Opposition to LCA?

BuddyBoris

Hi, just about to start reading the LCA website and I wondered if there was an established UK organisation actively opposing Cannabis use. My knowledge only goes as far as Jack Herers Emperors New Clothes and I am currently trying to develop a balanced picture in my own mind of the ethical and political situation in the UK which to me means listening to both sides. Jack Herer mentions DARE, PDFA and I think Mothers against Marijuana. So is there anything similiar in the UK it would be intreresting to read what they have to say, maybe they are still trying to ban rock'n' roll. Thanks

Hi BuddyBoris

There is very little in the way of a co-ordinated approach and documentation from the supporters of continued prohibition, in the main because successive governments have uttered policies solidly based on prohibition.

When public debate does take place there is a very poor showing from the prohibitionists even though (and I expect the roof of UK420 to fall in at this point) there are actually some good arguments in favour of prohibition. In common with most members of UK420 I conclude clearly that legalisation is a superior policy to prohibition but this does not blind me to some points to be made in its favour. I could, however, make a better media case for prohibition than most of its current supporters.

Most organisations defending prohibition have gravitated to the National Drug Prevention Alliance and you can find their case outlined

here.

I hope you find what you want but prepare to be dissappointed, the legalisers have the best tunes (and websites and arguments and members and .................................etc.).

Regards

Eddie

(edited for my regular spelling mistakes!)

Thanks for the reply Eddie will check out the link. I must admit I wasn't expecting much but just wanted an insight into the disadvantages of canabis legalisation, let face it there must be some whether we like it or not.

http://www.drugprevent.demon.co.uk/

That's the National Drugs Prevention Alliance, based in Slough

see also www.ccguide.org.uk/candis.htm

Also many DAT (Drud Awareness Teams) such as Hull and East Riding, and Rugby, issue pamphlets slagging off not just cananbis but the debate too, claiming it to be a gateway

Alun

LCA