Medical Cannabis and Driving

MindSoup

43 minutes ago, Boojum said:

I'm pretty sure the law is that with prescription drugs you can be charged for driving under the influence if either your driving is impaired (ie you fail a 'field impairment assessment'), regardless of the amount in your system, or you have more in your system than the amount on your prescription, regardless of whether or not you fail a 'field impairment assessment'.

E2A That's the impression I get from the .gov webshite, but it's not very well worded on there (shock, horror, surely not :rolleyes: ).

The crux being that the legal amount allowed in your blood is so minute that even a few puffs would fail. 

I just can’t believe they passed the law allowing prescriptions for cannabis but yet don’t change the laws associated with other aspects such as driving. It must be something hard to police though, different amounts of THC per plant, persons own tolerance to it so there can’t be a set limit. 

Thing for me is I know you can still be arrested if you failed their drug swab so I’m more sensible with my driving, don’t speed too much and just generally have a chilled drive. 

• Like 3

Yup, current rules don't give any incentive to regular users to try and be under the limit as anyone who reads up realises that they'll be over the limit most of the time even if they never drive impaired. Best bet is to check your bulbs, tyres and all fees and docs are up to speed and drive well chilled at all times

• Like 4

On 20/05/2023 at 0:06 PM, Diddy said:

I honestly think a sobriety test should precede ANY other type of test.Only taking the other test if the sobriety test is failed.

This a million times, unfortunately though it’s called using common sense

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, grower951 said:

This a million times, unfortunately though it’s called using common sense

Which is not as common as one would expect... Indeed!

• Like 1

i have a letter from my chief of police that admits i am allowed to drive whikst using cannabis as long as i dont feel impaired, and it is taken in accordance with the prescription. different prescriptions say different things. mine says something odd about feeling sleepy the next day, go figure.

however the c o p also admits that if i swab above the ridiculously low limit, i will have to have a pace interview at the nick to prove my innocence since the evidence they will need goes beyond what can be accepted by the roadside without pace, probably.

there are, of course, lots of horror stories about poeple going to court, but oddly it never gets reported when they get off.

• Like 2

Ok cool, so it's worth me persuing a script at some point then, how did you manage to wangle that letter from the COP? 

• Like 2

i just wrote hima letter explaining my prescription, the legal situation and asking whether his officers were up to speed.

he heavily hinted that on the street, with prescriptio tub, photo id and letter, plod should wave me on, but due to potential severity  in case of driving, it would have to be at the station.

• Like 1