RSO to fight Influenza?

disco survivor

For the last 6 or 7 years I've developed pneumonia to varying degrees with at least a couple of extended stays in hospital, following Influenza/ Covid infections. There hasn't been a single instance in recent years where I haven't needed antibiotics or a stay in hospital after a bout of flu (or flu type infections).

Just for a bit of background, I've never smoked but did get Tuberculosis when I was 8 years old which caused some scare tissue on my lungs. Never prevented me from joining the Fire Service (although I did have to go through additional medical tests before being accepted). However, as I get towards my 60th birthday, I am unable to fight off chest infections without prescription medicine.

I recently caught a chest infection which was probably brought into the house by one of our twins. He's been bad for a couple of weeks now with no signs of it going away. As well as the usual (and useless) over the counter flu capsules, I decided to take a couple of drops of RSO under my tongue before going to bed. 7 days later and apart from an irritating dry cough, I'm recovering well.

Could be an absolute fluke and nothing to do with RSO but the recovery has been nothing short of dramatic. Can't find any literature documenting cannabinoids as a treatment for Influenza so might be all in my head. Certainly going to ensure I have a stock of RSO anyway.

For the record, the RSO was made with bud and trim from a South African Landrace strain - Malawi Gold (not sure that makes any differencelol)

• Like 2

If you type scholar into Google and search Google scholar for “antiviral AND cannabinoids” you’ll find lots of evidence that cannabinoids have been shown to possess antiviral properties. 

Looks like (only scanned quickly) there’s still work to be done on which cannabinoids and how effective they actually are. 

But yeah, looks like it helps to some degree.

• Like 7
1 hour ago, Cursed said:

search Google scholar for “antiviral AND cannabinoids”

I don't think the AND is doing anything. Try putting both words in double quotes e.g. "antiviral" "cannabinoids" and it narrows down 16000 results to 5770.

IIRC Cannabis can have an expectorant effect too, I think that's a terpene though, not a cannabinoid, so it might not even be in RSO?

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Cursed said:

If you type scholar into Google and search Google scholar for “antiviral AND cannabinoids” you’ll find lots of evidence that cannabinoids have been shown to possess antiviral properties. 

Looks like (only scanned quickly) there’s still work to be done on which cannabinoids and how effective they actually are. 

But yeah, looks like it helps to some degree.

Thanks. Just found this paper on the subject: 

Cannabis as antivirals

Affiliations expand

Abstract

Cannabis is a plant notorious for its psychoactive effect, but when used correctly, it provides a plethora of medicinal benefits. With more than 400 active compounds that have therapeutic properties, cannabis has been accepted widely as a medical treatment and for recreational purposes in several countries. The compounds exhibit various clinical benefits, which include, but are not limited to, anticancer, antimicrobial, and antioxidant properties. Among the vast range of compounds, multiple research papers have shown that cannabinoids, such as cannabidiol and delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol, have antiviral effects. Recently, scientists found that both compounds can reduce severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus-2 (SARS-CoV-2) viral infection by downregulating ACE2 transcript levels and by exerting anti-inflammatory properties. These compounds also act as the SARS-CoV-2 main protease inhibitors that block viral replication. Apart from cannabinoids, terpenes in cannabis plants have also been widely explored for their antiviral properties. With particular emphasis on four different viruses, SARS-CoV-2, human immunodeficiency virus, hepatitis C virus, and herpes simplex virus-1, this review discussed the role of cannabis compounds in combating viral infections and the potential of both cannabinoids and terpenes as novel antiviral therapeutics.

• Like 1

I'm guessing the RSO wasn't made from Isopropyl. It would be better than nothing, but for all the research, anti-viral properties etc, it's always safer to use food grade ethanol, i.e QWET oil? 

• Like 1

I have asthma best thing I've found for breathing is boiling ginger with a few cloves and drinking the tea. Can add turmeric cinnamon lemon lime honey pine needles garlic chillies whatever else you think might help but the ginger and cloves are key. I also put the stalks off my plants in.

Can even eat the ginger and cloves raw if need be.

