Distance

burninit

Hi all. 

Well I'm back at at after a few years away, 

I have never been or plan to be an expert in the field of growing just plodding along and doing my own thing. 

Now things have moved on quite a bit since the last time. 

So this time I gone for a 1.5 x 1.5 tent which is out in my shed as I now have a very curious 12 year old and I'm using a max bright 1000 pro led. 

Now outside temps have seriously affected the tent temps no matter how hard I tryed to regulate them and also water temps for watering obviously. 

I just had my first attempt in 11ltr fabric pots and although the seened to grow OK and flower well the buds although glistening like a Christmas tree have dryed so light and airy I feel like iv wasted my grow. 

I have a feeling that light distance was a contributing factor, and trying to find the correct distance on line is a mine field. 

Any help would be appreciated guys. 

Just now, burninit said:

Now outside temps have seriously affected the tent temps no matter how hard I tryed to regulate them and also water temps for watering obviously. 

You have to sort the temperature out before anything else.

Is this your first LED? You can get away with low temps if you use a HID (to some degree) but LEDs are different.

• Like 1

Just now, latigid aikon said:

You have to sort the temperature out before anything else.

Is this your first LED? You can get away with low temps if you use a HID (to some degree) but LEDs are different.

Yes bud first led grow. 

Just now, burninit said:

first led grow. 

The old HPS lights direct a lot of infra red heat directly towards the plant but LEDs don't.

In simple terms plants don't get very bright light in very cold conditions in nature so they haven't evolved to cope with it. They can only cope with lots of light if the temperature is similarly high.

You'll have to insulate the shed a lot and add some heaters.

• Like 3

I'm not sure this should be in the Controlled section what with him using a maxi right. Lighting would be more appropriate. Maybe a mod could move it? 

I can't tag on my phone or I'd ask

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, KC said:

I'm not sure this should be in the Controlled section what with him using a maxi right. Lighting would be more appropriate. Maybe a mod could move it? 

I can't tag on my phone or I'd ask

I didn't realise this was a sponsored part of the page. I reposted in the lighting section. 

Apologise. 

My bad

• Like 2

to answer your light question - get the photone app on your mobile - clever little app that works out light output so you can set your light height or dimmer.

they have some good article about light photons,  par, ppfd dli etc but dont get too hung up on the detail (unless you want to ) the table below gives you levels at different weeks

cannabis-dli-cycle-5.png

Edited by RUFUS HOUND

3 minutes ago, RUFUS HOUND said:

get the photone app on your mobile

Have you ever compared it against an actual light meter? Not sure if it varies between phone models or what, but I took my quantum sensor to work so a customer could test the photoneapp against it and the app was miles out - a high powered LED at like 800w was only reading like 600ppfd on the app about 10cm away and on the light meter it was over 2000! I wouldn't in good faith be able to recommend people use it going forward unless they can calibrate it against an actual meter like we did - but even then, how reliable is that?

@GSZZ its to be used as a guide and I use it, so I can recommend it, as to accuracy you can calibrate it to your light, recommended by shane migro and hes done the tests on it, I think hee recommend PPFD meter  now as well  - I, like most, would love to have 1000 quid instrument in my cupboard but alas its a little out of my price range.

hey they are never going to be as accurate an apogee but who has that money, its like comparing SUV to sports car 

I thought it was the Unit UT383bt,

in combination with the PPFD app that was recommended by @MIGRO as a cheap alternative to a quantum meter :) 

Atb

:yinyang:

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RUFUS HOUND said:

its like comparing SUV to sports car

I know this is nothing to do with lighting but SUVs usually cost more than sports cars, the difference is sports cars are fun to drive whilst SUVs make you look a cunt :)

55 minutes ago, KC said:

I know this is nothing to do with lighting but SUVs usually cost more than sports cars, the difference is sports cars are fun to drive whilst SUVs make you look a cunt :)

depends on the sports car and the cunt of course

@Shumroom uumm could have been 

any how Ive used both and others and are a better alternative to guessing - it gives you something to go off if nothing else and thats what the OP wanted.

and it comes pretty close to my light reference chert figures at 12" - cant say fairer than that 

I use it as a guide rather than an absolute and happy plants are the best indication.Ive used it on numerous grows and its served me well as it cost nothing.

I know there was bother in the early days of the app - what with the white paper trick with iphones

Edited by RUFUS HOUND

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/12/2023 at 7:50 PM, GSZZ said:

reading like 600ppfd on the app about 10cm away and on the light meter it was over 2000

:rofl:

Got this vision now of some guy standing in a tent door looking at a crop full of super bleached burnt tops scratching their head getting ready to post a topic called "What did I do wrong"...

It may sound harsh, but you get what you pay for. Using a phone app for anything thats supposed to be measured by proper equipment is asking for trouble. Its like one of those TikTok apps that claims to be able to see your genetic lineage from a selfie of your face. I wouldn't trust a phone app for the square route of shite personally.

Sounds like the guy was lucky they found out sooner rather than later tbh.

• Like 3