Cannabis-based drugs 'by 2004'

Joolz

GW Pharmaceuticals predicts that the first cannabis-based drugs will be available on prescription by 2004.

GW is the only company to legally develop and produce cannabis-derived drugs.

It says research is progressing well.

Executive chairman Dr Geoffrey Guy says: "GW occupies a lead position worldwide and we are uniquely placed to become the first company in the world to achieve regulatory approval for prescription cannabis-based medicines.

"We remain confident of being able to present data to the UK regulatory authorities in 2003, and - subject to approval - bring the first cannabis-based prescription medicine to market in early 2004."

GW is carrying out research into using the illegal drug as a painkiller for a variety of illness, including multiple sclerosis, spinal cord injury, cancer and rheumatoid arthritis.

The update came as GW posted an increase in losses for the year to September 30 - from £2.3 million to £7.2 million - after a hike in research and development costs and increased administrative charges.

GW is licensed by the Government.

In October Home Secretary David Blunkett said he would recommend that the Medicines Control Agency authorise medicinal use of cannabis should the trials prove successful.

Story filed: 15:23 Wednesday 16th January 2002

Guest THE PUFFER

I would really like to get to GW some way or another to discuss a whole manner of things. Surely we are of the same breed ???

Couldn't we invite them and get them to post on the site, maybe like a debating forum, where we could speak openly and clearly about the one thing we are both trying to attain ?

:D

Puffer,

I have emailed GW and invited them to join us and discuss the medical and legal issues surrounding cannabis.

The address was a generic info@ though, so I am not sure how likely we are to get a response.  But heres hoping  :D

Guest THE PUFFER

:sarcasm: Its funny though really, how they hope to have a cannabis based drug by 2004, seeing as we already have cannabis and have done for unnumerable years. Its going to take them another two years just to put it into fashionable pill form to get a substitute nearly like the original  but not quite as good.

More than 2000 years of documented proof that cannabis is a true miracle drug, yet these people need two more years ?

If its side effects that they are worried about, then I for one out of millions can say they are most enjoyable :D

See what happens when big business gets involved

Thats the part that worries me!  Are they going to be against legalisation / de-crim because its going to hit them in the wallet?!?

That is why it would be nice if they did visit us to discuss such issues!

Guest THE PUFFER

I think Joolz means when big businesses jump on the cannabis bandwagon once they learn there is a buck in it. If it does spiral out of control like everything else us dirty 'umans touch, at least you know you can rely on     UK420     to help show you the path of truth and wellbeing.........hummmmmmmmmmm :peace: