Laptop recommendations please

Gaijin

10 hours ago, Mugwuffin said:

Asus make some good laptops, and have a range of price points, the one I'm using now has survived 10 years so far, and the battery is still good for over 5 hours ;)

They also make some terrible laptops. My £850 zenbook's hinge design trapped the wire leading to the screen cutting it out all the time after a year or so ending up with me having to take it apart and rewire it myself to fix it. MY wife had a £520 one that died after two years.

Every laptop maker makes good and bad laptops. Always google the one you choose to see if there are any known flaws with it.

Edited by Two Tents
  • Like 2

@Military Grade @j.o.i.n.t my ex-wife got the entire household onto iPhones the day they first came out. Little did we know at the time lol I'm still using the damn things, just because I can't be arsed relearning how to use an android. That sort of thing used to excite me, but now I'm too tired lollol 

• Like 3

@Gaijin I hear ya, sounds familiar - our resident member of the bourgeoisie makes similar noises :P  Not a zealot by any means, "it just works nice". I've noticed she doesn't have a hard glare, or a single bulging vein, when using it, too...kinda serene. Mine has that feature in droves.

....I keep bring it back to their laptops, that fucking air/pro hurts, and makes no sense at all....my thinkpad - T470 -  cost in total, with upgrades I did myself, about 410 quid -  and It does everything I need perfectly. To mirror the simple numbers in terms of memory and storage, I'd be in apple 'pro' territory, and spending 2-3 GRAND. What they charge for extra storage/memory is insane!

That being said the battle for any form of ownership, self upgrade/fixability a biggie within that imho, has mostly been lost across the board.... Even my beloved thinkpads going soldered on everything in recent years. I'd not be able to do with a 2022 model that I did to this 5-6 year old thing.

In future, choosing from monolithic blobs... it'll be the Air. *sigh. They're lovely.

• Like 1

As far as I'm aware, (Android users keep telling me this repeatedly, so I guess it must be true) there's not really anything an Apple computer can do, that a Windows-driven computer can't do. So what exactly is it that we pay more for? The name? 

Sure as fuck isn't their battery life :rolleyes:lollol 

• Like 1

@Gaijin Yep, true that, more or less - what we're used to most important thing in terms of Getting Stuff Done, specifics are mainly tribal or fashion/marketing led it seems...but don't get me started! (paid the windows tax on every device I've bought, but not used it as my os of choice in years).

• Like 2

@Gaijin If we buy apple we swerve it, and pay the apple premium instead. :D

Vast majority of laptops just come with windows, eh. That's not free. It's in the price, they would have paid for that, or your activities are the money maker so you're the product almost.... Bit like how we all pay credit card charges (visa/mastercard have fees!), even when paying in cash cos the price remains the same - but don't really notice.

Dell actually charge MORE for laptops with ubuntu pre-installed. They're also cunts. :stoned:

Edited by j.o.i.n.t
  • Like 1

Windows OEM can cost the consumer as little as £2 lol

46 minutes ago, Gaijin said:

So what exactly is it that we pay more for? The name? 

Apple is for the non tech savvy and the 3 g's Girls, Grannies and Gays, so basically a fashion accessory for people who don't know any better.

• Like 1

Just now, Military Grade said:

Can download it for nothing, I think.

They're still making billions. The cost has just been abstracted.... and, yeah, it's very much one of those things most don't give a shit about. Feels free so it'll do. *shrugs*

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Military Grade said:

Apple is for the non tech savvy and the 3 g's Girls, Grannies and Gays, so basically a fashion accessory for people who don't know any better.

*slowly puts iPhone down*  lollollol 

@j.o.i.n.t  Ahhhhhhh I see :doh: Obvious when you explain it

How'd you do that thing where you've posted the link, but you've determined what it will look like. That wasn't explained very well lol I asked in the feedback and support section but didn't have much luck 

• Like 2

@Gaijin

I did this:

Copy the link you want to use.

Write some text you want to be the link, then highlight it (I drag the mouse, can start and end where you want). Then click the link button on the editor buttons above the box you write the reply in (left of the speech marks).  Paste the address in the 'URL' bit, and press the button 'link...'....it was 10 seconds ago. Link something something :mashed:

Edited by j.o.i.n.t
  • Like 1

Just now, j.o.i.n.t said:

@Gaijin

I did this:

Copy the link you want to use.

Write some text you want to be the link, then highlight it (I drag the mouse, can start and end where you want). Then click the link button on the editor buttons above this box (left of the speech marks).  Paste the address in the 'URL' bit, and press the button 'link...'....it was 10 seconds ago. Link something something :mashed:

Like This? 

eta: OMG IT WORKED :yahoo: thank you :D 

Edited by Gaijin
  • Like 1