Adaware

Spliffy.

Hiya

A while ago, I installed that ad-aware thingy, and I ran it today. It found something called a "possible server hijack attempt" :o

I deleted it, but does anyone know what that means? Does it mean someone's tried to hack me?

Any thoughts?

High there,

I run ZoneAlarm Pro, ad-aware regularly, AVP Russian Anti-virus, and various port scanners and system protectors.

This is not just for websites, but also for downloading large amounts of data on my 1 meg. connection, from some dubious sources.

I recommend ZoneAlarm, at least man!

All the best

Zone Alarm was causing problems with my (telewest) cable connection.

The engineer said that they were aware of the problem and had contacted Zonelabs but got no response.

Having said that, i have friends who use zone alarm and telewest cable with no problems at all.

I use a Norton firewall now.

Wilbur

High there,

Norton isn't secure and if Zone Alarm is configured properly, it will not cause problems with your connection.

Telewest don't know what they're talking about, neither do most other ISPs.

Their helpdesks are a complete joke!, even the most senior technicians!

All the best

I know norton isnt as secure but i have a hardware firewall ruuning on my router so i am quite safe. If they do manage to get through both firewalls, fuck it, re-install win. I doubt they would get into my Linux box though.

And i fully agree, telewest tech support is awful, i've sat lecturing 1st line support and asking them questions to see if they have a clue what they are talking about. I think they sit with a sheet of paper whichs says, remover TCP/IP, then add it again, start, ipconfig, release all, renew, if that fails, unplug the modem and restart. Bunch of monkeys!

The second line support team seem to be the same but have the power to give you a discount to stop you cancelling.

Wilbur

I use Norton. Its a perfectly good firewall, if used properly. That caveat applies to all firewalls though, and I tend to think the best firewall is one that somebody is comfortable with.

Now, why was I replying ....... :ninja: ..... ? Oh yes, AdAware - current signature file is 038-16.08.2002.

An alternative, also free is SpyBot Search & Destroy. Has more features, is easy to update, and works well as an extra check to AdAware. Advantages include the registry checker, elimination of usage tracks, ability to contact the spyware and successfully opt out of their shite, plus others that escape me at the moment.

Firts of all how dare you!!! bunch of monkeys.... :ninja:

I think they sit with a sheet of paper whichs says, remover TCP/IP, then add it again, start, ipconfig, release all, renew, if that fails, unplug the modem and restart. Bunch of monkeys!

As well as the monkey slur, it's not the fault of these por call centre staff, it's the companies these days that don't give their staff any proper training....if the staff don't know how to help, it's cause they haven't been trained properly....

Most businesses now seem to rely on automated call centres and uninformed staff.....

I know it's hard, but try not to take it out on the staff, but maybe send a quick email to the company, telling them your feelings, again, NOT blaming the employee concerned......

They drive me mad these places, and I have lost it with the employee on a couple of occasions, but I try bite my lip......

Sorry, not really relevant, but pet hate at the moment.....(had my mobile stolen last weeek, long hours calling round phone cos and insurance cos)......

Mono......x ;)

"maybe send a quick email to the company, telling them your feelings, again, NOT blaming the employee concerned"

>>> I wrote to my ISP 11 times, without a reply!!

These bozo's waste your 'phone bill talking crap! That's why we're mad Mono, not some 0800 number!

All the best

• 1 month later...