AVB - Spiced Chai Latte

zeroG

I have a kilo and and a half of AVB in an old Sainsbury's shopping bag, i keep it cause i know you can do stuff with it, and i have a hoarding issue lol

Im going to make a version of Chai masala latte, to try and use some of it up...Im looking for some direction, on top oif my own plan, so tips, tricks, hacks whatever are welcome - so if you know owt, pitch in and share the knowledge.

My plan; (this is the 'control' sample by the way).

1L full jersey cream milk - high fat content to bind the thc to, i may add some ghee, which is traditional in some regions to add to the chai as well, but that may make it too fatty. Like i said, this is the control.

Im using a chai tea bag that i bought in Sainsburys, its just the strong black tea and the spice infusion which is usually; Ginger, green cardamom, cinnamon, Cloves. I will be adding black pepper, tumeric and maybe vanilla sugar, but definately lots of sugar cause it is a latte, not a brew, and it should be super sweet, like Arabic mint tea/Turkish coffee.

Im going for 5gms of AVB for the 1L Jersey Milk, and im going to use a slow cooker to steep it for 8 hours, adding the tea bag for the last 30 minutes so the tea wont kill elephants at 100yds

4 x 250ml bottles of said Chai latte cooled and ready to use. I may even freeze a couple of them. The plan is to eventually concentrate this mix down to yakult sized 'doses' ...

Thoughts anyone?

• Like 1

It sounds interesting but ABV herb is - in my experience - very strong and bad tasting.  I would tend to soak the ABV in warm water for an hour or two, chuck the water and repeat a couple of times before making the infusion, see if you can get some of the grossness out of it.

Just an idea as I last made an extraction from it, but it tasted so bad that in the end I abandoned it.  I've heard others have managed to wash the hard toasted flavour out of it with water though, so that would be my route :)

I'm partially commenting as I will be interested to see how this turns out!

• Like 1

Id get some gelatine capsules. Take about 10. Brew and enjoy the tea.

All the same effects, less work and the tea won't taste rank. :yep:

Edited by trees
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Hashslag said:

Surely the amount of spices and sugar etc would adequately mask the AVB taste?

In my experience, almost nothing will mask the taste. Maybe something roasted to the point of near burning like a strong espresso ?

Edited by MidgeSmith
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Hashslag said:

Surely the amount of spices and sugar etc would adequately mask the AVB taste?

I've tried all sorts with it and had the same results as @MidgeSmith  . Nothing masks the taste. I bin 99.9% of my AVB these days. Maybe 2 days per year I'll fancy that 'dont want to move off the couch at all tonight' feeling and have some caps.

That said I read a while back that there are undertasters, normal tasters and super tasters, so your results may vary. Some people I know do seem to be able to tolerate it more than me.

Edited by trees
  • Like 2

Thanks for the thoughts guys. The best route I’ve seen seems to be just sprinkling it in muesli…most folk don’t seem to complain about the taste in that scenario…I’m an anaphylactic coeliac so cereals make me nervous generally. I also have a lactose intolerance as well, but only when I’ve been wheat/gluten poisoned…

…back to the taste. I already know that it’s likely to be grim, but it is just an experiment so I can say I’ve done something before I bin a kilo + of usable weed lol. It’s obviously quite popular stuff cause I see loads of folks begging for it on other sites, I just bag and tag it lol

i was more after a strength guide to be fair, but realising that all weed is different, that’s a futile idea…

We will see…

Edited by zeroG
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, zeroG said:

i was more after a strength guide to be fair, but realising that all weed is different, that’s a futile idea

if it’s any help i’d chuck at least 10g in if not more as it’s already used 

its only weed, if it’s too much for you, it wont kill you

just make you sleepy lol 

• Like 2

Crap! am I the only one here that likes the taste of AVB in milk with sugar, I find it sort of nutty and very moreish. When I was recovering from my surgery this was my go-to to help me sleep at night.  Brilliant medicine.

Not too sure about the dosage as I didn't weigh it but I am using 2-3 heaped tablespoons of AVB in a single cup of milk so 5g in a litre sounds like way too little. I am also unsure if you need to steep it for that long, I make mine by the cup real quick in the microwave and it only takes a few minutes.

Best of luck

• Like 3

So folks, I've made a few observations... @green_machineyes, moreish. Toasted, rich, nutty, quite delicious...almost rice puddingy?'  :) - But in smaller doses, which was the initial thought in the first post. Yakult sized doses ^^ to paraphrase myself lol

This is what I did, and it really does work. I also made notes to myself to ensure this first recipe, which can only get better, is a perfect benchmark starter :)

@twigsSoaked 10g of AVB for 36 hours ^^ (decided on 10g b4 your post, but 'great minds...' and all that), changed the water thrice. First wash brought all the carbonisation out, water was black from the toasted weed. 2nd wash was clear, surprisingly, but it stank of stale vaped weed, not unpleasant, but you know -  soaked 12 hours, changed water for final time and water crystal clear, i even drank some and it was sweet, and not tainted in any capacity. This was the point that i knew it would work in some capacity, and at least not be terrible lol Soak the AVB, whatever you're doing with it, this is essential!!! @MidgeSmith ^^, good shout feller (felleress?) :)

12 hours on high in the slow cooker with 1L of full 'phat' dairy Jersey gold top - 10% saturated fat lol Colour hasn't changed much as there's probably no pigment left,  but it did go a creamy colour, that could also be cooking too... after all its had 8 hours on the stove..?

The turning point was 8 hours. All of a sudden it went nutty and cakey from being a bit 'meh'. Not Victoria sponge cakey, but kind of yeasty and rich. I added two spiced chai tea bags that were from Sainsburys - but widely available at most supermarkets. and went 2 hours with those and 4 level desert spoons of white granulated sugar, i thought using demerara/artisan sugar might make toffee or similar.

large_chai.jpg

I'm turning it off to cool now, and ill run it through a muslin cloth to filter it when it's cold...

I would call it a success, from the cooking side of things anyway. No idea so far how strong it is, but i think i may need to wait a bit for a clear night with nowt going on lol -. So the final thing is to put 250ml in a 300ml bottle and freeze it.  

:hippy:

Edited by zeroG
  • Like 4

It sounds great @zeroG!

In fact, ironically, you've made it sound interesting enough for me to consider giving it a whirl.  I was thinking maybe cook it into a 'custard' and make a coffee ice-cream out of it.

I'm a fella, but I appreciate the modernity of you not assuming, heh heh ;)

• Like 2

large.63ac489f55d10_chai2.jpg

I know I made it myself, but ill stand on it. Its alright, better hot than cold, but i never really considered that, make it piping hot and add a rum lol

Success, i'd say anyway. Its got oomph cause i did my decanting, and there was a bit over...it works. It works quite well indeed :D

Would highly recommend, and especially the proper soaking out of the AVB over a couple of days. That is a game changer...

Id like a few others to have a go at this, just to see if its genuinely beginners luck, or a 'stumble upon' game changer for AVB re-use, cause genuinely you'd have no idea it was avb if you didnt know, youd think it was ' fresh top bud butter' in a scone lol 

:hippy:

• Like 2