Police 'changed story' after claiming to smell cannabis through closed window

Simple Jack

Police 'changed story' after claiming to smell cannabis through closed window, says Fuse ODG

Police have been accused of changing their story after claiming to have smelt cannabis through a closed car window before pulling a man from the vehicle and handcuffing him.

Musician Fuse ODG and his manager Andre Hackett were spotted sitting in the car by officers in Brixton at the end of February.

The pair claim they were racially profiled by four officers whose story didn't add up and kept being altered as they asked police to justify their actions.

"When they banged on the window they said straight away 'get out'," Fuse ODG told ITV News London.

"Then he opened the door and I said 'what are you doing?'. He was grabbing me and his colleague joined in from the back and held me from my neck.

"He pulled me out and handcuffed me forcefully and no communication. No communication and I said 'don't close the door'," Fuse ODG explained.

The London-born Afrobeat artist asked a woman who was walking past to film what was happening while he asked for police not to shut the van door.

"We have seen so many things happen in the past and you don't know what could potentially happen behind closed doors," Fuse ODG said.

He added: "I asked why we were stopped. And they said it was because they could smell cannabis in the air.

"Then I asked why the police stopped - because we were stationary. Then he changed the story and said there was an undercover officer walking past and saw drugs in the door handle of the car - but the doors were closed!

"So now he is changing his story.

"I asked how did he smell cannabis when the window was up?"

Fuse ODG shared footage of the incident on Instagram where he revealed he spent six hours in A&E because the handcuffs were clamped around his wrist so tightly.

The pair believed police saw what they thought were two black criminals who potentially had drugs on them.

"It's a very dangerous world view of us as a people and that to me re-affirms everything we are working on," Fuse ODG said.

The case is being looked at by officers from the Directorate of Professional Standard and the Met has referred itself to the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC).

In a statement the IOPC said: "We are aware of a video showing part of an incident on 28 February in Brighton Terrace, Brixton in which a man in a vehicle was stopped and searched for drugs.

"A public complaint has been received and this has been assessed by officers from the Met’s Directorate of Professional Standards. A voluntary referral has been made on 19 May to the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC).

"Since the circumstances of this incident are subject to an ongoing public complaint it is inappropriate for us to provide further information. We will remain in contact with the complainant during this process."

Andre said the police's story appeared to be full of holes - unless the officers had the power of X-ray vision.

He said: "There is a prevailing world view that black people are seen as detractors of society rather than builders of it.

"It is pervasive through the whole of society - that view in our schools and politics and hospitals and workplace that creates a hostile environment for us as black people.

"100% what we experienced was racial profiling.

"When I questioned him on the reason he was stopping us it didn't stack up. How can you see something through a door? Unless you have X-ray vision it's not possible."

https://www.itv.com/news/london/2023-05-23/police-changed-story-after-claiming-to-smell-cannabis-through-closed-window

• Like 3

I've heard this same old crap for 60yrs now (minus 15-20yrs for youth) and not a fucking thing has changed, and its fucking depressing .............................. :(

• Like 6

I reckon in another 60 years, this sort of thing will still happen in the UK which is stuck in a 1950's anti weed time warp. 

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Military Grade said:

While Royal Mail is racist they sure don't mind delivering the weed lol

Not from my experience, and DPD is cheaper too.. :yep: 

• Like 2

They been delivering my weed for last 6(2017) years no problem, and DPD too

I've found RM is on average £1 cheaper than DPD from the places I source from, that's about 10 different places.

DPD know what they are delivering but RM probably non the wiser or just turning a blind eye lol

Edited by Military Grade
  • Like 2

Wish I knew how to get decent stuff delivered, tried once and ended up with crap.

• Like 1

On 28/05/2023 at 2:07 PM, Simple Jack said:

"I asked how did he smell cannabis when the window was up?"

I can smell mine through walls, never mind an unsealed vehicle.

They use pigs for hunting truffles, I can't smell them...so maybe pigs can smell weed through a closed window. :unsure::skin_up:

• Like 2

Good old TSG (formerly SPG) - proudly terrorising communities for over 60 years!

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Boojum said:

The Young Ones' psycho hamster was called SPG lol

I think special patrol group is a stupid name for a hamster! RIP Rik :P 

• Like 1