The tea will definitely help with chest infection 

The rso cant hurt either

• Like 3
20 hours ago, kc stoner said:

I have asthma best thing I've found for breathing is boiling ginger with a few cloves and drinking the tea. Can add turmeric cinnamon lemon lime honey pine needles garlic chillies whatever else you think might help but the ginger and cloves are key. I also put the stalks off my plants in.

Can even eat the ginger and cloves raw if need be.

The tea will definitely help with chest infection 

The rso cant hurt either

My wife is a spice merchant. She makes a "Super spice" mix for friends and family that they all swear by. I hate the taste so don't use it (mainly the turmeric). She blends turmeric, black pepper, ginger and garlic powder then adds it to Manuka honey. Apparently, the piperine in the black pepper magnifies the healing properties of the turmeric, ginger and garlic.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

@disco survivor I hope you're in better shape presently. I'm hoping you're still knocking about!

I'm guessing that a lot of people get pneumonia, whether it's just bad luck or an injury, swelling that invites pneumonia into a lung that can't open, but they put it down to a chest infection. I'm pretty sure I've had it other times before but when I thought I had bruised ribs I didn't know it was pneumonia ,and it developed into empyema. It was only when I thought I was having a heart attack that I got to A&E. It's nearly six month ago and recovery's extremely slow. Worried that it's back again, because the pain is bad and there's an odd feeling coming in the lung that wasn't drained. I'd like to get an x-ray, anti-biotics and a blood test but it's like war times with the doctors surgery and the hospital team(s), they're busy and slow to get results back or to even get an appointment within the week. 

• Like 2
22 hours ago, Michael Luchóg said:

@disco survivor I hope you're in better shape presently. I'm hoping you're still knocking about!

I'm guessing that a lot of people get pneumonia, whether it's just bad luck or an injury, swelling that invites pneumonia into a lung that can't open, but they put it down to a chest infection. I'm pretty sure I've had it other times before but when I thought I had bruised ribs I didn't know it was pneumonia ,and it developed into empyema. It was only when I thought I was having a heart attack that I got to A&E. It's nearly six month ago and recovery's extremely slow. Worried that it's back again, because the pain is bad and there's an odd feeling coming in the lung that wasn't drained. I'd like to get an x-ray, anti-biotics and a blood test but it's like war times with the doctors surgery and the hospital team(s), they're busy and slow to get results back or to even get an appointment within the week. 

Yes pal, I'm OK thank you. I've had another spell of ill health so went straight to the hospital and cut out the doctors surgery (they are literally useless). Have a lump in my neck and started to develop night sweats. Not sure if it's the same across the UK but where I am we have an electronic notification service where notes sent to the doctor by the hospital and vice versa appear in an app. Unfortunately, the note from A&E to my doctor stated I had Non Hodgkin Lymphoma (Suspected). Reading it in an app is not the way I wanted to be informed but that's progress for you ! The letter said I'd been referred to the haematology department. 2 weeks went by and I'd heard nothing. After many slightly frantic  phone calls, I was informed that Haematology had reviewed the data and had rejected the referral (but kept it to themselves). I'm now of the view that there are many wonderful people in the NHS but it's being run into the ground and getting close to being  'Not fit for purpose". I've since had lots of blood tests and an ultrasound on the lump and it's come back clear. Quite possibly the most stressful 2 weeks of my life.

I've been micro dosing with Rick Simpson Oil  for quite some time now and have only picked up one chest infection this winter which was over in a matter of days. Last winter (without the RSO)  I had several infections and a bout of pneumonia. There is definitely something in the oil that helps to fight infections (possibly anti inflammatory properties?). You need to go to A&E and cut out the GP surgery. Hope you feel better soon 👍

• Like 2

Thanks @disco survivor

I'm glad the end result was clear but sure that must have been a nightmare ,hospital stays ain't nice either. If the oil's working well that's great. 

Today I wasn't in as much pain, thanks be to Jaysus, and I went to work,but still the odd feeling at the bottom of a lung. 

The surgery aren't very helpful, you're right. They were supposed to get back to me yesterday evening and never called today. 

Take it easy buddy.

• Like 2