Fastest SCROG protocol

chrononzon23

Hi Folks,

My soil scrogs take 5 months start to finish.

This is just not good for me.

4 plants in a 2 x 4 tent with a net.

So.....

next time i'm considering starting 8 plants in smaller pots with the theory being to fill the net faster.

Will it really shave a month off my start to finish?

Thoughts and experiences appreciated!

C

2 hours ago, chrononzon23 said:

Will it really shave a month off my start to finish?

Yes. 

Your other option would be to have a veg space so you can have 2 nice big girls ready to chuck under the net as you chop/finish drying the last lot. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, chrononzon23 said:

2 x 4 tent with a net.

If that's 2 x 4 ft i could shave a month off with just two plants, explain your method? It shouldn't take 5 months

Edited by Military Grade

Posted (edited)

scrogs aren't speedy, they're a way to maximise yield while keeping plant numbers low or keep form in awkward spaces. Any sort of methodology outside of that is misguided imo. 

I would imagine that by doubling your plant numbers, you'll knock off half of your veg time, if thats a month, then yeah it'll knock a month off your cycle time. If you still plan to "scrog" them I'd probably sack that idea if speed is the name of the game, top (in veg)/train your plants until about a week into flower and then put two nets about a foot apart (or more if stretchy) and let them stretch through it for support. 

Edited by GSZZ
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Two plants in a 2x2ft only 4 weeks veg

large.20230607_000126.jpg.5e15e649d42847358dc5994615444e5e.jpg

Double the size so 4 plants in a 4x2ft still only 4 week veg, using a scrog net doesn't need to be a slow process, if anything you can use it to speed things up when done properly, 3 months and 1 week from seed to harvest 👍

Single plant still under 4 months.

large.20240209_072518.jpg.c469d3988b9d51912f6d44f81af6637d.jpg

• Like 4
  • WOW 1

1 hour ago, MindSoup said:

Yes. 

Your other option would be to have a veg space so you can have 2 nice big girls ready to chuck under the net as you chop/finish drying the last lot. 

This! ^^

• Like 1

Just remember, more plants of different strains equals more hassle to keep them all happy lol

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Extra tent is very handy if you have the room, not only can you get veg started early but also store mothers/cuts 👍

Edited by Military Grade

1 minute ago, Military Grade said:

Extra tent is very handy if you have the room, not only can you get veg started early but also store mothers/cuts 👍

Or an ordinary household cupboard converted into a nursery.. 

large.632e361069d7e_image_6483441(2).JPG.a9a6f186c795b5be8c3729295db9189d.JPG

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, GSZZ said:

If you still plan to "scrog" them I'd probably sack that idea if speed is the name of the game,

+1 justdo a SOG style with loads of small pots if your not worried about plant numbers and speed is the up most importance. 

It's a tricky one all this training method pros and cons etc. I always here people talk about "this method gives this many ounces per plant" which is probably inaccurate but more importantly a rubbish way of looking at things. What we should be focusing on (if we care about yield) is grams per watt per day or even more accurately grams of resin per watt per day. When you start looking at it like that lots of small plants starts to make more sense, I could get 4 kilos of one plant if I had a big enough pot and vegged for long enough in a big enough space, but I could probably get a few more kgs in that same space and time by doing multiply runs with a shit load of small plants in 5L pots. 

But it's not all about yield, some weed takes longer or yields less but is more distinctive and worth the lower yield. Having more plants equals potential for getting into more trouble etc etc it's all swings and roundabouts. 

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, MindSoup said:

s. What we should be focusing on (if we care about yield) is grams per watt per day or even more accurately grams of resin per watt per day. When you start looking at it like that lots of small plants starts to make more sense, I could get 4 kilos of one plant if I had a big enough pot and vegged for long enough in a big enough space, but I could probably get a few more kgs in that same space and time by doing multiply runs with a shit load of small plants in 5L pots. 

I can't back this up with anything - but I feel SOG plants results in a more uniform end product as well in terms of resin distribution, as there is overall less waste material or material that might have been in a low band of light. 

I find 6.25 plants per m2 (adjusted for reality, so 6 in a 1m2) is my sweet spot. I very rarely veg from a rooted cut for more than 14 days.

• Like 4
  • WOW 1

Yeah mate I'm with you on that. I've seen some lovely grows where each plant has been basically one/a few huge top/s. No mids, way less trim work, easier to handle when drying etc etc etc.

• Like 2

And a lot more of watering lol

• Like 3

How do you mean? If you keep the plants an appropriate size for their pots they won't need watering any more than normal? 

Bigger footprint, if we are talking about real SOG

More splash and waits with more pots = more time lol