Devon Cream

Had a little lull in work yesterday part of my work is on the water so thought yesterday I’ll just take a rod as go down the harbour do what I’ve gotta do down there then chuck the rod out for hour or so for bass then poodle back to work. We’ve had tuna visiting are area for few years now seen em at a slight distance but not up close and personal. Well yesterday they where feeding in the harbour didn’t catch any bass yesterday they where probably keeping low profile with these big boys n girls feeding had a few come close to the boat amazing fish size of them too anyone else spotted or got them in there area.

• Like 5

That’s cool. I haven’t been fishing in years. Had only really started getting into it when I stopped. Assumed you’re in the UK, didn’t know Tuna came here. Big bait/hook to catch one maybe? 

• Like 2

I’ve only just started fishing here and there nothing serious usually in work time as work on the water here there. Yes in uk Devon they’ve been visiting for quite a few years now then just disappear till the following summer they where bit later turning up this year. Your not allowed to catch ‘em at all there is a couple people who have licence but it’s catch and release as it should be. Last year local charter boat caught one took ages to get the fish up and was released. Tbh there so big and amazing fish I wouldn’t want to take its life we’ve designated the oceans enough but there amazing all the same.

Edited by Devon Cream
  • Like 4

There was a giant blue fin tuna caught off Pembrokeshire in 2017 (accidently apparently):yinyang:

iirc there have been smaller sharks off cardigan bay in the past ,stacks of dolphin and porpoise about (sp?)

Edited by Personunknown
  • Like 3

Guest Micromole Hole

There's loads around penzance and St Ives now......People go out shark fishing and hook them . A guy on the fish locker on YouTube hooked one and took him on a merry chase in his small boat ..... there's 1000lbers now in the bays .  

16 hours ago, Thirty3 said:

What about Great Whites, you reckon there has been or will be GW in our waters?

You never know what’s visiting or visited are waters I know they tracked a great white well west of Ireland few years ago . I should think with food becoming less good chance there travel to different areas few years ago a South African lifeguard reckon he saw a tiger shark not far from a local beach how true that is couldn’t say.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

My pal went out on a tuna tagging trip a couple of weeks back in Devon, I couldn’t go as had prior commitments (gutted)

they had 6 hits, landed 5 between 200 and 600lb, skipper said they’ve had them upto 1500lb

i won’t be missing the next trip

• Like 4

• 1 year later...

Weather was bloody horrific last night high SW winds early on today went westerly slightly sheltered in ate local harbour. Bored last few days thought I’d go fishing today rough sea’s stirring up the sandeel tgought be a bass heaven . Had a few mostly schooly but had a few decent size fish them went quiet  no bites seagulls starting to appear overhead. Next thing big tuna appeared closely jumping then more appeared I thought they would of disappeared as winter arrives but the sea is quite a lot warmer than it should be magnificent fish sat there watching them nature creates some amazing life.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

Following up to my last post on tuna in December had a few hours of work on the water today down the harbour rods are always in are workboats. Me and my work partner thought we’d have a few casts no bass today or anything was biting today and low and behold there’s tuna out there again now . Wonder if they ever cleared off out are waters this year don’t or haven’t seen them this early in the year. Makes you wonder what else is in are waters these days.

• Like 1