Mike Tyson once fought stoned after smoking cannabis before boxing bout

Joolz

'Iron Mike' owns is an avid weed user and smoked it before his win against Andrew Golota that was later overturned to a no-contest because of his failed drug test

Mike Tyson is known for his love of weed and was even high on the drug in his fight against Andrew Golota.

Boxing legend 'Iron Mike' has become a regular weed smoker since hanging up his gloves and admitted he wishes he used the drug more often during his legendary ring career. Tyson has been selling cannabis products since 2016 and even owns a 420-acre cannabis ranch in California that generates an estimated $500,000 per month.

Tyson fought Polish heavyweight Golota in October 2000 after picking up back-to-back KO wins against Lou Savarese and Julius Francis on UK soil. Golota quit on his stool after being battered for two rounds, a decision that was met with backlash by the crowd but it was later revealed he suffered a concussion, neck injury and herniated disc in the fight.

Watch all of the biggest upcoming fights live on DAZN, with some of the best sporting action available as part of your subscription as well as on pay-per-view. You can also follow all of the best action from fights around the world broadcast weekly as part of the package.

Tyson refused to submit to a pre-fight urine test but did take one after the bout, only for it to later test positive for marijuana. 'Iron Mike' opened up on smoking weed before the fight he told The Dan Patrick Show: "I only did it [get high] one time when I was fighting. When I fought Golota, that's the only time I smoked weed and fought.

"It didn't affect me. It affected Golota. They fined me a couple of hundred dollars for that stuff." Tyson's stoppage win was overturned to a no-contest by the Michigan commission and he was fined $250,000. Despite marijuana not being classified as a performance-enhancing drug, Tyson explained how it benefitted him in the fight.

"I broke his cheekbone, his eye socket, his rib — I should have been doing this from the beginning. I said, 'Wow.' I got fined for that, of course, but it was worth every bit of it. I think of it as an enhancer. It makes me better, even in the ring. The punches don't hurt as much," Tyson told Yahoo.

'Iron Mike' hasn't fought since a one-off exhibition against fellow legend Roy Jones Jr. in November 2020 but is back in the ring on July 20 when he faces Jake Paul. An official ruleset for the fight hasn't been announced, but it will take place at the 80,000 seat AT&T Stadium in Texas.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/boxing/mike-tyson-jake-paul-fight-32463045

• Like 1