smuggling cannabis on LA-London flights

Punk

Three US nationals have been convicted after being caught attempting to smuggle large quantities of cannabis into the UK through Heathrow airport.

WALTERS SILOWKA MALONE banner

From left to right: Barrington Walters, Mandy Silowka and Kiara Lanee Malone

National Crime Agency investigators say the trio, who all arrived in the UK on flights from Los Angeles in January, were arrested in possession of cannabis with a combined estimated street value of more than £1.7 million.

Barrington Walters, 24, from Los Angeles, and Mandy Silowka, 34, from Princeton, New Jersey, were both stopped after arriving on the same United Airlines flight from LA on 17 January.

Border Force officers found 33 kilos of herbal cannabis in bags belonging to Walters, and a further 26.5 kilos in suitcases checked in by Silowka.

After being interviewed by NCA officers the pair were charged with importing class B drugs.

At Isleworth Crown Court on Thursday 23 February they both admitted the offence. Silowka received a 12 month custodial sentence, while Walters was given a 10 month jail term.

Meanwhile in a hearing at the same court today (24 February) Kiara Lanee Malone, 31, from St Louis, Missouri, pleaded guilty to importing class B drugs.

The clothing boutique owner was arrested on 10 January, also having arrived from Los Angeles. 27.5 kilos of cannabis was found in her luggage.

Malone told NCA officers that she was travelling to the UK to have cosmetic procedures, and while she had been given the bags to bring to the UK by someone else, she believed they contained clothes rather than drugs.

She was remanded in custody to be sentenced on 5 April.

NCA Heathrow Branch Commander Andy Noyes said:

“These cases serve as further warnings to those who think they can get away with smuggling drugs into the UK.

“No matter what you might get told by those organising these trips, you will get caught, and as these individuals will tell you, you will face jail time.

“The NCA and our partners in Border Force are determined to do all we can to target drugs couriers, and disrupt the international organised crime groups involved in drug trafficking.”

The convictions follow a spate of arrests involving seizures made from flights from the US. Cannabis grown legally in parts of America attracts a premium price in the UK.

On Wednesday 22 February 20-year-old US national Isabella Carrasco was arrested following a large cannabis seizure at Edinburgh airport. She had arrived on a flight from LA, via London.

Carrasco has been charged and committed to appear before Edinburgh Sheriff Court next week. The case is being investigated by the Organised Crime Partnership (Scotland), a joint team of NCA and Police Scotland officers.

24 February 2023

https://nationalcrimeagency.gov.uk/news/three-more-americans-convicted-in-the-uk-for-smuggling-cannabis-on-la-london-flights

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mikeydoughnut said:

Carrying 10k? Piggin hell. How much made it t’ destination 

None...:wassnnme:

• Like 1

Just a simple bit of working stuff out in my head (I admit I'm shit at maths lol ) between them Walters and Silowka allegedly had 59.5 kilos (about 9 stone, or just over the average weight of a 15 year old boy). That's equivalent to 59.5 bags of sugar. Herbal cannabis weighs a lost less than sugar by volume, probably less than half but even if it's only half that means they would heve to have been carrying the equivalent volume of almost 120 bags of sugar (probably more like double that). Going by weight it's feasable but going by volume all I can say is they must have had some big fucking suitcases :thisbig:

:nea:

Edited by Boojum
  • Like 4

This is this same story we were on about weeks ago ? Only way they got that much in a suitcase is if my misses fucking packed it lol

• Like 7

The real crime is prohibiting grown adults from partaking. Like it’s forever 1971. Cunts 

• Like 4

Maybe they was on all board as a distraction and someone else managed to get a few keys of charlie over on the next flight. 

lol who am I kidding. Let’s be honest a lot of dealers aren’t exactly the smartest of people. 

Guest anarchycamp

Maybe tighter border controls incoming?

It's literally the same story as previous, weren't they all Brits though?

It's a story to pretend they catch smugglers in general, they catch next to fuck all i bet because the majority is probably palleted in and "paid for" lol

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Punk said:

NCA Heathrow Branch Commander Andy Noyes said:

“These cases serve as further warnings to those who think they can get away with smuggling drugs into the UK.

“No matter what you might get told by those organising these trips, you will get caught, and as these individuals will tell you, you will face jail time.

Cannabis has been smuggled into UK for over fifty years. Some gets intercepted, most of it doesn't. Some smugglers get, caught most don't.  Some cannabis users/growers get busted. The majority don't.

The war on drugs is an unending series of "victories". The demand for cannabis is inelastic; the refusal to deal with that economic fact is a recipe for social disaster.

• Like 1

The sentencing seems quite light (compared to the recommendations in the sentencing guidelines)...if I were in their network it would be squeaky bum time..

• Like 2

Billy there is no way they had that much mate. You CANT even book that much on any flight I have ever been on even the so-called long haul flights. The numbers don't make any sense at all. You can't even pre-book that weight. That sort of weight travels under the freight and gets loaded and collected separately from passengers. You don't get to wheel 30kg's each through the green channel lol

Now is it poor reporting or were there more of them with a more realistic 20kg each(even that would take balls). So how did they manage to even board with suitcases over the common limit. I think a couple of airlines allow 25kg but most are 20kg max.

I agree with your thoughts with regard to sentences though, which is why I think there is more to this story than meets the eye. Either there are more of them or they are in the middle of trapping a bigger fish for something maybe not even related to this.

• Like 4

Why? If there is demand for well grown cannabis, why not just smuggle in the clones and grow it here.

A lightbulb in California is no different than a lightbulb in the UK. 

• Like 2