Was C.s Lewis A Head?

redbeard

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the book A Severe Mercy by Sheldon VanAuken a personal letter is reproduced on page 191 in which Lewis suggests to VanAuken that upon his next visit to England that the two of them “must have some good, long talks together and perhaps we shall both get high.” In light of this, it is interesting that in The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, Lewis’s fantasy children’s tale, a hero named Edmund meets a magical witch who conjures up for him a box of Turkish Delight, which Edmund devours and begs for more. Turkish Delight is a name for hashish.

EVER HEARD OF TURKISH DELIGHT aka HASHISH ?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Boojum

• Twelveways

• esoterikos

• Twenty Three

yes i just found this as well.

"In England, Egyptian hashish sweets such as Turkish Delight were eaten by university students. In the 19th century, hashish was used by the French Hashish Club which numbered among its members Theophile Gautier, Alexandre Dumas, Victor Hugo and Eugene Delacroix. While not so popular among English writers and artists, it was used around the turn of the century by the Decadents including WB Yeats and Ernest Dawson. For French and English writers, hashish, like other drugs, was taken to give them new experiences to write about, as a plot device, and it was employed to enhance creativity". CANNABIS IN CONTEXT

Guest Rex Mundi

You'll love this site then Red

Famous Drug Users

These two caught my eye;

Newt Ginrich, Speaker of the Senate "See, when I smoked pot it was illegal, but not immoral. Now, it is illegal AND immoral. The law didn't change, only the morality. That's why you get to go to jail and I don't. Any questions?" Yes, does he really believe himself? marijuana

Al Gore, U.S. vice-president "My work on the environment is so important that I can't take the time off to go to jail for something so trivial as marijuana. But its okay with me if you go." (Insensitive snot) marijuana

hypocritical bastards.

Rex

I SERIOUSLY doubt C S Lewis was any kind of head at all, he was a reconverted Christian (he 'lost his faith' as a teenager), and reconverts are always the worst sort of fanatic. The Narnia stories are an abomonation and should never be read to children, because behind their cute animals and high adventure they're nothing more than indoctrination into christian philosophy and theology. I spit on the lion the witch and the wardrobe (and as a kid I was always on the side of the white queen, even if aslan was supposed to appeal more to kids cos he was a lion, he was quite obviously Jesus, and I wasn't going to fall for that).

Edited to add and as far as the 'get high' comment is concerned, I beg to offer a different interpretation, I surmise that the letter was not a recent one, and the term 'get high' has not always been used exclusively to describe being on drugs, in fact originally it was a term for getting drunk ;)

Fanatical Christians aren't know for their mind expanding drug use, but there's a disproportionate number of heavy drinkers amongst their ranks. God apparently likes a pisshead.

Edited by Boojum

Fanatical Christians aren't know for their mind expanding drug use, but there's a disproportionate number of heavy drinkers amongst their ranks. God apparently likes a pisshead

Proverbs 20:1 "Wine is a mocker, strong drink is a brawler, and whoever is led astray by it is not wise"

:wassnnme:

I spit on the lion the witch and the wardrobe

I've spat on a wardrobe, but never spat on a lion or a witch

Note to self, get out more

B)

You'll love this site then Red

Famous Drug Users

yes i did enjoy that! many thanks!. i personally dont think that j.hendrix took herion though, this has been denied by close friends and his ex girlfriend. maybe c.s wasnt a head and he certainly was a christian but the person who posted that quote was a christian and a copper and thats what he recons. i got it from a christian site.who knows at the end of the day?

interesting that he ended hes life in the pacific islands trying to get rid of TB and died young. red

Well well... I can just see the shock of wooly-headed folks at hearing that news. Classic stories enjoyed by young and old alike being written by a stoner? Of course the reality is most good writers, artists and muscians are fond of the herb. Not that most people would realise it.

Gives me another thing to drop into related conversation with any people who disaprove of [my] bud smoking.

I SERIOUSLY doubt C S Lewis was any kind of head at all, he was a reconverted Christian (he 'lost his faith' as a teenager), and reconverts are always the worst sort of fanatic. The Narnia stories are an abomonation and should never be read to children, because behind their cute animals and high adventure they're nothing more than indoctrination into christian philosophy and theology. I spit on the lion the witch and the wardrobe (and as a kid I was always on the side of the white queen, even if aslan was supposed to appeal more to kids cos he was a lion, he was quite obviously Jesus, and I wasn't going to fall for that).

Edited to add and as far as the 'get high' comment is concerned, I beg to offer a different interpretation, I surmise that the letter was not a recent one, and the term 'get high' has not always been used exclusively to describe being on drugs, in fact originally it was a term for getting drunk ;)

Fanatical Christians aren't know for their mind expanding drug use, but there's a disproportionate number of heavy drinkers amongst their ranks. God apparently likes a pisshead.

Well hang on I mean it's not impossible to imagine christians that smoke ganja is it? Because I'm one myself. No I'm not fanatical, but nothing in the bible prohibits use of cannabis, in fact some people believe it encourages it in places.

So what the stories are based on the story of the bible? They don't say anything about encouraging a certain religion and they definately don't mention christianity. In my view their just stories.

Edited by widget

I loved L,W&W when I was a young un, I never noticed the christian undertones (or overtones) I just thought it was a brilliant story with a lion in it, a magical world and a wicked ice queen.

It was probably my favourite book when I was a kid, and I read a lot. I also read most of the other Narnia books and didnt notice any christian stuff in any of them, just amazing fantasy stories.

Theres undertones in everything if you look for them hard enough, dont let it put you off a beautiful book.

Apparently Star Wars is about the struggle of the Jews and the old testament :bush: , I personally dont give a fuck, Boba Fett is awesome.

meanwhile, back at the topic of conversation...

I think he was a toker, probably an opium fiend too before he became a Christian. If you notice, the Turkish Delight is bad and makes people do bad things. And its not uncommon for drug users who are at a very low ebb to find God, religion is clever like that, it offers you the illusion of something when you have nothing.

26 years Jesus free,

So what the stories are based on the story of the bible? They don't say anything about encouraging a certain religion and they definately don't mention christianity. In my view their just stories.

The fact that the narnia stories are thinly veiled christian allegory is well documented, there's been literally reams written about it.

Edited by Boojum

And I suspect the meaning of turkish delight is far more mundane than any drug connotation, it's probably used to represent gluttony.

so theres agreement then thats good :yinyang: but i think wed all agree great story and writer i liked the story as well so much as a kid . :wassnnme: