Externall Hard Drives

THE FORMULEX KID

i fancy 1 of them external hard drives for my xp2, as i do alot of tunes and films "utorrent" aldi was doing 1 last week 500gb £90.00, poped down there on the thursday when they was deliverd, all gone by 12.30 fek ;) so i dont fancy waiting another 3 months, thats when the women said they might be inn, i thought they sounded abit allright 500 gb for £90.00, so if any one can recomend a ext/hard drive for about the same dosh it would be appreciated, and i dont do e-bay, stay safe t.f.k

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• THE FORMULEX KID

• Scribb|e

• Squaggles

• KayToo

think miller bros shops do a western digital external 500 gig model fer around 108 quid its a USB 2 model so should be fine for transfering large files quickly

its called the mybook or something

here ya go same thing fer 94 quid dunno if thats inc delivery though http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?quicklinx=41XG

Edited by dr_green_thumb1974

Freecom do a 500Gb. I know that Novatech do it and I've used them before without any problems. Sent you a link via PM.

A :yinyang:

think miller bros shops do a western digital external 500 gig model fer around 108 quid its a USB 2 model so should be fine for transfering large files quickly

its called the mybook or something

here ya go same thing fer 94 quid dunno if thats inc delivery though http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?quicklinx=41XG

nice 1 man :yinyang: thank's for the link got loads of good report's, look's like the visa card comes out after dinner, and a fat 1, cheers dr_green_thumb

Freecom do a 500Gb. I know that Novatech do it and I've used them before without any problems. Sent you a link via PM.

A :yinyang:

yep cheer's abraxas got your pm, and thanks for the quick reply, even cheaper this 1, as i said i dont mind spending about £100 quid or less. and to be honest i'me not the best on setting up things on pc's, are they basiclley plug and play, and easey to sort things out like your films and music not that worried about photo's as i do that on pixella, cheers any way t.f.k :starwars:

build your own m8, a caddy is about 10/15 quid then the choice of hard drive is up to you.

caddy _https://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/126168

HD (westerd digital 500gig) _http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HD-135-WD&groupid=701&catid=14&subcat=767

Seconding the Freecom one. I got one of those and have no problems with it whatsoever.

And yep, they should be pretty much plug and play.

Does it have to be an external hard drive?

I'm using a laptop hard drive, running at 4200rpm, in an external case, while my internal drives are running at 5400rpm and 7200rpm, so, my external drive is running slower. And thats without comparing usb and ide/sata interface speeds.

Also internal drive is cheaper. I noticed an internal 500mb ide drive for £76.90 and a sata drive for £68.14 from my local PC parts dealer. Probably cheaper if I could be bothered looking around.

As has already been mentioned by KayToo, a better option altogether is to buy a hard-drive enclosure and a drive separately - you get to choose the drive then, and it works out cheaper. You can also go for an option like e-SATA then, which is a better interface standard for hard drives than USB or Firewire.

A slower drive, like a 4200rpm is not necessarily a bad thing to have in an external drive, as they tend to be more robust and run cooler than drives that run at faster spindle speeds.

lol

I've just got myself a 500gb Freecom Storage Gateway. A bit like an external USB drive but connects to my router instead of my PC.

Mp_wlan2.jpg

As well as being an external 500gb hard drive, it also does these functions....

Samba Fileserver supports Win/Mac/Linux etc

Web server with PHP4 & MySQL4 support, run up to 16 websites from your adsl connection.

FTP Server

DHCP Server

Dynamic DNS Client

Wireless Access Point

SSH Server

Mail Server

SQL Server

MEDIA Server (Twonky)

VPN

Does torrent, edonkey client stuff too

Print server. Plug in up to 4 printers via usb.

More capacity, Add additional HDD storage space via 4xUSB and 1xeSATA, up to 6.5TBytes...

Worth the extra £50? lol

Worth the extra £50?

If you're actually gonna use all those extra functions, then - possibly. I must say that's quite an impressively specced external hard-drive, there FF.

Anyone who really wants to do all that stuff, though, will probably just dig an old PII-III out of the closet, whack Linux/BSD on it, and use it headless just to provide whichever routing/network/storage function is required.

lol

build your own m8, a caddy is about 10/15 quid then the choice of hard drive is up to you.
cheers katoo for the info, and to be honest when i 1st read what you said about building you own, i thought hees's aving a feking laugh lol but when i looked at the caddy and read the review's and how easy it was to stick in your own h/d, i thought that you might have come up with something i could even sort out myself, and that caddy did look the dog's doo -dars. adding up the dosh there dont seem to be that much in bying 1 as recomended by dr-green-thumb, the western digital 500mg jobby, or is it the case where if you build your own 1, you end up with a much better product, taking into account the cooling fans ect ;) but im'e deffo gonna give it some thought, mmmmmm build your own, yea i reckon i could even do that :wink: thanks for your wisdom chaps and other readers, :P t.f.k

edit to add, this all started when when i was reading scribble's post about Aldi's dvd player with usb port so you can watch films downloaded onto ext h/drive, then stick it straight into your usp port on the dvd player, saves downloading to disc, luv it coz its only for my own viewing, and as for the dvd player from aldi's nice 1 scribble, everything ive stuck into this machiene its played, all for about £30.ishpost-7218-1179230421_thumb.jpg

Anyone who really wants to do all that stuff, though, will probably just dig an old PII-III out of the closet, whack Linux/BSD on it, and use it headless just to provide whichever routing/network/storage function is required.

I've got two of these currently, gonna get shot of them now (well one at least)

ok that's it i'm commited now :) just orderd some stuff, 1 western digital caviar re2 500gb 5000ys sata-11 16mb cache-oem malarkey??

and a enermax external enclosure ide/sata usb2 fingermy jib.

all being well it should turn up in a day or 2, and all i can do is let you no how i get on ??

will i need any special tool's ie: tin foil hat, asbestos gum shield, thick rubber mat ect , cheers for your help chaps, t.f.k :)

ok well it arrived to day, put it all together pluged it in got a blue light up and its spinning :) what happens now do i have to formatt it or does xp2 do it for ya ?? post-7218-1179513894_thumb.jpg i dont no if ya can se that am i right in thinking disk 0 is my existing h/drive and under that, disk 1 unallocated is that my new h/drive , now another has come up in disc 2 (F) 259mb fat healthy active, i think i better waite till someone comes along, time for a spliff me thinks :)