Dry and cure then make canna oil?

Older not wiser

Hi all, I am just about to harvest my plants. I intend to make tinctures and canna coconut oil with my nebula as I can't smoke it.

Question I have is, do I need to dry and cure it first or can I go straight to decarb? Has anyone done this? Did it work? Or am I better to dry it first. 

Thanks in advance 

Just now, Older not wiser said:

Hi all, I am just about to harvest my plants. I intend to make tinctures and canna coconut oil with my nebula as I can't smoke it.

Question I have is, do I need to dry and cure it first or can I go straight to decarb? Has anyone done this? Did it work? Or am I better to dry it first. 

Thanks in advance 

I think if you want to process it fresh you need to freeze it and follow fresh frozen process for extracting. Usually you dry the material out properly to process for decarb though and freeze frozen fresh material for extracting cause it makes the trichs drop off. Thats the only way I heard using fresh material anyway.

• Like 1

Yes, dry her. Tinctures & edibles don't usually require fresh although it might work, most recipes use dry. Don't flash dry it either or it'll taste like hay after you kill the delicate terpenes

• Like 1

@Older not wiser Made a couple of batches of infused oil now, an alcohol based tincture and some concentrated Rick Simpson Oil (RSO).

For infused oil, I dry the plant material first. I was curious about decarbing fresh plant material but it just turned into mush in the oven. I use the mason jar method to infuse the coconut oil (after decarboxylation) but have now purchased a soup maker from Aldi (£35) and will make the next batch of infused oil using that machine.

For the alcohol tincture, I use standard  vodka. Only used fresh plant material for this.

For RSO I use Polish vodka that my local polish supermarket sells under the counter (Spirytus Rectyficowany). I use freshly frozen plant material (no need to dry it), and put the vodka in the freezer for 2 hours prior to making it. I also use the bowl from an old ice cream maker which sits in the freezer overnight. With everything as cold as possible, I wash the plant material in the vodka for 5 minutes then first strain though a muslin cloth and then through a coffee filter. The liquid is then placed in an electric water distiller outside and left to do its thing (about 5 hours). I reuse the vodka. 

• Like 2

I don't know which Nebula you have not if its the boost then it does say not to make tincture in it. The Nebula chef is fine for tincture though. 

I've made coconut oil and tinctures only with dried material, you don't need to cure it though. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, disco survivor said:

@Older not wiser Made a couple of batches of infused oil now, an alcohol based tincture and some concentrated Rick Simpson Oil (RSO).

For infused oil, I dry the plant material first. I was curious about decarbing fresh plant material but it just turned into mush in the oven. I use the mason jar method to infuse the coconut oil (after decarboxylation) but have now purchased a soup maker from Aldi (£35) and will make the next batch of infused oil using that machine.

For the alcohol tincture, I use standard  vodka. Only used fresh plant material for this.

For RSO I use Polish vodka that my local polish supermarket sells under the counter (Spirytus Rectyficowany). I use freshly frozen plant material (no need to dry it), and put the vodka in the freezer for 2 hours prior to making it. I also use the bowl from an old ice cream maker which sits in the freezer overnight. With everything as cold as possible, I wash the plant material in the vodka for 5 minutes then first strain though a muslin cloth and then through a coffee filter. The liquid is then placed in an electric water distiller outside and left to do its thing (about 5 hours). I reuse the vodka. 

I went to my local Polish shop but they don't have that vodka so I used normal vodka and then gently reduced it in my slow cooker. I did dry then decarb that batch and reduced the volume by half after leaving it sit for a month shaking daily. This next batch I am going to try freezing it as you mention. 

I will dry the material before I make the next lot of coconut oil. I still have some left from my last batch so I am not in a rush. 

Thanks for the reply

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KC said:

I don't know which Nebula you have not if its the boost then it does say not to make tincture in it. The Nebula chef is fine for tincture though. 

I've made coconut oil and tinctures only with dried material, you don't need to cure it though. 

I have the Nebula boost but I only decarb for tinctures, I don't make it in it. I will dry this next lot, I just need to be more patient 

TINCTURES: All the benefits of a gentle herb with the rampaging devil of ethanol! :D

Seriously though, if you can't smoke, stick to the coconut oil. Do your liver a favour. :yep:

• Like 1