Canna coconut oil experience

Older not wiser

Hi all, I read everything I could find on the Internet before I made my coconut oil, so I thought I would share my learning to hopefully save someone the effort!

I can not smoke- it's too much, my tolerance is too low and it makes my mind race and not in a good way plus as a reformed smoker it's too tempting. So we decided to eat the weed but I am diabetic so cakes and brownies are out. 

I have just completed my first ever grow and made around 2.5 litres of coconut oil from 3 plants. Each 250ml of oil has about 8g of flower. I bought a nebula boost to decarb and infuse which makes the process simple. I did try making cannabis infused yoghurt but fucked that up and it didn't work ( decarb issue i think). I was paranoid about the smell as my neighbours are close. The Nebula boost reduced but didn't eliminate the smell. 

The oil I mix with sunflower lecithin and decarbed weed. I leave the oil in the machine for a few hours after so it can infuse more than the 2 hrs the nebula is programmed for and then i strained it into glass jars which I store in the fridge. A half tsp is enough for a nice buzz and it lasts for 6-8hrs. I haven't had a whitey yet but I fully expect to get cocky and freak myself out! Lol. 

I saved all the discarded material and am steeping in dark rum to extract any last thc, we will strain this at Xmas. 

I did try straining it through coffee filters and making it really clean but towards the end I just strained it through a normal sieve and bottled it, so it has some bits in it but that doesn't bother me. I usually mix a tsp with a hot coffee and knock it back like tequila. 

Making 2.5 litres of oil was quite a time commitment and I partially dried my harvest before I started making oil. 

I think I am done now for a good 6 months. I would love to hear about your oil experiences or how you process weed into an edible form, as I am keen to learn. 

Cheers 

• Like 3

You could find a source of b-caryophyllene to add to to it to calm it it down. Find PURE ESSENTIAL pepper oil. Not the stuff for cosmetics. Put a few drops in or do it sublingually from the bottle. See if that makes a difference. If you go over the top, pure lemon juice (contains D-Limonene) or chewing black peppercorns have the more calming terpenes in  as a quick potential remedy. Sniffing freshly ground black peppercorns may be sufficient to ease things.  I had to do this once, that's how I found it. 

Edited by catweazle1

3 hours ago, Older not wiser said:

Making 2.5 litres of oil was quite a time commitment

Yes in a Nebula that would be quite the mission. I assume you didn't go for the Magic Butter or Nebula Chef as they can't decarb :unsure: It would be way easier in one of those.

I make oil much the same way you do, I do prefer olive oil to coconut oil though or mct is another option, I don't mind it but olive is my fave. Be careful leaving the bud in the oil after it's finished, it seeps back into the bud and you yield a lot less, not really too bad for you as you're reusing the bud in the alcohol infusion, be careful with that lol

Only really started on edibles a few years back doing brownies but they were too hit and miss. They'd always do something but sometimes they'd be ridiculous. I sampled one before work one day and thought I was going to die. That's what got me onto the infusion machines, far more consistent.

I don't know if it was a coincidence but whenever I seemed to do a batch of coconut oil my drain outside would get blocked (after I'd washed up). I had to buy one of those unblockers off the tinternet.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KC said:

I don't know if it was a coincidence but whenever I seemed to do a batch of coconut oil my drain outside would get blocked (after I'd washed up). I had to buy one of those unblockers off the tinternet.

The oil solidifies below something like 25c. You need to run hot water after you sling it down a plughole and likewise hot water to clear it... if it's not too bunged up.

There should be no coconut oil down the drain at all!

Coconut oil melts at 17C and cacao butter melts at 35C if you need something less melty in the summer. 

6 hours ago, Older not wiser said:

I would love to hear about your oil experiences or how you process weed into an edible form, as I am keen to learn. 

I make sift hash first and decarb everything in cocao butter (120C for around 20 mins - until the small bubbles are gone), but I'm done with edibles, they're too stoney for too long and I prefer dry herb vapes now.

For my next experiment, I plan to simply grind my dried buds into capsules, eliminate oil completely to see if it's less sedating.. I'll post the results once done. 

• Like 3

I'm not pouring it down the drain am i lol I'm only washing up the bits from the machine and the bag in hot soapy water. Anyway I don't bother with it anymore, last one was mct, one before was olive oil. I'm sticking with that now. Oh they say not to use extra virgin olive oil but I do and it's amazing. I also seen a company in Canada who make infused oils and they use extra virgin, one brother presses the olives and the other bro does the weed, so it can't be that bad.

Wish my bro was that cool.

• Like 3