Zonealarm

thewhoami

• 2 weeks later...

I concur...

If you don't have a personal firewall, your being hacked.. RIGHT NOW..

If you don't belive me, get a firewall and watch the 1000's of hack attempts your PC is getting every hour.

I've used Zonealarm since I got a Cable modem ( thats over a year now!! ) and whilst it is a PAIN IN THE ASS when you have a new package which access the net, the pay off is that you will not be hacked at all, and you can stop SPYWARE from sending your details to somone who wants to use your browsing habits available to retailers, or somone else with more ominious objectives.

BLACK ICE - is another firewall which is as good, but is not FREE!

Norton Internet Security - is totally rubbish, and is definately the cellaphane version of the Firewall condom family!!

• 4 weeks later...

set your pc up right and you ain't getting hacked - 99% of scans zone alarm reports are going to have no effect on your system anyway - btw zone alarm is by no means perfect and there are known ways of getting through it

black ice defender is not a firewall - it's an intrusion detection system - quite different

just my 2 cents  :mad:

during last year i did read in the internet press of a few people for who installing zonealarm caused problems.apparently bigger problems were caused when the tried to uninstall it.i couldnt install it if i wantad as i do not yet have a pc.

• 1 month later...

Zone Alarm is best...

Norton is good..

BlackIce is pap...

IMO...and a lot of other peoples..

Also get a good virus checker..(norton, mcaffee..)

grc is a must visit site for security...(XP owners especially)

http://www.astalavista.box...if u want to know how to surf anonymously...there's some good tutorials

http://www.insecure.org...if you want to know about every security hole that exists on the internet..including the (in)famous BUGTRAQ list

• 1 month later...

Stripy, have you seen www.grcsucks.com?

ZA and BID are basically sops to those who don't want to learn about network security.  They offer false comfort.

There's no good reason to use one of them when you can run a dedicated Linux firewall on a 486 for sod all money.

this

thisand this

if you are interested in what really goes on, what the facts are and why personal firewalls are just about parting you from your cash.

If you know about IP ports and stateful inspection but still want a PF then run Tiny not ZA since it makes you think about things properly.

(I'm a certified security admin)

• 1 month later...

I agree with I Cane Bud

ZA is great for the average home user with no knowledge of remote networking, ip chains, or what a port is :oldtoker:, but it is quite an easy firewall to tunnel.

Blackice is in no way a firewall ! and IMO of no use whatsoever.

Running your own firewall box is the way to go, and some of the feebies (freesco for eg) are very easy to set up and will run on a 2-486 with 8m ram and no h/d.

I run a modified version of @guard .....before you all go slagging it, saying that GRC dont rate it, i'll put it on a server and let you try it.

Like i said  Its been modified.

It alerts me of every incoming/outgoing connection attempt, blocks cookies/java/active-x/pop-ups etc etc

In reality, theres no such thing as a protected computer, every o/s, software, hardware has its flaws and theres some real clever phuckers out there that love finding them