Acoustic Neuroma

mystic_roots

Wondering if anyone could potentially offer advice on this topic. My mum was diagnosed as having a benign brain tumor and the only reason we know this is because she was loosing her hearing and they performed a MRI scan amongst other tests.

She's got to have the operation but she's just had a letter with the % of risk and possible outcomes which can result in her loosing control of her left side of the face and not even being able to close her eyelid (probability is 1 in 5). Needless to say she's upset and I'm wondering if cannabis could potentially help in shrinking the tumor? If it was smaller she may have had radiotherapy and that could have worked but she's got another scan in March to see if it's grown or not. I've tried before but she won't take cannabis, I'm hoping if there's solid advice/evidence it would change her mind. 

Open to other suggestions too

https://www.thebraintumourcharity.org/brain-tumour-diagnosis-treatment/treating-brain-tumours/emerging-treatments/cannabis-derivatives/

What is the evidence for cannabis-based products in the treatment of brain tumours? 

Treating brain tumours

Currently, the evidence that cannabis-based products can treat brain tumours or brain cancer is limited.

Preliminary studies from the lab suggest that cannabinoid chemicals THC and CBD can stop glioblastoma (GBM) cells from growing, causing them to die and disrupting the blood supply to the tumour cells.

In 2021, an early-stage trial led by Professor Susan Short suggested that adding a specific blend of these chemicals – in the form of a drug called Sativex – to chemotherapy could potentially help treat recurrent GBMs more effectively.

• Like 1

So sorry to hear about mum sir.      Never easy dealing with a sick loved one let alone your mum.      

I cant speak for your mums condition and know nothing of it sorry ,  i can offer advice from a medicinal user for throat cancer  , treating pain relief &  If at all possible target treating the cancer itself.

I have been using a mixed batch of MCT ,  dose as required from mild to wild in respect of pain  /  discomfort  ,    i find im able to keep the pains  both dull and sharp at bay for lengthy periods and still be happily functional without obvious signs of being well oiled.       WAY better than i was on Morphine ... totally ruined me !

I also found the use of CBD to be very effective with swelling in particular  , worked well in reducing the swelling around the neck.   

No probs if you want a bit more in depth insight on PM 

I wish you & mum all the very best in finding a system that works for her  

Edited by OldFord
  • Like 5

One thing is for sure, it definitely couldn't do any harm. She certainly wouldn't be the first person with a brain tumour to find cannabis to be effective. The key is getting up to a high enough dose, ideally she needs as broad a spectrum of cannabinoids in as high a concentration as possible.

But be careful, this thread is the perfect example of how risky it can be to buy "medicine" on the black market. The only way to be sure it's clean and up to the task is to make it yourself. 

All the best to your Mum, I hope she finds an effective treatment one way or another, my FIL is battling cancer at the moment and we've just started him on infused MCT (coconut  oil) with the plan to move onto RSO as his tolerance builds, its only been a few days but it already seems to be making a difference. 

• Like 4

Im assuming with mum not being keen , that she is normally a non user ?      

If so then please  BE OPEN & HONEST with her about the effects of treating by means of THC / CBD  ,    im an experienced user, time served but the last decade i have used very little , 1 or 2 single  smokes a month  ,  i found the levels i was taking at the start to be very uncomfortable !!   Some days it was heavy duty and it was off putting to say the least. 

I knew it wasnt going to hurt me ,  just that it was a bit of a bumpy ride ,  now im accustomed to it and can happily go about ones day , converse with others and not come across as off ones face.    

So please just be on the level with mum.     

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies. No she’s never had it before and I have offered before for other times as a pain killer and she won’t even try 1 puff. 

Perhaps something to do with her upbringing or maybe something in the past but she doesn’t seem interested despite it could potentially help. 
I’ll bring it up at some point, I think she needs some time to digest everything and then see how she feels about it

• Like 1

I wish you both the very best in finding some pain management system that works for mum :yep:   

Whether it be with prescribed or our medicine you  will find a system :yep:

All the best sir.  

Edited by OldFord

Sorry to hear about your Mum's diagnosis dude.

Perhaps she might try it in capsule form rather than smoking it, start off with microdosing and gradually build up her tolerance possibly?