Filtering cannabutter options?

Hole in the clouds

Hi what’s the best way to filter butter?

I used coffee filters last time but took to long and difficult.
I was looking at getting a chinois strainer for soups would this work? Don’t want to waste money as I don’t have any at the moment lol 

I use a cafetiere  

or there are loads of nut milk bags in different micron (and volume) sizes on the marketplace websites, you can pick up cheap 

• Like 1

I've never had a problem using coffee filters or cheese cloth. As long as the butter is hot it will run right through. Put the filter in a funnel, stand it in a jar and leave it to do it's thing. Any left over in the filter squeeze it out with your fingers.

I love the butter high, seems way cleaner to me than alcohol tinctures. Takes ages to kick in though and I'm often still high the next morning, which ain't good when your working.

Edit to add. The chinois filter will work a treat. A plastic bottle cut in half, turned upside down with a coffee filter inside does the same thing.

Edited by Shogun
  • Like 3

I just poor mine through a sieve to get the big chunks out, if you keep it frozen it doesn't matt if it shot some bits of plant in it. Does make stuff taste more weedy when you use it like that, but I don't really care

• Like 3

The MBM(Magical Butter Machine) comes with a small bag(2l maybe) with a 190 micron filter in the base :) 

This is what I use now.

Before this I used to cut up old(clean) t-shirts to use as a filter,

lining a sieve and sitting on top of a pot for collection.

As mentioned the warmer the better as the viscosity will be lower :yep:

My most recent method for making butter involves using the material for a run of bubble hash first,

to remove a load of the Chlorophyll etc :) 

Atb

:yinyang:

• Like 4

The Magical Filter Press is decent, I got one with my butter machine and it makes short work of 500ml of oil filtered and cooling in 5 mins.

Granted they are stupidly overpriced but it was part of a kit and it does work as you can put a fair bit of pressure on and squeeze until you have a dry puck.

Now that sounded kinda dirty :chains:

• Like 4

I also make use of a potato ricer to squeeze the goodness out of the material :) 

Atb

• Like 5

Reason I’m looking is I had a bit of a mare with the coffee filters to be honest. First try the paper filter burst half way through. After a while I just had a thick cooled sludge in the funnel so I resorted to trying to get it through with boiling water then I tipped it all over the kitchen floor. Cleaned it all up then tipped it again and well it just wasn’t my day made a hell of a mess took me about 12 hours and I ended up with 190g out of 500g of butter! lol 

• Like 2

Just strain it through a sieve and send it mate, second filtration with cheese cloth in the sieve if your feeling extra fancy. Always do a rough filtration to get most of the stuff out before doing a fine filtration, otherwise the fine filter just blocks up with sediment and it takes ages. 

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Shumroom said:

I also make use of a potato ricer to squeeze the goodness out of the material :) 

Atb

Game changer, for mash and oil/butter making :hippy:

• Like 3

When making coconut oil I use an Aeropress. Quite similar to the magical filter press. 

Can press down quite hard to get the extra bit of liquid out.  

Edited by Chick0ndipper
  • Like 3

My staples have already been mentioned by others. 

The MBM filter bag is very handy. 

Roll of cheesecloth. 

Ricer. 

• Like 1

Cheesecloth, t-shirt, fine net curtains, tights, straining bag, sieve (plastic ones are often finer).

I recommend adding a load of cool water to the mix once you have strained it off, cool it in a larger bowl.  Once cold and the fat has formed a layer, you can peel it off and chuck the filthy water.

Then melt it again either with hot water or in the microwave with clean, cool water and when it is cold enough and you peel it off again, you'll find the second time there is a load more filthy water and the butter is quite a lot cleaner.

Even if you have a bit of vegetation passing through the sieve, remelting it with water once or twice leaves the butter cleaner each time and I dont think there is any real loss of mass or potency from doing so

That's how I do it now...

Edited by MidgeSmith
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Cafetierre works well for me, then into a narrow bowl and in the shed till the fat has solidified. then rinse the clag off the bottom and melt in microwave, quick rinse of the bottom of that and its good to go