Most Underrated Musicians

Boojum

Was originally gonna just say underrated guitarists but thought all musicians would be better, a wider scope (and underrated includes should be wider known)

For me one of the most underrated guitarists ever is East Bay Ray from Dead Kennedys. I'll admit they're probably my favourite band, so I'm biased lol but although Jello Biafra kinda got all the attantion (cos he's an attention seeker lol and sadly seemingly a dick, at least in how he treated the rest of the band and their share of the money :sadwalk: but still a great lyricist, front man and spoken word artist) it was Ray who gave them their distinct sound, unlike any other punk band. He could/can knock out blistering hardcore thrash with the best of them, and IMHO wrote some of the best punk riffs ever, but there's so much more with his influences of surf rock, pop and even jazz. And that crystal clear sound, his guitar ringing like a bell almost on tracks like Moon Over Marin. For me an absolute guitar legend, but unless you were/are into punk you've probably never heard of him :sadwalk:

Who do you think is underrated and/or should be more well known ? :)

Edited by Boojum
  • Like 5

15 minutes ago, BilgePump said:

Larry LaLonde.

:yinyang:

Big fan of Primus (Les Claypool is an awesome bassist, but I don't think he's underrated, most people who know about bass playing know him).

Buzz Osborne, King Buzzo, is maybe another one that a lot of people haven't heard of unless they're into a certain kind of music. Fucking love Melvins, another of my favourite bands, so fucking heavy :headbang:

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

All of the session musicians we haven't heard of that made, produced and wrote music for the names and faces we know and have heard of. 

What me might want to hear are the groups or people that are seriously hard working musicians. Thankfully You tube has given some street performers some notoriety . If we're talking about hard working,long in the game, lesser known yet maybe known abroad, I'm thinking of ''The Mary Stokes Band''. Dublin and New York roots, U2 couldn't compete regarding talent ,but U2 are millionaires.

I don't understand why Bill Frisell isn't as rich and famous as Bruno Mars. It's akin to corned beef being a more expensive and popular food than sirloin steak. I only know that a lot of people watch TV, and are only familiar with western music that has to have rhythm, melody, harmony and even better if it's all in the same key ,similar patterns and notes. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Late to the party but Junior Withnail introduced me to Frank Turner last year. Initially wasn't a fan, find it hard to get into anything remotely 'new' nowadays ( appreciate he's not exactly new but new to me ) , however after a few listens of a few tracks something really hit. Lyrically he's intelligent ,insightful and witty, and musically he really presses many of my buttons. There's not an artist I've found in the last 10 years that's given me the feels like he does, and even more delightfully I emailed him and he bloody well replied !