Digital Ballasts And Lumens/lux?

Guest gunnaknow

Thanks Randalizer, with it being an electronic ignitor I thought I'd sneak it in :spliff:

Yeah, be careful with fire mate, safety first, good thinking :yep:

• 2 months later...

Giving up on that old ballast :wink:

Just spotted a digital ballast can switch between 400 and 600 watts, it looks the business with reflector and 600w Grolux lamp for 100 quid free delivery and not fleabay! :execute:

• 1 month later...

anybody elses lightwave 6oow digi ballasts make their laptop touch pad a bit nervous/jumpy? lol its deff the ballast doing it as its fine with it off...

I have other rf issues with the ballast but it intefering with the laptop touchpad ia a bit :ouch: strange...or maybe not?

im going to build a high pass filter for the digi ballasts when i install them permanently also gonna build some nice screened cables when I get around to it lol

:rofl: :rofl:

• 2 weeks later...
I have just picked up a Lightwave 600w Digital Ballast, i did want a lumatek but could only get the lightwave locally.

post-35179-1246892527_thumb.png

It has now been running on 12/12 for 2 weeks with no problems using a grolux dual spectrum bulb.

I have just upgraded from a BAL 600w digi (ballast and reflector in one), to a mini gro star and the lightwave, all i can say is the difference is amazing.

I will update if i have any problems with it. :wink:

Hi im just curious to what was wrong with the B.A.L digital 600w? i just ordered 3 of these i was always led to belive that they were/are very good.

What problems did you have with yours?

• 4 weeks later...

Gold wave digis are the dogs bollocks mate, had one in a normal grassling, no contactor (an experiment) and hasnt blown anything. Got a trip switch in the extension lead so hoping that'll go if theres any probs. I'm cropping next week so thats 11 weeks straight running, 2 veg and 9 flower and no contactor!!!! :D

Anyone used the the B.A.L digital ballasts 600w?? i have read that they will start on a grasslin timer straight into a wall socket no need for a contactor.

Anyone used the the B.A.L digital ballasts 600w?? i have read that they will start on a grasslin timer straight into a wall socket no need for a contactor.

I'd take that with a pinch of salt mate - personally wouldn't run any HID off a timer without a contactor. Nothing worse than a timer getting stuck on for days halfway through flower and there is a potential fire risk without one. I on occasion have to leave my grow unattended for 4-5 days at a time and peace of mind is essential. A contactor ain't that expensive.

Edited by BluePixie

Hypothetical question - anyone had there broadband connection go to shit due to increased noise on the line after installing a digi ballast? Just wondering....

Nothing wrong with my broadband, tele lines and I have 3, 600W lumateks and a 400W NextGen all very close to my lines.

so thats 11 weeks straight running, 2 veg and 9 flower and no contactor!!!! :rofl:

Yer lucky. But if you're running without a contactor. You have to ask your self. Do you feel lucky?

post-31962-1270965968_thumb.jpg

I'd take that with a pinch of salt mate - personally wouldn't run any HID off a timer without a contactor. Nothing worse than a timer getting stuck on for days halfway through flower and there is a potential fire risk without one. I on occasion have to leave my grow unattended for 4-5 days at a time and peace of mind is essential. A contactor ain't that expensive.

I find that very interesting indeed mate i will be using a contactor but greens word means shit to me now then because they state clearly on there website that you can run a B.A.L digi 600w hps straight out of the wall socket through a grasslin timmer they even have a pic of the lamp run in that way.. I have read a lot of threads/posts on hear saying that greens are very good and to phone them for advice but going by what your saying there full of BS.

Guest Shairiley

greens are selling you a product that actually does wat it says it will run without a contacter but the peeps on here are sayin you are better to be safe than sorry thats all plus no one here probly has these ballasts so they will be more warry wen they have grew for years with contacters and had no problems ie people dont like to change things wen its not broken and also wen they feel safe hope you know what i mean ....:wacko:

I find that very interesting indeed mate i will be using a contactor but greens word means shit to me now then because they state clearly on there website that you can run a B.A.L digi 600w hps straight out of the wall socket through a grasslin timmer they even have a pic of the lamp run in that way.. I have read a lot of threads/posts on hear saying that greens are very good and to phone them for advice but going by what your saying there full of BS.

Grasslin timers are heavy duty for storage heating systems and big loads

Greens are right, a grasslin timer is fine