Canna related ceramics

Rustybiff

Hi guys, just to start this is not a plug or advertisement of any kind.. need a hand with ideas

I'm a potter and thinking of starting a side project making hand crafted, rugged objects born from the fire such as ash trays, rolling trays etc for cannabis enthusiasts and connoisseurs.

I already make pots, however I don't want to put myself out there as a cannabis enthusiast (not to randoms anyway)..

I feel there is such a lack of authentic cannabis paraphernalia in this country, just tacky acrylic shit on most online headshops. I for one don't want a £5 ash tray with bob marleys face in it and the rasta colours. I fucking love bob marley, why would I want to ash on his face?

Any time I do find something handmade that's nice it's way beyond affordability,  so I want to avoid this too. The pursuit of money this year has made me more unhappy than I've ever been. Gotta do things for the right reasons.

So, that's where I need a hand. Ash trays, rolling trays, etc... @twigs I noticed you have a nice little bowl for tapping your grinder out into... that kind of thing. I can't think of much else lol not sure that stash jars would work for retaining freshness, they'd have to have a rubber seal. Tricky but possible?

Fire away if anyone has any suggestions, my pots are all thrown on a wheel, so this is a limiting factor for now, can't make pipes and that sort of thing.

Even if you have no suggestions, please let me know if you share the same feelings!

Cheers lads n lasses :)

• Like 8

Love the idea of some more subtle canna related ceramics. Like you say ashtrays are a no brainer, maybe you could also make those mugs that double as a pipe for novelty value. What about having a matching ash tray and coffee mug/saucer set for that first smoke of the day. Dunno if you've seen those glass roaches but I bet they could be made out of glazed ceramic as well. Bongs and pipes could work, maybe with a metal/borosilicate glass bowl if heat is an issue. Stash jars, maybe not for long term storage but one to sit on the coffee table along with a matching ashtray etc. 

I think Seth Rogan does a lot of high end ceramic work, smoking accessories included, could be a good source  of inspiration. 

E2A as for pricing, don't sell yourself short, you've got materials, costs of running the crafting area/kiln etc before you've even factored in a living wage. If you have a skill other people lack don't be afraid to charge for it, make the best end product you possibly can and charge whatever you have to make it worthwhile. 

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 1

There’s a page on instagram called jonaschillum he makes some interesting pieces that may interest. 

Edited by Arthur Mix
  • Like 2

+1 for some chillums. Some ceramic stash jars with a cork. Joint holder rings for gaming. Dabbers. Weed themed plates for infused food or straight munch. 

• Like 3

They are all great ideas, thanks everyone for chiming in, wasn't expecting so many responses!

That chillim maker is very skilled @Arthur Mix, they're beautiful! I've got some scratching up to do.. having only watched Frenchy smoke a chillum, do you have to use tobacco with hash, or can you use straight cannabis instead? Would be up for having a go 

Stash jars are definitely on the cards then, I like the idea of a cork stopper @Vicfirth12, a thumb ring joint holder would be cool, hmm... 

@Shumroom that is a bloody fantastic idea, we actually have a raku kiln somewhere and I've been dying to have a go, gonna keep that in mind ;) could work well on plates as vic says

@MindSoup plenty of ideas there thanks very much, pipe mug would definitely be a good technical challenge :). Now that you mention it I think it was actually Seth that made me think about it in the first place, in a video where he talked about making a life for himself that combined his passions... as far as the money goes I'm fortunate enough to be able to do all of the throwing and firing at home so I don't have to factor in a studio cost, but yeah it's definitely not good going too cheap either

Edited by Rustybiff
  • Like 1

@Rustybiff you can use tobacco after a quick roast of it. You can also use flowers or any other alternative. With Chillums I prefer the longer stone inside makes it a bit cooler imho. I think a chalice type would be popular within certain communities. :oldtoker:

• Like 1

I never went for the ornate chillums, waste of time and money imo.  I'd always opt for the cheap smooth clay type with a long stone over anything expensive or exotic looking. :yep:   And no, fuck tobacco in a chillum, just weed or weed mixed with hash, etc. 

• Like 2

everyone seems to be using resin these days for some reason or other, make a mould, pure resin, polish and sell? you could pure over led lights and make some hanging arty light for cozy smoking sessions etc 

can you get a lathe and make some bowls perhaps?

when i do stuff like that i just use old shit and glue/screw it together, chuck a lamp/led on it and ta-da! a £500 light! lol 

it’s old trick these days though after everything went ‘pallet tat’ and scaff board crazy for ‘glamping’ tossers - i think that trends getting gazed out now though lol 

and don’t send yourself mad thinking too much about inventing somthing new.. just copy somthing you seen and like and make it better/different lol (seems to be the trick to life!)

:yinyang:

• Like 1

A UK420 Design ashtray would be cool. Just a round ashtray but with the logo on the bottom, possibly in relief, I don't know if that's the correct term...

I love to watch skilled artisans at work, folks making stuff from the earth it's quite heartening.

Also me and the missus are big Throwdown fans...:hippy:

• Like 1

Some vape ideas to add to the collection ..

AVB or duff jars - to dump your already vaped bud 

Vape stands - Qaromashop make theirs with suet jade, I believe. I see a lot of people cutting slits in mugs or repurposing pub or pipe ashtrays to use as DiY stands.

The Vapbong is a vape and waterpiece all in one that you could use for inspiration (Jaxelsart)

The Vapbong people make a nice matching filling tool for each vape too 

Water pipes

Handles (for bowls, pokey sticks, dab tools ..)

Carb caps 

@Arthur Mix @Saddam thanks for the info, gonna have to do some research now.. I wrote them off when I thought you needed tobacco, get the thinking hat on I reckon. If you have a pic of one of those smooth clay/long stone ones that would be really handy :) sounds up my street

@twigs hahah I am so pissed off about current trends making stuff like that expensive, everything good gets nabbed up! 

Gonna just be ceramics for now but I'll probs do other things in the future so who knows.. I do like the look of dark amber resin, crazy material :)

That would be cool @Arbre Medicinal, I think I know what you mean :) maybe even sgraffito into slip could work.. Pottery Throwdown is a winner, just around the corner really :D

@Hippie on hill cheers man that's a good amount to consider. I like the abv jar idea, I actually have one for that purpose, golf ball size with a little lid :)

• Like 2