Multiple Computer Devices

Barnes

I don't know about you but i seem to collect equipment. Ive got rid of a bit but still have x3laptops a gaming rig , desktop pc, (plus phones kindles, tablets etc)

WHAT I WANT TO KNOW IS

I sometimes think there must be a way of connecting them all together and have them doing something productive (or profitable). I know the arse has fallen out of Crypto Mining but something along those lines maybe?

When you think how much computing power we have in our homes now compared to early missions to space. It just seems a shame to have them all running idle. Does anybody have any dynmaic ideas? :smokin:

Using WiFi controllers and an old PC, set up a controller for feeding and lighting.

Search Elegoo for pre-built controllers.

Pi-Hole is a quick build and I can't live without it.

Edited by NathanW
  • Like 1

Not very productive but flight sim.  A view from all windows. I suppose you could cash in if you offered to fly drones for the gov from home.

• Like 1

There's a few distributed computing or grid computing projects you can join in with 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_distributed_computing_projects

Setting up a lappy for bruteforcing and testing iptelly and streaming services can be a fun project

(which might find you some "free" media content) 

And/or you can probably use them as media players, and set one of them up as a Plex server, too 

• Like 1

Kodi is the best way to connect all devices for media.

i used to have a hard drive with about 1000 films on and a dvb s2 tuner on a main computer in my living room and shared it to all devices in the house through kodi so all the tv channels and the films were available but sky has ended card sharing and streaming is just so much easier than downloading these days.

• Like 1

Use some for the Steam remote usage so you can continue watching what ever is on your PC while you're doing something in another room.

Or PC gaming while on the throne lol

3 hours ago, Hippie on hill said:

There's a few distributed computing or grid computing projects you can join in with 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_distributed_computing_projects

I know im baked when i realise i was giving serious consideration to joining the Molecular Biology one (for the crack) but then i read into it and came across this

Folding@home is one of the world's fastest computing systems. With heightened interest in the project as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic,[7] the system achieved a speed of approximately 1.22 exaflops by late March 2020 and reached 2.43 exaflops by April 12, 2020,[8] making it the world's first exaflop computing system

I don't know what an exoflop is but im guessing thats quick . lol ive no clue whats going on anymore tbh

Welcome to GIMPS, the Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search

GIMPS lol

This sounds interesting does anyone here have any experience? Its looking for Mersienne Prime numbers.. apparently there's cash prizes of $50,000 and $100,000

https://www.mersenne.org/

Edited by Barnes