epilepsy focal or grand mal

le0n.v6

Anyone here use pot to help preventing seizures? (focal or other)

Been suffering with focal seizures for the last 13ish years with them worsenin over the years and becoming more and more frequent (Admittedly I did used to go raving a lot in my 20s, but hung up my dancin shoes 3 or so years ago after a few bad comedowns involving seizures.) and was finally diagnosed with epilepsy around 2 years ago. Before being diagnosed I was concerned that my pot habit maybe to blame as the focal seizures started around the same time I started smoking bud, but I'm pretty convinced now that its been helping all these years.

Just wondering if anyone else suffers with similar seizures on here and how they get by regarding them. Been prescribed some meds but not too sure theyre working.

Unfortunately these seizures have developed into full on fits, having had 2 within the last 6 months.

• Like 2

Wouldn’t you be eligible for a cannabis prescription if you are living with epilepsy?  I know someone who believes cannabis keeps their epilepsy in check or at worst if they have seizures they are short-lived, milder than they would be without daily oil and recover fairly quickly afterwards.  Best wishes finding the right strain! 

• Like 4
Guest anarchycamp

Grand mal here, only had a few serious fits about 13 years ago.  Nearly flung myself into pub fryers during one, were it not for a brave mate.

Fucked up my top teeth too

Used to use the prescribed meds, then voluntarily gave up my licence as I wanted to come off them.

Pretty honest, I don't think they knew why I was having them after all the tests but it was pretty clear to me.

STRESS

What meds are you on? I tried a med prior to the main one I took and it made me fit

2 hours ago, grooving said:

Wouldn’t you be eligible for a cannabis prescription if you are living with epilepsy?  I know someone who believes cannabis keeps their epilepsy in check or at worst if they have seizures they are short-lived, milder than they would be without daily oil and recover fairly quickly afterwards.  Best wishes finding the right strain! 

I aint really looked up too much about a pot prescription as thought you had to really fight for it. Maybe worth looking into. Do you know much about it or have a direction to point me in mate?? Can imagine theres all sorts of incorrect shit on the net about legal pot in the UK

2 hours ago, anarchycamp said:

Grand mal here, only had a few serious fits about 13 years ago.  Nearly flung myself into pub fryers during one, were it not for a brave mate.

Fucked up my top teeth too

Used to use the prescribed meds, then voluntarily gave up my licence as I wanted to come off them.

Pretty honest, I don't think they knew why I was having them after all the tests but it was pretty clear to me.

STRESS

What meds are you on? I tried a med prior to the main one I took and it made me fit

At the minute I'm on Lamotragine 100mg per day - I wasnt taking my meds either til I ended up in ICU for 3 day after a car crash having a seizure at the wheel, luckily no1 was hurt, so I've had 2 surrended my licence too. Thought i'd give meds another go although still having focal seizures in a morning just after I get up before I smoke any pot. Then as soon as I have wake n bake they're gone for the day. Strange eh?? :P

I reckon its stress that brings mine on too but I'm always fuckin stressed, short fuse and easily frustrated doesnt help things at all haha. When I'm having a busy month or two my seizures are like clockwork is it the same for you?

E2A: Just thought I did start the Lamotragine when I was first prescribed them and then a few weeks later had a proper grand mal out the blue whilst straight headed first one I've had whilst awake and not on MDMA (genuinely the only drug i used to touch besides pot thats how I knew it was the mandy making me fit). So maybe it was the lamotragine that made me fit? Wasn't aware that the wrong meds could do that, gonna look into it for sure

Edited by le0n.v6

I swear toking reduced the missuses grand mal seizures  , but she no longer tokes and is stable on eplim and lamictal (she was pretty frequent as a younger person "daily /multi")

eta sometimes the changes in meds would make her really ill , Gabba and pregab together really fucked our world , (cant say more on here)

Edited by Personunknown
  • Like 1
  • 1 year later...

I’ve been suffering with epilepsy for 4 years since diagnosis mainly have tonic clonic seizure, I started on Levetiracetam (kepra) which seen me fit free for over 12 months, September last year it all started again with me having a tonic clonic seizure whilst at work driving my van hitting a school wall, lucky for me people witnessed what had happened, since then I was experiencing tonic clonic every week with partial, focals, aura….etc, I’m on maximum dose of Levetiracetam and also lacosomide with several other meds to control my headaches and dizziness, in all fairness I take my epilepsy meds and to control me headaches and dizziness I just puff on the “modified” roll up, since May this year I have not had any tonic clonic seizures, the sad thing about epilepsy is that it doesn’t have much attention as other disabilities which leaves me with zero to little help, I’m a plasterer by trade and also a part time postman, Royal Mail are not interested/helpful at all and in all fairness my plastering days are over as I’m shit scared to drive again, I don’t earn the same and personally in the next couple of years I will be absolutely finished financially, my friend circle has finished to a point nobody wants to no, family wise; I had to move to my dads house with my wife and kids due to safety reasons.  I really want to live normal with my old life and in my own house but it’s safe to say that’s all over and I’m only 39, if I had a choice I would love to end my life, sorry for the rant and I’d still doesn’t make me feel better and I hate my life 

• Like 1
On 23/06/2023 at 4:27 PM, H420 said:

I’ve been suffering with epilepsy for 4 years since diagnosis mainly have tonic clonic seizure, I started on Levetiracetam (kepra) which seen me fit free for over 12 months, September last year it all started again with me having a tonic clonic seizure whilst at work driving my van hitting a school wall, lucky for me people witnessed what had happened, since then I was experiencing tonic clonic every week with partial, focals, aura….etc, I’m on maximum dose of Levetiracetam and also lacosomide with several other meds to control my headaches and dizziness, in all fairness I take my epilepsy meds and to control me headaches and dizziness I just puff on the “modified” roll up, since May this year I have not had any tonic clonic seizures, the sad thing about epilepsy is that it doesn’t have much attention as other disabilities which leaves me with zero to little help, I’m a plasterer by trade and also a part time postman, Royal Mail are not interested/helpful at all and in all fairness my plastering days are over as I’m shit scared to drive again, I don’t earn the same and personally in the next couple of years I will be absolutely finished financially, my friend circle has finished to a point nobody wants to no, family wise; I had to move to my dads house with my wife and kids due to safety reasons.  I really want to live normal with my old life and in my own house but it’s safe to say that’s all over and I’m only 39, if I had a choice I would love to end my life, sorry for the rant and I’d still doesn’t make me feel better and I hate my life 

Only just seen your reply n not sure if youll see this..

I know what your saying about the circle of friends and driving. I had a head on collision at some traffic lights a few months before posting this (November 2021). Gave up my lisence and 360 ticket n now out of work so really relatable. 

Sounds like you got a few people round u tho missis n a kid etc. Stay happy mate atleast for them

Don't give up mate dunno if you'll see this but it does suck to have epilepsy or any other disability but you learn to live with it I guess :/ could be better but also could be alot worse.

You'll be OK man just gotta try stay busy to take your mind off shit

Edited by le0n.v6
  • Like 2