

...BudZ...

Yes the bottom is flat.

The easiest way to fit the wings IMO is to connect the two fixings at the top on all of the wings to the octoagon first, then connect the next row down of fixings and so on. It can be a bit tricky and you have to flex the wings to connect the fixings on the bottom row.

Hope that helps

Bloke

Edited by Owderb

Guest budzilla2010

Yes cool, thats been much help thanks.

One last point. so did you tighten up the top screws that bolt onto teh octagon thingy fully tight, then work your way down bending as necesary or did you have it loose to start with and tighten up after all teh bolts are on??

I was thinking tighten up fully then work my way down, just wanted to clarify that before i proceed?

cheers

Pm me your address and I will come round and build it for you....just give us a fiver plus travel expenses :soap:

Only kidding, just tighten the nuts up finger tight as you go, then if required you can "nip" them up tight when it's built.

Good choice of reflector too I reckon.

Bloke

Yes cool, thats been much help thanks.

One last point. so did you tighten up the top screws that bolt onto teh octagon thingy fully tight, then work your way down bending as necesary or did you have it loose to start with and tighten up after all teh bolts are on??

I was thinking tighten up fully then work my way down, just wanted to clarify that before i proceed?

cheers

I had to do this a couple weeks back - see my grow diary for a photo of it complete.

I tightened them up fully before proceeding to the next screw. Also, I fastened the 'fan' pieces to the octagon place first, then I did the outer ring before moving to the middle ring.

And don't be shy - you need to bend those fan pieces like a mo'fo :soap:

PE

Guest budzilla2010

Done it!! 1hr 30 mins!! is that a world record??

Thanks very much for teh help guys. my hands are hurting now.

just incase anyone else is doing the same and reading this. I found starting at the top and getting all the bolts into teh octagon fully tight them moving to teh middle ones was fine. quite easy to allign the holes if you have teh whole thing resting in your lap so you can curve it.

I also noticed that a lot of the bolts wont quite match up to the holes. If you get it so its resting in the hole but wont go through turn the screw with the screwdriver and it will make its way through to teh other side, pop the nut on and tighten fully.

i tightened every nut fully before moving onto the next. top, then middle, then finaly the bottom.

its a peice of piss when you know where to start, is a bit fiddly but if your any good with Mechano then this should be a doddle!! You just need to knwo where to start off.

Cheers for all teh help dudes,

...BudZ...

start with the top bolt, leaving them loose, then loosely bolt the bottom bit then the middle, once they're all in, tighten them up.

i found it easier doing it this way after putting 3 together for other folk, luckily i was meccano mad when i was younger :naughty:

• Like 1

Guest budzilla2010

Cheers dude! :naughty: i finished building it 4 hours ago though!! Your way probably stops bits from bending, I'm getting some more for the 600's. So will try your way then

cheers anyway Chop Chop (''bit early in the morning for Kung-foo init Jim?'')

:wink:

...BudZ...

omg that would proper stress me out that. haha let me know how it is,

am thinkin of getting one for the summer , because i dont think my room will able to cope with the 2 6's

whats the smallest size they do these in ?

omg that would proper stress me out that. haha let me know how it is,

am thinkin of getting one for the summer , because i dont think my room will able to cope with the 2 6's

whats the smallest size they do these in ?

80cm is the smallest mate.

PE