wifi connection to outside shed

The Villan

Hello, is it possible to extend my house wifi strength to supply a signal to my outside shed so that I can use the connection for an inkbird wifi enabled thermostat controller ?

Cheers

Vill

I yhink you can get hold of wifi range extenders - never used one so have no idea if they work or you could place your router in an upstairs room o the same side of house as your shed 

Edited by RUFUS HOUND
  • Like 1

Yeah one of those range extenders would do the job if you plug it in to whichever room is closest in your house. 

• Like 1

How far is it from router to shed?  The trouble with range extenders is their signal doesn't travel that well over distances or through walls, etc. 

You could use a range extender with an ethernet lead input, something like a netgear ex3700 then run an ethernet lead from router to shed giving you a full signal with zero dropouts. Ethernet leads are cheap as fk on that auction site, 20 metres is about £7. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Saddam said:

How far is it from router to shed?  The trouble with range extenders is their signal doesn't travel that well over distances or through walls, etc. 

You could use a range extender with an ethernet lead input, something like a netgear ex3700 then run an ethernet lead from router to shed giving you a full signal with zero dropouts. Ethernet leads are cheap as fk on that auction site, 20 metres is about £7. 

I understand the principal, but what does the ehternet cable plug into in the shed ?

5 hours ago, Themadhippy said:

if you got power to the shed a power line adaptor maybe another option

Yes I have power to the shed :)

9 minutes ago, The Villan said:

what does the ehternet cable plug into in the shed ?

Something like a Netgear EX3700. lol 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Themadhippy said:

if you got power to the shed a power line adaptor maybe another option

This sounds like a better option. will google :)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Themadhippy said:

a power line adaptor maybe another option

I was looking at fitting one of these a while ago, it looked like the best option at the time.

As it goes I didn’t bother, I try to use as little as possible to grow, relying on the internet to switch things on/off/up/down is asking for trouble imo.

Take it easy. Jj 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Jibba jabba said:

I was looking at fitting one of these a while ago, it looked like the best option at the time.

As it goes I didn’t bother, I try to use as little as possible to grow, relying on the internet to switch things on/off/up/down is asking for trouble imo.

Take it easy. Jj 

Understand that m8, but not having that internet connection is playing fuck with my social calendar :). I am in the room every morning and dnight but when I want a quick 48 hours session on a bank somewhere it isnt possible. Unless I can find another way to heat the groom with as much success as the greenhouse heater . Am still dialling the growroom in again after going over to the brightside :)

• Like 1

i use a tp link power line adaptor to provide a wifi hotspot in my shed. its brilliant, covers the entire garden.

problem solved.

the pw is the one on the adaptor and guests just use that.

• Like 3

i had the same issue, on the inkbird app, u can test the network connection of each device by clicking the device and then 3 lines in top right, i was getting 70-80db, which was weak af, sometimes losing connection completely, i just completely gutted my shed inside, and fitted free laminate flooring to walls and floor,  whilst at it i re routed all powerlines and fitted a TP power link, now my connection is 30-40db excellent improovement.

• Like 1

I fitted the tp link AV600 I think it was :) No dropping of signal the inkbird is a;wayus online, I just couldn't get the shedules to work for me. However after downloading severa lof their different apps I am waiting till 7pm to see if it turns up from 24 to 28c, if it does then this will be day three of it working properly :)

Cheers

Vill

• Like 2