Vpn’s

mikeydoughnut

I tried the search bar but nowt came up. Been thinking about getting one so I can shake the CIA off. The two obvious ones I’ve heard of Nord and SurfShark, but I don’t know what’s what. I want one that’ll do what it says it’ll do and not interfere with how I use the internet/apps. I only use iPad and iPhone, basically fisher-price tech so doesn’t have to be owt spectacular.

You probably don't need one mate. If the CIA were really interested in you the VPN would make fuck all difference. No one really cares if your growing weed unless you make it obvious.

If you have an ISP that sends out warnings for downloading torrents etc, they are handy, otherwise not necessary.

All a VPN does is shift the ability to spy on your traffic from your ISP to some shady company in America.

Ive had this conversation with so many people. It proves all the advertising they do works!!

That said. PIA is the one i've used in the past(to access thing with a US IP address), it was cheap enough, easy to use and reliable. Id imagine any of the big names will work just as well as each other.

Edited by Strawberry Fields
  • Like 1

Yeah I’m not worried about growing weed. It’s like doing the washing up or summat. A household chore. Never felt like I’m doing owt wrong. Probably because I’m not :)  I was just being daft regards the intelligence community.

It’s for a bit of peace mind and for watching stuff not available because of geography. So they don’t hide your location or protect you online is what you’re saying? 

Edited by mikeydoughnut
  • Like 1

Just now, mikeydoughnut said:

Yeah I’m not worried about growing weed. It’s like doing the washing up or summat. A household chore. Never felt like I’m doing owt wrong. Probably because I’m not :)  I was just being daft regards the intelligence community.

It’s for a bit of peace mind and for watching stuff not available because of geography. So they don’t hide your location or protect you online is what you’re saying? 

All they do is put another server between you and whatever you are accessing and encrypt that traffic. So yes they do hide your location (from the thing you are accessing) and protect you (from your ISP spying on you).

In the UK hardly any ISP's send out notices for downloading illegal content. The ones that do, do it sporadically, under duress from content owners. You always get a warning first.

If you haven't had one of those warnings, its just throwing money down the drain.

• Like 2

@mikeydoughnut

if you want anonymity then get yourself a usb stick and create a bootable kali or tails Linux distribution, comes with vpn, tor, proxy chains, you can have it remember your passwords and settings and boot to it wherever without leaving crumbs on shared/other devices

@sweettooth I can use this forum, turn a tele over and spell 80085 on a calculator. After that it’s all black magic to me. 

Sounds more n more like a pile of shit then. I’ll leave it innit …

• Like 1

NordVPN is the fastest, I couldn't imagine life without it now, It stops dodgy popups from happening when watching sports for free and load of other handy things, It also lets my phone access this site while on mobile network as without if my provider blocks this site.

It can also improve your bandwidth when gaming as your ISP by law can't restrict it if it can't be identified.

Two things i have found that conflict is playing Fifa on PC,, i have to disable it or the game won't go past the splash screen, Just eats sometimes wan't you to turn it off, and the BBC sites sometimes you have to turn it off and back on again which only take 2 seconds so the site don't know you're using a VPN.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Military Grade said:

It stops dodgy popups from happening when watching sports for free

That could be the deal breaker :) 

• Like 2

I have ExpressVPN because without it we wouldn't be able to watch any tv from the U.K.

I'm currently using it to watch the Rugby World Cup, I can access all the games for free without having to use ITV's supershit streaming service.

The Welsh games I watch on S4C via the iPlayer, I'm also using RTE 1 & 2 in Ireland for Irish games and four different channels in France for everything else. I've also used it to watch live NFL from Germany and for the soccer World Cup last year for which I mainly used Swiss channels.

Plus I can also watch regular tv shows on these channels, it's not all about sport.

• Like 1

Just now, GSZZ said:

I use protonVPN :yep: comes with protonmail too which is super private etc. 

Protonmail had a case not long ago where they handed a users (a climate activist) data over to law enforcement. This is after promoting themselves as a company where data "cannot be shared with third parties".

Anyone with privacy concerns using their services  should stop using it.

• Like 1