Origin of hash made from USA strains

LHC

Hi,

I friend of mine often comes along with hash made from typical USA strains like Gelato etc.

Do they make this in Marooco now?

LHC

They can call it anything when they sell it online and the unsuspecting buyers just assume they are being sold what they are told. Same goes with buds too mind. I remember going to one chaps house to buy some weed years ago and he had a big piece of Manali Cream on the table which he insisted was bubblehash. It most certainly was not, I'd have put my life on it. That's why it's best to make your own.

Although it could just be bubblehash or dry sift made from the said strains.

• Like 1

It's possible, but it wouldn't seem totally likely. 

As already said-  in terms of reality, you can't know much about the origin of anything unless you witness it from cradle to grave.  

I can tell you this much-  I live in the US in a state that is not legal.  I have NEVER seen hash for sale on the streets here. I just made a run of hash, and I've been giving little pieces to friends.  One of those friends was a dealer that moves somewhere around 20lbs of flower a month. He's never smoked hash.  Never seen it in person.  The has I gave him as a gift was the first piece he's laid hands on.  I had to explain to him how to use it. 

If the dude that moves 20lbs of flower a month hasn't ever seen or smoked hash, there's a pretty good chance not many other people have.  At least not in my area.  It's not something "the kids" have any interest in.  Same scenario with a friend's daughter.  She smokes everyday, all day.  She's never seen hash.  I gave her a piece and it rocked her socks off. 

It's just not something that's common, present day, in the states, with the "average consumer." 

I say all that to say this----

It's pretty unlikely that, if you found hash at all here, that it would be made from a strain who's name carries it's value. 

Gelato is worth more as flower, because it's hyped and recognized, than as hash.  Present day consumers in the states, generally speaking, wouldn't typically buy hash.  So there's no reason for someone to make it here. 

It's certainly possible that farmers in the "East" have started growing hype strains for yield etc.  But I'd want the context clues of the product, who you got it from, where it was alleged to come from, how it was packages etc to all line up and point to that conclusion in order to believe it came from Morocco.

Much more likely that it's some hash made in Morocco, from Moroccan plants, that someone has just made up a story about. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Cajafiesta said:

I can tell you this much-  I live in the US in a state that is not legal.  I have NEVER seen hash for sale on the streets here.

The annual hash production from the traditional hash making areas was pretty much all consumed in Europe so there was never any left to go to the USA.

This is an excerpt from Hashish! by Robert Connel Clarke:

North America versus Europe—Marijuana versus Hashish
In North America, most Cannabis is smoked in its crude form as marijuana. There are no traditional centers of hashish production in the Americas, and Asian and Middle Eastern sources are halfway around the world. It is relatively easy to grow marijuana in the friendly climates and vast, sparsely populated areas of the Americas, and comparatively easy to smuggle marijuana over the long, under-guarded American and Canadian borders. Conversely, Europe has less land conducive to illicit cultivation, is closer to the traditional centers of hashish production, and is farther from the marijuana export centers of Latin America. Canadian and United States grown marijuana rarely escapes from the domestic markets.

The mass-marketing of marijuana was primarily an American phenomenon beginning in the 1960s and flourishing by the early 1970s. During this period, North Americans sought hashish because it was consistently more potent than the ubiquitous Mexican marijuana. High-potency Mexican and Colombian marijuana began to flood the North American market about 1972. This change to higher-quality imported marijuana, combined with the explosive growth in domestic high-quality sinsemilla production, and the continually diminishing supply of hashish, kept the majority of American smokers from ever experiencing high-quality hashish.
One reason why relatively little hashish appeared in North America is that the demand for hashish in Europe always has almost equaled the supply available from Asia and the Middle East and little remained for the North American market. In the United States and Canada, marijuana abounds while hashish is a rare treat; in Europe, more hashish always has been available than marijuana. Europeans also have had some experience with hashish, beginning in the nineteenth century, while it was very rare for anyone to encounter hashish in America before recent times.

Over the course of early history, far more hashish than marijuana was traded and consumed. Today, marijuana use greatly exceeds hashish use worldwide. Marijuana is the traditional form of Cannabis consumed in Africa and Latin America. Beginning in the late 1980s, and continuing to the present, the availability of domestically grown sinsemilla increased dramatically in Europe, coinciding with the general decline in the quality of hashish. As a result, very many European Cannabis smokers have turned to locally produced sinsemilla.

• Like 5

Just to clearify. I am located in Europe, and hash has always been the main cannabis product here.

I was looking at the coffeeshop menues in Adam and I also see they have a lot of strain specific hash like sorbet, gelato, OG and cookies.

5 hours ago, Cajafiesta said:

Much more likely that it's some hash made in Morocco, from Moroccan plants, that someone has just made up a story about. 

The people here who could recognize it correctly were probably born before 1970.

Edited by catweazle1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, catweazle1 said:

The people here who could recognize it correctly were probably born before 1970.

Well, we are. And we know how traditional moroccan hash looks and feels like.

• Like 1

On 05/11/2022 at 10:51 AM, LHC said:

Do they make this in Marooco now?

According to reports, Moroccan farmers are switching to modern strains. Whether they are making hash from it I don't know.

Traditionally the main incentive for making hash was to deseed, something that can only be done with "Indica", ie trichome bearing strains. Hash, being a concentrate, is also easier to transport for trade. If they can grow sinsemellia (there must be a lot of pollen floating about in Moroccan growing areas), there is less economic incentive to make hash because the added value is far less.

Ultimately it's a question of demand. The prevalence of hash in the past was due to supply chains, not consumer choice. 

• Like 1