Isle of Wight man produces cannabis Cancard in court

Simple Jack

No trial for Isle of Wight cannabis Cancard holder

A NEWPORT man who holds a Cancard and hoped it would prove medical dispensation to use the class B drug didn't pursue his case to trial yesterday (Tuesday).

David Toker, 41, of Hogan Close, originally didn't enter a plea to the offence when he appeared at the Isle of Wight Magistrates' Court on December 21, 2021.

He had produced a type of card which proves medical dispensation to use the class B drug, a Cancard, and hoped it meant he was innocent of possession.

It was to be the first such case heard on the Isle of Wight and was set for a trial at the Isle of Wight Crown Court.

However, Toker now has cannabis prescribed, and on the day of his trial admitted the cannabis he had possession of last year was illegal.

Judge Advocate Robert Douglas Hill said: "You were originally pleading not guilty on the basis of necessity. I understand you are now using cannabis medicinally and have it prescribed.

"It is not in the gift of the judge to decide law as he goes along. The courts are not the forum as to whether you should have it for medicinal purposes."

Toker was given a 12-month conditional discharge.

https://www.countypress.co.uk/news/20717709.no-trial-isle-wight-cannabis-cancard-holder/

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Slippy One said:

Cancard nil,

That's not a surprise really but to be fair it still hasn't actually been tested legally.

4 hours ago, Simple Jack said:

Toker [...] admitted the cannabis he had possession of last year was illegal.

He pleaded guilty so there was no trial.

• Like 3

Let's be honest, the Cancard was a huge money maker and personal information database for fools to give away. Smart folk would rather the law caught up with civil society instead of some kind of faux medical permit issued by a private company. 

Might be smarter and cheaper in the long run to get a private presciption. Expensive I know, but cheaper than a lawyer and criminal record. Might even assist damage control if caught growing small amounts..

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Slippy One said:

Soooo...

Cancard nil, official prescription 1.

Don't forget all the people who haven't been arrested/ sent to trial thanks to having one, people such as myself.... 

E2A at parade gardens (sick weekend definitely recommend) last year the I stood and listened to what's her name from CanCard chatting with police about the scheme and they where we'll on board with it, and this was in Norfolk where everything takes a while to trickle through. Short of actually partaking the police where getting well involved, saw them watching a demonstration on closed loop extraction techniques lol

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 2

On 31/12/2021 at 8:26 PM, JamieThePainter said:

Most GPs

Mine made getting one difficult

As they did by repeatedly refusing to engage with a clinic even though they had provable authorisation