Whats with this Gamma-Irradiated weed thats prescibed

dylant

Whats with this Gamma-Irradiated weed thats prescibed  from sapphire etc , does it kill the terps ? make it dead weed ?   why do it ?

• Like 1

I believe it's kill microbial contamination for chronically ill patients affected by a weakened immune system.

Edited by Military Grade
  • Like 7

1 minute ago, Military Grade said:

I believe it's kill microbial contamination for chronically ill patients affected by a weakened immune system.

Ok I get that.... but does it effect the weed , terps , taste etc    I thought the terps was beneficial , the entourage effect etc

would this not kill them and make the weed less medical ?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, dylant said:

but does it effect the weed , terps , taste etc 

I found this online :yep:

"This study found that treatment did not cause changes in the content of THC and CBD, generally considered as the most important therapeutically active components of medicinal cannabis. Likewise, the water content and the microscopic structure of the dried cannabis flowers were not altered by standard irradiation protocol in the cannabis varieties studied."

"The effect of gamma-irradiation was limited to a reduction of some terpenes present in the cannabis, but keeping the terpene profile qualitatively the same."

• Like 1

debate rages about the effects of non thc cannabinoids, terpenes, entourage effect etc. mainly in the mental health community, although that is by far the largest mc community.

on the frontline this appears as ongoing debate about the effects of indica vs sativa and various straibs even thoug botanically and medically such definitions are not universally acknowledged as techbical definitions.

irradiation has been entered into this debate in a highly negative manner. people will post one day how brilliant eg 'grow' is because they do non irradiated weeed, the next they will complain about mould making them ill and seeds etc, then they will continue to support 'grow', as examples.

as @Military Grade grade says, medically and scientifically it is not disputed that irradiation has a reduction in amount of terpene, but not profile.

until we actuallt understand the entourage effect and the quantititve and qualitative efects of each component, the argument is just circular shoutiness.

• Like 1

is it the same type of uv as from the sun? abc etc

if it is, growers add more uv in a grow for more/different resin production.

i think historically, weed found at higher altitudes was ‘stronger’? iirc? too, which led some to think the resin is a uv defence..

Edited by twigs
2 many two’s

8 minutes ago, twigs said:

is it the same type of uv as from the sun? abc etc

if it is, growers add more uv in a grow for more/different resin production.

i think historically, weed found at higher altitudes was ‘stronger’? iirc? too, which led some to think the resin is a uv defence..

I thought this might be an interesting read for people. It's also related to the topic at hand, as iirc they discuss irradiated cannabis post harvest. 

UV Radiation and PSM

Different wavelength ranges in UV radiation result in varying cannabinoid accumulation (Lydon et al., 1987; Magagnini et al., 2018). It has been nearly four decades since the first study suggesting that UV-B (280–315 nm) radiation affects cannabinoid accumulation in cannabis plants (Lydon et al., 1987). UV-B radiation did not impact cannabinoid content in both drug- and fiber-type cannabis plants, with the exception of Δ9-THC in bud tissues of drug-type cannabis plants. When the daily dosage of UV-B radiation increased from 0 to 13.4 kJ m−2, the Δ9-THC content increased from 25 to 32% (Lydon et al., 1987), suggesting that Δ9-THC was a UV-B photo-protectant (Pate, 1994). It was further noted that UV-B radiation increases trichome numbers. Altitude may be equally important. Increased solar UV radiation results in higher CBDA, terpene, and cannaflavin content in the hemp variety “Kompolti” (Giupponi et al., 2020). Notably, UV radiation sources used in both studies had relatively broad spectra, compared to electrical UV radiation sources, such UV-discharge lamps and light-emitting diodes (LEDs). It is unknown if there is was an interactive effect between UV-A (315–380 nm) and UV-B radiation, as a high percentage of UV-A radiation was present in both the UV-B and control light treatments (Mirecki and Teramura, 1984; Lydon et al., 1987; Giupponi et al., 2020). A subsequent study examined the impact of UV-A radiation on cannabinoid accumulation, and reported increased cannabinoid levels other than Δ9-THC (Magagnini et al., 2018). Low percentages of UV-A radiation (2%) from full-spectrum LED arrays induced an increase of several cannabinoids, including CBD, CBG, Δ9-THC, and tetrahydrocannabivarin (THCV), compared to a high pressure sodium (HPS) lamp that contained 1% of UV-A radiation (Magagnini et al., 2018). Clearly, more studies are required to clarify the impact of UV radiation on cannabis PSM accumulation.

Cannabinoids and Terpenes: How Production of Photo-Protectants Can Be Manipulated to Enhance Cannabis sativa L. Phytochemistry

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, GSZZ said:

Altitude may be equally important.

That's why you should always place your plant on top of another unpside down plant pot 

:sorry:

• Like 7

• 3 months later...

It definitely effects the terp profile in my experience. Also seems to effect the colour of the bud.

I get decent effects, but I prefer my sun grown garden grown stuff, more rounded high.