Decarb - Will this work?

stu914

Evening All...

Looking for some advice before I bite the bullet...(don't want to feck it up) 

I've got a few oz of Critical Mass CBD (Dinafem) which rates at 5% THC 5% CBD to make some edibles, hopefully to help with the mrs' MS symptoms.

She's not interested in getting high at all so I'm hoping this strain will be ok, any experience with it would be welcome.

She's also not keen on the taste and doesn't smoke or vape so I intend to decarb some bud, grind it down to dust and fill capsules.

It's been jarred for a few months so should be nicely cured and just needs to be decarbed.

I've never had to do this with weed on it's own before as I usually extract with olive or coconut oil and that does it all in one.

My plan is to use a slow cooker which I've checked with an infra red temp gun and it reads steady between 120c -125c on the lowest setting.

Is this temp ok and how long should I leave it on for? (There are so many conflicting opinions on temps and times)

I'm using roasting bags and not sure how much to do at a time, can it just be packed in or does it need to be spaced out single layer?

Will I need some sort of trivet to raise the bags off the base of the cooker?

Any and all advice appreciated folks

Many Thanks

Slow cookers on low is almost perfect for decarb in oil. I don't decarb buds, I make sift hash first, and it all goes into the oil. 

Not sure you could just whole throw buds in a slow cooker without oil, the temps would be uneven best use oil, better yet, buy some cacao butter and make her suppositories. All the meds without the buzz, as it bypasses the liver so no high. Cacao butter won't melt until 35C, coconut oil is 19C

Get the oil to 120C first then add material, keep it stirring until the bubbles are gone. Decarb is done. Just make sure the oil to bud ratio is good. This is why I started making sift first. Easier to stir and didn't need so much oil. 

You can get large screens for sifting for around £30 delivered. 

large.5f189dac31732_PNGimage3.pnglarge.5f189dadb4ff4_PNGimage2.pnglarge.5f189da676414_PNGimage4.pnglarge.5f189da4b7cd0_PNGimage5.pnglarge.5f189da322825_PNGimage6.pnglarge.5f189da16645d_PNGimage7.png

Edited by Slippy One
  • Like 5

@Slippy One

Cheers bud, not really what I'm looking for, I've already done plenty of extractions with oil, coconut, butter etc.

It's mainly decarb temps and time I'm after.

Thanks

I remember this thread from a while ago, that has a graph of decarbing temperatures and times (I think). I've kinda oven decarbed on similar guidelines ever since. Dunno how accurate it is, but it's worked for me :)

Edited by Boojum
  • Like 1

Just now, Boojum said:

I remember this thread from a while ago, that has a graph of decarbing temperatures and times (I think). I've kinda oven decarbed on similar guidelines ever since. Dunno how accurate it is, but it's worked for me :)

Bare in mind this graph is for hexane extracted oil, the OP wants to decarb bud on hot ceramic, that could be much longer depending on material or batches. Funny enough, 20-25 mins in hot oil (for an even decarb) is about spot on for me, but I go by C02 bubbles indicating the carboxyl group has left he building. :yep:

• Like 2

The idea of decarbing is simple really.

As long as your herb is BONE DRY .....it is said to be decrared. Hence the oven method.

I make my oil with fresh frozen herb..Not dry at all.

I wash it, Frozen of course..everything is frozen... :)

I take it down to concentrate and then I heat it up to the temp needed to decarb inactive cannaboids., 220 F pretty sure.

Once passed that temp ..

only degrades the oil and starts to burn off meds once already decared..

once the bubbles stop..

yer done..but keep the temp under 200f and only raise it more once you see bubbles dissipating... as you add more heat you will see bubbles again until you hit that 220 mark 

yer done.... :)

PS if you don't decarb it? :) 

You will still have some of the finest smoking oil .....  :) just sayin

Edited by gb1
  • Like 2

Here part 1 of a 3 part video that focuses on decarb 3 different ways. I think she goes 45 mins but sprays everclear on 1 batch..

• Like 2

Get a bit of grease proof paper or something similar on the bottom of the slow cooker. Sprinkle 2-3g in a thin compact layer couple of mm deep as a test. Turn on your slow cooker with the lid on. Periodically read the surface temperature of the bud. Do it quickly and replace the lid so it doesn't cool down too much. When the temperature of the bud reaches 120-125c, count down 30 minutes. When cool remove bud and powder it down fine with you fingers or some other way. Add to capsules. Here's a graph of the efficacy of different temperatures for thc conversion.

large.decarboxylation-cannabis-temperature-chart-thc.jpeg

After a few goes, you'll instinctively know the amount and time to leave it for before timing it down. As you can see from the graph, the safest and most efficient temperature is 120-125c. I don't use a slow cooker but those parameters  works fine for me and puts me in Noddyland. Consuming it in a drink, it starts working within 20-30 minutes. Pills would be around the same I would think... take them with something a bit oily or fatty to aid absorption... milky coffee works. The important thing is to get the bud to decarb temperature before timing the actual cooking period. The more you do at one time, the smellier it will be. I did an half ounce once and my neighbour mate could smell it outside. Fortunately, there's plenty of potheads around me that are known by the neighbours, but lesson learned. Cheers.

Edited by catweazle1
  • Like 1

@stu914 Afterthought: you could also pre-warm to 125c and then put your bud.in but measure the ground buds temp to make sure the bud surface is 125. You might need raise the cooker setting to get there... the heat transfer to the bud will be less efficient than to  the pot itself and be most likely lower.

Edited by catweazle1
  • Like 1

I'd forget about the slow cooker if there is no oil involved. For just straight up bud I'd use the oven. Electric ones are easier than gas. Some sort of thermometer helps too as ovens aren't usually that precise, but I do 120c for 30mins.

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, KC said:

I'd forget about the slow cooker if there is no oil involved. For just straight up bud I'd use the oven. Electric ones are easier than gas. Some sort of thermometer helps too as ovens aren't usually that precise, but I do 120c for 30mins.

Exactly what I do.

• Like 3

I’ve decarbed in the oven before but the pong was fantastical lol I just like others decarb via a loooong slow stew now. If decarbing in the oven be careful if it’s a fan oven for obvious reasons … I had to find out me sen lol 

Edited by mikeydoughnut
  • Like 1

I've used a roasting bag in the oven to decarb weed. Keeps the aroma locked in.

You can just chuck the dried buds, trim etc. in the bag or grind it first to increase surface area. Tie a knot in the end of the bag and place on a baking tray, fire up the oven to around 90-100ºC and bake for 60-90 minutes. I take the bag out a couple of times to shake the weed up a bit before returning. Allow to cool before opening.

• Like 2