Cannabis and non-clinical depression

Guest earthgodess

Guest earthgodess

When I first came to live in my mountain aerie I did'nt know anyone and spent a winter almost entirely alone only getting to the town every two weeks. I got quite depressed and my doc tried me on Prozac and another anti-depressant but he told me they would probably not work because I was circumstantially and not clinically depressed.

The chemicals made me quite sick but had no mental effect. I discussed Cannabis and my good doctor said that while he could not in any way recommend it other patients had reported various medical uses which had helped them.

I started smoking pot again and found that while I did'nt feel like getting high when I was depressed I did find that just as the depression began to lift the dope would accelerate the process. I found that Sativa was better than Indica for treating depression -but that may be just a personal feeling.

By the same token a toke helped prevent me from becoming depressed. This is because depression is about inactivity, obsession with negative thoughts and the mind shutting down creativly. The creative buzz from spliff prevented me getting down.

Now that the stash has run out until the next harvest in three months....grown by a friend, I find that I miss the odd coupla spliffs at the weekend to give me a lift. I dont like being stoned 24/7; a temptation when I have too much stuff, but a few joints a week does me the world of good :unsure:

I really think that it's about time that this helpful medicine was medically available. :P

Higha Earthgodess and welcome to the medi forum.

Circumstantial depression - Hmmm.. Do you mind if I stick my non-medical head on the block here? I suspect the onset of a very natural mechanism, did you move from the town/city into the countryside? If so, it is very natural for your delicately balanced systems to detox all negative energy, especially mental energy. Its the influence {magic?} of the natural on you. It will only last a modest time, depending on how long you've been exposed to city life, and will normally be followed by calm, and a real increase in right-brain activity; ie, increased imaginatory power, improved meditation and an openness to the light of nature, all accompanied by a profound satisfaction.

It took us about six months to a year to really reap the benefits here. Now, we wouldn't move into a community of any sort for all the tea in China.

:unsure:

Guest earthgodess

Hi Arnold,

I agree with every word you say. In my case it was just that I was alone and did'nt know anyone. I do like to have a few good lovin friends and it was like solitary confinement for the first winter.

I lived in London for nine years in bedsits and every single day I longed to get back to the countryside but just did'nt have the bread. Now that I have successfully made the transition myself I am more than willing to assist anyone else to do so.

You are so right about the countryside and albeit that the countryside is not as rural or natural as it used to be, well, it's a ziollion times better than living in a concrete, noisy, polluted, crime-ridden city.

I am looking out on a little valley as we speak that has it's own rainbow and no houses. :D

Sounds cool Earthgodess.

No valley here, just miles of flat countryside stretching off into the distance. I can see Humber Bridge on a clear day {about 15 miles off}. Nearest neighbours, about 20 bulls, a load of pheasants and the odd farmer.

Some days I haven't a clue what day, week or month it is; just when the next harvest is due! :D

country born and reared.....live rural.

but the natives are rarely in......and when they are they are mostly quite...

love nothing better to know not what day, month its is....to just be is priceless...

bright blessings

mj

Guest earthgodess

Yep, I'm the same, I have to switch on the telly to see what day it is now and again in case I have an appointment. Sounds nice where Arnold lives as well Maryjane. Where I live no-one knows there is even a house there, it just looks like an old lane that leads to fields. Only thing is that I'd like to get more peeps here and get a good scene going. :D

• 4 weeks later...
Guest earthgodess

GROWLIGHTS CAN HELP DEPRESSION AND S.A.D.!

I had a really interesting point made to me yesterday by a medical man who has just started to grow his own.

He says that he is a sufferer from Seasonally Affected Disorder (SAD) in which one becomes depressed, alienated and even suicidal due to lack of light and sun in the Winter.

Since he started growing he says that spending time in his growroom is the equivelant of a sunbed, massage, sauna, aromatherapy for other conditions.

He says that he feels really refreshed and cheered-up, even exilirated by the effect of the growlights on his brain.

That is something I have not heard before but it is a really interesting thing. I have heard that sufferers from SAD were being treated in special 'Lightrooms' at clinics. But here we have yet another Medi by-product of helpful ole spliff! :huh:

• 4 weeks later...
Guest earthgodess

Quite amazing just how long it is taking governments to recognize and respond to the calls for an availability of Cannabis for medical use.

In the meantime patients continue to suffer in a number of ways.

It does appear as though the campaign for Medi-use will have to align itelf to the cam[aing for social use for a good time to come. Hopefully the Coffeshop movement will spread and grow strong in the UK. :blushing:

Edited by earthgodess

• 2 weeks later...
Guest earthgodess

Its extra depressing that you ;) cant get some wholesome herb if you know it will end your depression! :sorry: