Tincture or Glycerine extraction?

MindSoup

Hello chums 

Pretty sure I already started a thread a while ago but whatever. 

The FIL is battling a clear cell carcinoma in his kidney (and possibly liver) and he's really struggling bless him. He's agreed to try cannabis to help with the pain and appetite (I'll try and get him on the RSO but this is a foot in the door at least).

He really doesn't want any more pills, and struggles to eat anything, so I initially thought about tincture. My worry is that the ethanol might not be particularly great especially considering the kidney and liver, can anyone tell me yay or nay on that one? 

If not I was thinking maybe a glycerin (or was it glycerol) extraction might be a better option, I was just trying to have a look on graywolfslair but its down for the time being apparently. If anyone has a link to a good guide that would be free keen to get the ball rolling. 

You can access Graywolfslair.com through the way back machine. 

Looks like the glycerin extract is there without pics, I'll try and send you a link

:oldtoker:

• Like 1

I've messed around with glycerine but not for years , iirc it never really did much on a recreational front but my god did it stink of pot.

I agree with shumroom and reckon the coconut/MCT avenue is probably the most beneficial (it's straight forward and pretty clean too in comparison)

:yinyang:

• Like 2

As said, forget glycerine. It's rubbish. Best stay away from all solvents. Make the best coconut oil and add this to food/toast. Thyme is a great appetite enhancer, chicken thyme & garlic. Mmmm

• Like 2

Ok so maybe not the glycerol thing. 

Is there anything else I could make that he could add to a drink and dose a bit easier than coconut oil? He's really not eating well so to start with something as easy and simple to dose and consume would be best. 

He does have those meal replacement shakes, maybe the MCT could mix into those? 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MindSoup said:

maybe the MCT could mix into those? 

It would be far easier to mix than coconut oil. Olive oil is the other option.

• Like 1

Just for clarity @MindSoup

MCT(coconut oil) is a liquid at room temperature,

it's just the name for,

medium chain triglycerides that have been extracted(probably a fractional distillation) from regular coconut oil which is solid at room temperature.

So MCT(coconut oil) is sold by the bottle,

as opposed to regular coconut oil that's in jars.

Hopefully you can help provide him with some sort of relief or help with appetite etc :v:

You can decarboxilate some cannabis before sticking in a sous vide/Magical Butter Machine or similar,

Or stir some rosin into it until dissolved.

Atb

:yinyang:

• Like 1

lol

Yeah I was pretty dabbed up last night lol

I've got 500ml of MCT, and a potato ricer on the way. I'm going to make it the way I made my grape seed oil. In a mason jar in a water/oil bath (slow cooker) and then decarb the oil in the oven after the extraction like graywolfs guide says. 

Apparently decarbing first actually makes it harder to extract the resin because it all melts or something.  

Think it's about an ounce to 250ml or there abouts, going to do 50:50 CBD: THC.  

E2A, now what about dosage? I would use myself as a guinea pig but I'm twice his size and my tolerance is pretty high. What would be a good starting point for a 5.5 foot guy who's already lost a lot of weight? I guess just start extremely low and titrate the dose up from there. I've got some old pump bottles kicking about from when I used to buy CBD oil so dosing should actually be quite simple. 

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 2

I find my slow cooker on low is exactly 120C, perfect for an oil decarb, you can even see when it's done when the bubbles stop.

• Like 1

Mines not quite that warm I don't think. I'll get the meat probe out and check tonight though because if I could run the extraction on the low setting and then just turn it up to high to decarb we could be onto a proper winner. 

Edited by MindSoup

Depending on volume, it can take hours to get to 120, but worth the wait. Very precise way to decarb, although I only do this with sift and cocoa butter, probably gets a bit messy using bud..