Help please , Fans & Sata

OldFord

Hi guys  ,  i could do with a few pointers if poss on 2 particular products if anyones able please :yep:

I spoke with OverClockers regarding fans & hub controller ,  i was very specific with requirements ....i appear to have had an answer but im not tech minded enough to get the final answers i need.

I wish to purchase fans ,  prob 8 of and a controller ,  fans need to be pretty potent , dont want flashy lights !    

Just reliable fans to shift air and pref 12v.   Fans will be in use for 8 to 10 hrs at a time and mist likely only 2 days a week.

OverClockers came back with what they say is reputable industrial kit and i like the specs & price 

Its the Sata controller im unsure of and where i need the assist :yep:

Fans -   Noctua  NF - F12    x   8 of   =  seem ideal for my needs.

Controller Hub  -   XSPC  8 way PWM splitter hub  Sata powered  V2   -   Here lies the question !!! 

The power cable seems to be a 4 pin plug ??     I will be feeding it 12v via a relay / fused and switch  -  2 wires  ...... so i dont damage it ..... how does it wire up ????  

Is it twin 12v input ?     12v and triggers ?    12v + 5v for the RGB side of things ?   

I cant seem to find a wiring schematic and really need to pull the trigger on a purchase quick smart.  

My go to fans ,  Stinger cross radials i cant get in time with the quanitiy i wish to use.   

Any help would be fantastic folks.      Thanks in advance folks.  

@OldFord why dont you just use a sata ac adapter?

I belive the 4 pin you refer to is a molex plug and is the old style connector beofre sata was a thing

this is a molex but you can get a molex to sata converyer

Edited by lildaveham
Please don’t post links to Amazon
  • Like 1

PWM controllers are usually 12v / 5v / neg and 1 channel for the PWM itself.
If the controller is Pulse Width Modulation then disabling the PWM channel will change the way the controller works so that it won't regulate between 2 variables but can still be manually set.
So the controller will just become a manual dial to adjust fan output.

SATA means it should be connected to a motherboard using the same cable that the hard disks use for power. They supply 3.3v / 5v / 12v and common so can be stripped back to bare wire and connected to a suitable adapter if they are for use outside of a pc.

I did wire a controller up once and assumed it would use a 12v feed but it blew up when I connected it. Just make sure you know what voltage the controller uses rather than guessing ;)

• Like 1

On 04/10/2023 at 10:01 AM, sweettooth said:

@OldFord why dont you just use a sata ac adapter?

I belive the 4 pin you refer to is a molex plug and is the old style connector beofre sata was a thing

this is a molex but you can get a molex to sata converyer

Cheers nate ,  kind of out my depth and had to google what you just said lol   

I got to the bottom of it ,  its 1 12v pos ,  1  12v neg   ,    1 5v pos & neg for rgb control ,   i was kindly snet schematics.   :yep:

Thanks kindly for the info sir ,  much appreciated

On 04/10/2023 at 0:51 PM, Shumroom said:

I can’t answer your query :) 

Is this for cooling the power supply/amps?

Atb

:yinyang:

Yeah mate  :yep:       Push & pull system to aid airflow and assist cooling for the  amp racks & the lithium banks :yep:

• Like 1

On 04/10/2023 at 2:15 PM, v12xjs said:

PWM controllers are usually 12v / 5v / neg and 1 channel for the PWM itself.
If the controller is Pulse Width Modulation then disabling the PWM channel will change the way the controller works so that it won't regulate between 2 variables but can still be manually set.
So the controller will just become a manual dial to adjust fan output.

SATA means it should be connected to a motherboard using the same cable that the hard disks use for power. They supply 3.3v / 5v / 12v and common so can be stripped back to bare wire and connected to a suitable adapter if they are for use outside of a pc.

I did wire a controller up once and assumed it would use a 12v feed but it blew up when I connected it. Just make sure you know what voltage the controller uses rather than guessing ;)

Cheers mate ,    im out my depth  , so i wnet staright to the manufacturer and posed my case   ,   it would appear i can directly feed it 12v ,  so  i can just simply switch it on & off via the button and control the 8 fans now :yep:

I actually checked with the manufacturer and OverClockers ,   just to be sure as its not my thing.   

Ordinarily i would run my trusrty stinger rotaries but struggling to ge the quantities i need so  i have placed the order for  16 fans & 2 controllers.   

Im also ripping the aircon feeds out the van to amend them and pipe some cold air towards the intakes :yep:

Its pretty much all bought now and just some silly bit & pieces that i can buy as i get nearer the point of fitting.   

Thank you kindly mate

• Like 1