Microsoft Edge not working - no it's not me lol

Gaijin

Afternoon all,

Microsoft Edge has stopped working on my GFs laptop. Not such a bad thing, I said lol  But I figured I'd try and help her out with it. 

Basically you click on the icon and you get a little blue ring for about a second, then nothing happens. The page doesn't open. Nothing. She's most upset as all her bookmarks and passwords are saved there. 

Any ideas? I'm probably missing something stupid lol 

Thanks

17 minutes ago, Gaijin said:

Any ideas? I'm probably missing something stupid lol 

Press ctrl + shift + escape. Have a look in task manager > processes (usually the tab that opens up) for Edge, if you see it in there press it, and then hit End Task and try again. It might be that its "running" in the background already, and thats why it wont launch.  

• Like 2

Try this: Step 1: Run Windows Settings and go to Apps. Step 2: In Apps & features, select Microsoft Edge and click Advanced options below it. Step 3: Scroll down to find Reset section. Here are two options available, and you can choose to either Repair or Reset your Edge

• Like 1

@catweazle1 now that's what Google told me to do, but when I follow those steps I only have the "repair" option, not the reset option

Which makes me think that maybe it's running and therefore can't be reset ....... so I went and tried your advice @GSZZ and no, it's not running in the background either. Strange. 

Thank you both for your replies :) I've noticed that there was a recent update to windows edge, so that may be the issue, although why an update presumably meant to improve something would make it fail. I have no idea. Microsoft have no history of this, do they? lollol System Restore might be the next step 

Ok so I've accidentally fixed the issue, for anyone else's future reference. I was trying to uninstall edge completely and so right-clicked and run as administrator - started straight up welcoming me to the latest update :rolleyes: 

• Like 2