A guide to install Linux next to Windows 10

Rural Buddha

OK, this is, hopefully, a complete guide to install Linux next to Windows 10 on a PC - desktop or laptop.

There are many step to get to a point that Windows will 'allow' another operating system on your computer. It is almost all click, click, click so don't be daunted by the lists below. We'll take it a few steps at a time.

Ideally if you hit a problem start a new thread so this one doesn't get too big and it is easy for anyone to see the trees and can avoid the wood :)

Are you sitting comfortably? Then I'll begin.

If you have files (documents, photos, videos, bookmarks, etc.) that you would hate to lose DO A BACKUP - so far (and I've done Dual Boot Linux to dozens of PCs) no bad things have happened - but it is possible, we're messing with disk structure and data loss isn't out of the question.

First - turn off 'Secure Boot' in the BIOS (Basic Input/Output System). The BIOS is a chip on the mainboard that enables the computer to start. Initial designed by a man that ought to have dominated the PC operating system world instead of Bill Gates - that's another story. Secure Boot as a Microsoft cludge to try and make Windows less vulnerable to viruses, it also was a way to stop competition from other operating systems like Linux. Disabling Secure Boot is not a major thing, just has to be done.

A search on the 'net for 'disable secure boot' will show you the steps below too.

1. Go to Settings - Update & Security
  2. Click 'Recovery'
  3. In the Advanced start-up section click 'Restart now'
  4. Click 'Troubleshoot'
  5. Click 'Advanced options'
  6. Click 'UEFI Firmware Settings'
  7. Click Restart

The computer should restart and show the BIOS screen.

Should have been an image here but the forum software won't insert it - just sits there with a spinning thing :angry:
Newer systems might have a BIOS you can use the mouse in, older ones it'll be just the keyboard. Look to see if it says use F5 or F6, the arrows keys or whatever to move about the BIOS screens. Don't muck with anything other than Secure Boot, the ESC key gets you out without saving changes if you're not sure. No.1 - Don't panic :) there's always a way out.
There are a few different BIOSs, find the option for Secure Boot in yours and disable it.
The F10 key on the keyboard usually saves and exits the BIOS and starts Windows again. Say yes to save changes and reboot.

Second - check your computer is 64bit, not 32 bit.
Open File Manager
Right click 'This PC'
Click 'Properties'
See if your computer is 64bit - most likely if less than 10 years old.

If you have an ancient Windows XP computer that is 32bit then a 32bit Linux distribution using Xfce or other light weight 'desktop environment' can give it a new lease of life.

Having typed this out and not being able to add images I'll log out and log back in and add images in the next post - hopefully.

• Like 1

A fairly typical BIOS screen - there are plenty of other styles, keys to move around and change things are usually indicated at the bottom or side of the screen.

large_bios.png

The 'About' screen on my laptop - 'System Type' is what we're looking for here.

large.about_windows.png

So we need: a Linux setup image and a program to write that in a special way to a USB stick.

1. On the internet go to linuxmint.com/download.php - I've just noticed that Mint 20.2 is only 64bit, Mint 19.3 comes in both 64 and 32bit versions if you have an older 32bit system.
  2. Click Mint 20.2 MATE edition (Cinnamon if you have a decent graphics card, MATE can be installed afterwards if Cinnamon isn't happy).
  3. Choose a mirror - United Kingdom, University of Kent is usually the fastest.
  4. Wait for download to finish
  5. While still on internet go to balena.io/etcher and click 'Download for Windows' - wait for it to finish.

Close your browser

1. Open File Manager and go to Downloads
  2. Double click balenaEtcher-Setup-x.x.xxx (x=version numbers, they change if a new one is produced).
  3. If Windows goes 'ding' and says something like 'Do you want to allow.....' - yes you do.
  4. Click 'I Agree' and Etcher is installed and opened for you - it did for me.
  5. Plug in your USB stick (4Gb or larger) - ensure there's nothing on the stick, it'll get overwritten with the Linux install files.
  6. Click Flash from file
  7. Go to your Downloads folder
  8. Click linuxmint20.2-mate-64bit (or the Linux image you downloaded) - click Open
  9. Click Select target
  10. Balena Etcher should only show the USB device you have plugged in - put a tick in the box next to it.
  11. Click Select
  12. Click Flash and Linux Mint should be written to the USB stick and then validated that the write was correct.

