Organic Soil Mix

minisog

Hi. I currently have an afghani #1 mother in a 3/4 gallon pot contaning the following organic soil mix:

50/50 perlite/soil mix

1 tbsp. blood meal (13-0-0)

1 tbsp. high nitrogen bat guano (10-3-1)

1 tbsp. kelp meal (1-0.1-2)

I am ready to start taking clones and flowering (sog style) in 1/2 gallon 5.5" x 5.5" x 6" square pots, and planned on using the following organic soil mix:

50/50 perlite/soil mix

1 tbsp. bone meal (3-15-0)

1 tbsp. high phosphorous bat guano (0-13-0)

1 tbsp. kelp meal (1-0.1-2)

My question is, will the flowering mix I am planning on using contain enough nitrogen, or would it be advisable to add some blood meal to this mix as well?

Thanks for your help...

Hi to come up with mixes like that you have to be from across the pond, we don’t have those things here.. Why try and reinvent the wheel have a look at some mixes that have been used and tested sucessfully by thousands of growers.

Take a look here:- compost mixes!

I hope this helps in your quest.

• Like 2

Yes, I am.

Really? What dont you have there?

These things are VERY common in soil recipes here for growing marijuana. And the recipe here is also a very common one. But a lot of people put both bone and blood meal in their flowering mix, and was curious if the flowering mix would not contain enough N without the addition of some blood meal.

But anyways, I guess I posted this on the wrong board if you guys dont use this stuff over there. Why would you not have these things where you are?

Edited by minisog

Bonemeal, bone flower and dried blood are not used anymore because of BSE. In fact its banned for all types of commercial growing and by all organic organisations. Even when bone meal and dried blood were allowed for organic growing they had to come from animals raised organically otherwise they could be full of residual chemicals, hormones, pesticides and growth promoters. The use of things like bat manure and sea bird guano are not allowed because its collection is driving the bats to the point of extinction and has eradicated them in some areas.

The standard practice here and in Europe is to root out plants in their final pots before flowering. We never make a flowering mix as such just a balanced mix, ideally it should have sufficient nitrogen in it to maintain plant health to the end of flowering, nitrogen is a key element in profuse flowering. Not in excess mind you but it is needed for the plant to fully metabolise the other key elements.

• Like 2

hey oldtimer ive just changed to jhon innes #3 when repotted before flowering is this an ok medium to use ?? not had any problems so far apart from the xtreme bushiness starting to happen

paradox_devil666 Take a look at this thread!

The John Innes composts are not organic, but can produce some very good weed non the less. As I said read the thread if you have any Q's after I'll do my best to answer them for you.

• 1 year later...

Has and is anyone using COMFREY in their compost mixes and as a liquid feed - very balanced - free - and if so what sort of results ? :D

• 3 months later...
Hi to come up with mixes like that you have to be from across the pond, we don’t have those things here.. Why try and reinvent the wheel have a look at some mixes that have been used and tested sucessfully by thousands of growers.

Take a look here:- compost mixes!

I hope this helps in your quest.

89553[/snapback]

couldnt get that link to work ot1 any chance of putting up 1 that works,if not possible could you tell me if a 70 per cent mix of b&q organic peat free compost,15 per cent of vermiculate,15 per cent of perlite is a good mix for cannabis and is it proper organic :ouch:

Link corrected to my archive of bcga's site. Ot1.

Edited by oldtimer1

couldnt get that link to work ot1 any chance of putting up 1 that works,if not possible could you tell me if a 70 per cent mix of b&q organic peat free compost,15 per cent of vermiculate,15 per cent of perlite is a good mix for cannabis and is it proper organic :ouch:

345197[/snapback]

That'd be fine i guess, i been starting seeds in New Horizion Organic peat free MP compost with about 10% perlite and 10% vermiculite, then into straight compost for the next repot. That said, with my latest batch of seedlings a couple have show a little burn going into the straight mix (but only one variety so i guess it's down to strain,) with these next time i'll throw a handfull of perlite in too. :soap:

And as far as i'm aware perlite and vermiculite can be considered organic.....

<waits to be pounced upon by the hard core tree hugers....>

lol

MP

:blub:

MP yes both vermiculite and perlite can be used in organic mixes.

Not sure how I missed the link not working post, I archived the entire bcga site when it went out of bizz you can find the us/canuk compost/soil mixes here!

Both products are made by heating crushed rock to very high temperature. Vermiculite is made from laminar silicate rock/ore. It can be a little alkaline, otherwise mostly inert.

Perlite is made from a glass type of silicate rock, the process is like making puffed corn. basically its inert puffed glass.

• 4 months later...

wow, i don't have anything ending in 'ite' in my compost - just lawn clippings and worms an veggie scraps etc - i think im out of touch

• 11 months later...

Has and is anyone using COMFREY in their compost mixes and as a liquid feed - very balanced - free - and if so what sort of results ? :guitar:

thats twice i've heard about comfrey what a remarkable plant thanks man!

google comfrey dudes.UK.S

• 1 year later...

Yup comfrey is the best fertiliser there is (well almost) - loads of potash, a good amount of nitrogen and breaks down really well too, boosting the micro-organisms in the soil. If you get a big heavyweight sack and add a 10cm layer of coco peat or regular peat, a 10cm layer or chopped fresh comfrey then sprinkle 2 cups of dolomite lime and 2 cups of rock phosophate or bone meal over it and repeat this until the bag is full then leave it to rot down (make sure there are some holes in the bottom) you will be left with some very good flowering mix, heaving with funghi and bacteria.

You will need to dilute it with perlite and perhaps some more peat or coir as it will be rich stuff, but it is so very good.