What Are You Reading At The Moment ?

Boojum

On 25/09/2023 at 12:54, Boojum said:

The Wasp Factory is fucking dark, probably the darkest thing he wrote. IMHO one of the best writers of his generation - shit, one of my favourite writers of all time, both his sci-fi and his non-genre stuff :notworthy: Taken far too young:sadwalk:

Loved the Wasp Factory, picked it up on a whim and read it cover to cover on a long train journey home back in the 90's, wasn't my last Banks that's for sure!

Love his Sci Fi Culture novels too even managed to get Mrs Delta to read one!

Edited by DeltaMelter
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Rarely dip into this part of the forum but just read back over a few pages.

I was a huge reader as a child and a teenager. I read 17 Stephen King books during my travels around India thanks to book swap traveller places.

I own a first edition of The Doors Of Perception that I bought when I was about 14 from a secondhand bookshop for about three quid. Dust jacket and everything.

I read The Wasp Factory when it came out (my then girlfriend worked in a bookshop)

It haunted me for a while.

I have a copy of Last Exit To Brooklyn in the loft, also too far away for me to get to now I'm old.

I've always loved reading, now my eyesight is starting to fail it upsets me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, woody2shoes said:

I've always loved reading, now my eyesight is starting to fail it upsets me.

Yep. Happens 🫤 Eyes are fucked. Ears are fucked. Can't remember the last time I even bothered to put a CD on. Years now.  Books? Fuck off! 😂

Recently bought " Poultry House Construction " by Michael Roberts, though. Really just wanted a couple of measurements, for a certain coop I want to make. I can manage the diagrams and, if I Really peer? Make out most of the inches he's talking about 🙄

Getting old's shit though, isn't it? 😬

• Like 2

Anarchy, by Errico Malatesta.

Gets to the point without fucking around and easy to read, so a good 'hello world' when it comes to these lines of thought I'd say.

With that thought in mind have suggested it to the book club my daughter and her mates do (it's only a few quid for a printed copy)...Really interested in what they have to say about it.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 31/01/2024 at 15:52, DeltaMelter said:

Loved the Wasp Factory, picked it up on a whim and read it cover to cover on a long train journey home back in the 90's, wasn't my last Banks that's for sure!

Love his Sci Fi Culture novels too even managed to get Mrs Delta to read one!

This is the first book I read that truly blew me the fuck away - also read it in the 90's

• Like 1

Currently reading the rise and fall of the third reich - really heavy going! This book is incredibly comprehensive and written by someone who was actually there just a short time after the war ended. It's pretty crazy reading this and realizing how watered down and whitewashed history becomes. Even more terrifying how the education system tends to paint nazis as right-wing, especially seeing how things are going on the left right now

• Like 2

Currently reading Iron Gold by pierce brown. Fourth in a six book series, originally the red rising trilogy but he’s since written three more, the latest light bringer has just come out. Sci fi with a bit of an action edge to it. It’s a little bit YA but it’s entertaining enough. Really enjoyed the first three books as you follow the main character Darrow through a revolution of sorts. It has elements of the themes used by Iain banks to ask questions about morality when “good” and “bad” collide and the compromises that need to be made. 

Struggling a bit more with iron gold as it’s moved into game of thrones territory with following multiple character narratives. I think it was just because it’s a little jarring at first. Now I’m 3/4 way though I’m enjoying it a bit more and can see what he’s setting up. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The rebels sketch book and Spark, both by Rupert Dreyfus. Both fiction and left leaning and I felt well worth the read, especially Spark as it talks about bringing about the end of the world! 

Just got into closed terrariums and got a book on Moss by Ulrica Nordstrom, very interesting read 

just read The Perfection Trap, pretty damning book about what we expect of ourselves and those around us if we let modern life rule our lives.

just started The Air Conditioned Nightmare by Henry Miller, written in 1941 about the shit state of America (and the world) basically describing the hell hole that the world is turning into under capitalism and big corporations, he one angry mother fucker, it's like a cross between bill hicks and yanis varoufakis lol incredible foresight.

Savage continent by Keith Lowe.

Looks at what happened throughout Europe at the end of the Second World War. Hard to read but forewarned is forearmed..😬

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

See the cover for Alan Moore's next novel, The Great When

The new book will explore "the forgotten spaces, startling events, and fabulous neglected characters" of London's history, the writer says.

By   

Published on April 29, 2024 10:00AM EDT
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

One of the great writers of our time is ready to show you London like you've never seen it before.

Alan Moore, whose iconic comics like Watchmen set a new standard for that medium, has an upcoming book set in and about London. His last novel, 2016's Jerusalem, was set entirely in Moore's hometown of Northampton, excavating the magical histories lying just beneath the surface of the working-class community. His new novel The Great When will give London the same treatment, and is actually the first in a series he's calling the "Long London quintet." Get your exclusive first look at the cover image below.

"The Long London quintet is an elaborate excuse for me to excavate the city's secret jewelry; the forgotten spaces, startling events, and fabulous neglected characters that are embedded in the place's blazing and unlikely history, but which seldom, if at all, see literary daylight," Moore tells EW in a statement. "And it isn't only London that's examined here, but also London's progress through our previous eventful century, from the smoking rubble following the last World War to the precarious cliff-edge of the new millennium."

Cover for Alan Moore's next novel 'The Great When'
'The Great When' by Alan Moore. 

BLOOMSBURY

Moore has tackled London before — if you've read From Hell, his epic graphic novel about Jack the Ripper with artist Eddie Campbell, it's hard to forget the chapter where the killer points out important London landmarks and monuments that form a pentagram. The Great When, and the Long London quintet overall, are set to dive even deeper into the city's history and culture.

Cover for Alan Moore's next novel 'The Great When'
The cover for Alan Moore's next novel 'The Great When'. 

BLOOMSBURY

"The series is a panorama of lost moments and elusive atmospheres, a range of alien facets to a grand metropolis that almost everyone assumes is already familiar to them," Moore continues. "Indeed, considering the oddness of the narrative, I'd harboured doubts that any cover image could come close to accurately representing it. How wrong I was. The wraps of The Great When are a small illustrative masterpiece that perfectly reflects the book's hallucinatory mood and storyline, along with that of the post-war decade the work is set in.

You can almost smell the coal-smoke and boiled cabbage. I hope that the prospective reader will be just as captivated by this riotous and uncanny urban walk as I myself have been, and look forward to bumping into them upon the eerie street-corners of The Great When. See you there."

The Great When: A Long London Novel will be published on Oct. 1 in the U.S. by Bloomsbury.

https://ew.com/alan-moore-the-great-when-cover-exclusive-8639795

just reread Rendezvous with Rama by A.C.Clarke, great scifi romp on an alien artifact floating through our solar system. 7.5/10