Windows Media Player 9

Labrat

The final version has been released on Windows Update, but I'm none too sure about it. :(

Looking around it appears to include a unique player ID, specific to your machine. The only purpose I can think of for that is copyright protection - i.e. it reports back what you've played, and whether or not you have the appropriate licence. Not good if you're into DL'ing MP3s etc..

Also, the software is reportedly un-uninstallable, on XP and 2000 OS's anyway. (Reverting the system to a point prior to installation would do the trick, but it'd also wipe out all other changes - documents and such - made after the original installation). So if you discover you don't like it, you're stuck with it.

Anyone any thoughts?

I am still using 6.4 ( I run XP) and I honestly dont see any reason to upgrade. Version 7 has a horrific interface and is slower to launch, I don't know if its got better but unless it can offer me something fantastic I am sticking with 6.4 :zorro:

• 3 weeks later...

yea i ive read a few bits and pieces about it and its not good! aparently they r tryin 2 bring out a new media type its gonna b on home dvd players and everything its suposed 2 stop ya being able 2 play any music that u havnt payed for. what a bumma man! also theres a new site for dl music legaly but u have 2 pay a tenna a month to join but all the the music can only be played on the pc u dl it on<if u stop payind the subscription all the music youve payed for will stop workin? ferkin aholes i know i definately aint gonna b joining

Hi,

Ive got version 8 on my comp simply because it installs with XP, this version also likes to report back to microsoft quite regularly, but if youve got a firewall on your comp such as zone alarm, you can either totally block media players access to the internet or have it ask for authorisation before allowing it to connect.

peace

Chilli