Close Etcher

That'll do for now - get to this point with Secure Boot disabled and a USB stick with Linux on and we'll go to the next step - installing Linux next to Windows soon.

Any questions or problems getting to this point start a new thread in this section and I and others will chip in with answers :) 

Images for some of the above steps

large.mint_download.png

large.mint_download2.png

large.balena_etcher.png

I need to click on Downloads on the left of the 'Open' window to find the Mint file I downloaded

large.balena_etcher_choose_file.png

large.balena_etcher_writing.png

large.balena_etcher_validating.png

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hey @Rural Buddha are you still about?

I followed the steps (i've not messed around with Linux for years) i've got Mate up and running. I was given a laptop that has a WHEA Uncorrectable error which was freezing up a lot. It would seem to be a hardware issue. I've fannied about in DOS and gained admin privileges and atttempted lot's of fixes but run into a brick wall as have no BitLocker Recovery Key.

Anyway, i have the computer now working with Ubuntu Mate (mate) without any freezes at all (it would say "Your machine has run into a problem. Please wait whilst we collect some information and then we'll restart for you 0%..... but the percentage would never move from 0%)

But....... I can only run Ubuntu from the trial (with the usb inserted) as it won't let me install it fully

Just wondered if you (or anyone else) has any thoughts? thanks

• Like 1

Hi @Barnes - I'm still about, after a minor crisis that I had to help with. Must admit though that I'd forgotten about this thread! Thanks for prodding me :) I'll finish it off soon.

I'm pretty baked as I read this, not sure if I'm understanding right. Linux USB images are basically a fully functioning operating system. It's even possible to make one with persistent storage to save docs, etc. DING! OK, light bulb moment(?) - you've done an install of Ubuntu but the laptop won't boot to it? You boot off the USB and the laptop works again. Possibly Windows Boot Loader is still in charge of booting. Newer laptops and PCs need an EFI partition for the boot loader. My brain is fading, see what you find with this info - if it's the reason.

I'd already typed this up before light bulb moment, I'll leave it here, believe you've got rid of Bitlocker partition?

As @Themadhippy says, if you don't need to get at the Bitlocker encrypted files use GParted on the Ubuntu USB (I think its in the Mint image, don't know about the Ubuntu one) to delete the Windows partitions before you try an install. Maybe even create a new partition table to really clear the drive. I use msdos, not tried gpt yet so no idea what that does :) Just had a quick look at difference, gpt is newer and more capable and I see no reason not to use it. I have an SSD and a spinning rust drive in my PC, the older normal HD is msdos, the SSD is gtp, I bunged Mint 20 on the normal drive, the SSD has an 'old' Mint 19 install with a lot of my data on it. I need a tidy up!

• Like 1

In the end i downloaded some windows 11 torrents and used rufus to burn the iso to the usb. bit of a faff in bios here and there but managed to install windows 11 pro and activated through command prompt.

it's not frozen....... yet.

See this is the thing. It never froze when using Ubuntu.. but as soon as it started o come into contact with Windows (installation) it was freezing up - the black screen of death (with the phony "we'll restart soon" message.

99.9% sure there's a hardware fault somewhere. . Device Manager shows everything working fine. Sorry for hijacking your thread :/

I've put Ubuntu Mate on another laptop to play about with. Though initial interactions still feel clunky and very hit and miss with regards to getting programs to install/work...

Very much reminded why i left Linux alone in various other lifetimes, but i keep coming back.. I want it to work- but a lot of the time something doesn't work or i just can't do it right